Hungarian Unreal article scans.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MakeMeUnreal

Oct 6, 2012
Hungary
[align=center]These are from a 98/7 PC-X magazine, featuring Unreal.[/align]
[align=center]
Code:
If somebody is interested in them, I can try to translate the articles
[/align]

[align=center]-MISC-[/align]

X-COM, and Klingon Honor Guard mentioned.
Duke Nukem Forever-> With Unreal engine
Unique cover...AGAIN?!

[[align=center]b]UNREAL POSTER[[/b][/align]

Code:
You can ask for the original scan via E-mail, or pm

Last edited:

MakeMeUnreal

Oct 6, 2012
Hungary
-Unreal PSX-
These are scans from a Hungarian PS magazine featuring the upcoming PSX title Unreal.
(I can translate it.)
This article introduces Unreal.

This one is about multiplayer in Quake II and Unreal PSX.
Code:
You can get the original scans via E-mail, or pm.

Ocsi88

Jul 20, 2009
Hmm, it says Quake 2 MP and Unreal in PS2.
Well, there is Unreal engine to PS2 (Deus Ex, UT, Rune), but they didn't port Unreal itself. ;(
Maybe the "Unreal PSX" is actually "Unreal PS2"?

BTW, Quake 2 was ported to N64, what basically seems like, the PSX version with the graphics of the PC version.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Hmm, it says Quake 2 MP and Unreal in PS2.
Well, there is Unreal engine to PS2 (Deus Ex, UT, Rune), but they didn't port Unreal itself. ;(
Maybe the "Unreal PSX" is actually "Unreal PS2"?

BTW, Quake 2 was ported to N64, what basically seems like, the PSX version with the graphics of the PC version.
No, Unreal PSX is for the original playstation and had to have those ultra low res textures. I think that article is just confusing things, like I said(Or didn't I, i thought i postd in this thread before).
I think they were talking about UT for PS2 in that particular article. It's not the first time a magazine does something stupid like this.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
That's not a real trailer but a showcase of his maps(not all of them even) from his general portfolio movie.
There was never a real trailer for the psx unreal.

Ocsi88

Jul 20, 2009
Now i read that unreal psx article...
It said, they didn't have much information about the PS version.
Heh, it saiys "kraal", the beta name of the krall, but maybe it's just a typo. :D

When they developed the PSX version?

MakeMeUnreal: When did they release this unreal ps article?

BTW, why didn't they make Unreal for PS2? Was it "outdated" for them? ;(

EDIT: Or for Dreamcast?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ocsi88

Jul 20, 2009
Because it wouldn't make as much profit as they wanted to.

I think that was the same reason to choose PSX instead of N64DD in 1999...

BTW, someone suggested on Epic forum to release it on XBLA.

I played unreal with x360 controller, and it feels good. :)
Only the min turning/looking speed is too high if the max is enough, even if i maximize the acceleration with tricking the values. ;(

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I think that was the same reason to choose PSX instead of N64DD in 1999...

BTW, someone suggested on Epic forum to release it on XBLA.

I played unreal with x360 controller, and it feels good. :)
Only the min turning/looking speed is too high if the max is enough, even if i maximize the acceleration with tricking the values. ;(
N64DD version was dropped because it wouldn't sell at all. The platform got delayed and was only released in Japan and it was a commercial flop because the games released were crap too. Unreal could have changed that but it was only avaiable in Japan. And having only japenese unreal release would be a bit too odd i guess.
As far as I know there was lots done on the N64 version, there was even a disc once sold somewhere as rarity, obtained from one of the devs, I found a guy who had it but the disc got destroyed/damaged and he threw it away. I don't know at all who exactly worked on the N64 version, as far as staff is concerned. I have theories like some of the team members could have even ended up in Retro, before being acquired by Nintendo. Because there is a strange link between early Unreal developement and Metroid Prime. In fact after all research I've done I came to conclusion that Metroid Prime is basically based on some iterations of Unreal engine to begin with. Retro originally developed mltiple games on their own, but I think they had Unreal engine license, but then Nintendo took over and the unreal engine link/reference was dropped and perhaps there were even some agreements to not say it because lots got changed codewise already.
Mind you, there was a thread/discovery claiming that it indeed is very modified unreal engine 2, we cannot know for sure until more research is done though but everything is pointing to it. I believe the coding language must have changed though but even during unreal developement it wasn't the same. And the arguments trying to debunk it saying that Unreal engine was subtractive instead of additive got it all wrong. Unreal started off as completely and truly additive world. The early versions are like this, then around December 1996 it got changed to subtractive as default, the world being filled by mass instead of void, but it's still possible to have additive levels as shown by the OU patch for example. The functionaility is there, in fact the subtractive method is the oddity, its basicaly like a big cube filling the world now to make it easier for indoor levels to be made etc etc and at time they couldnt figure better optimazition.

Status
Not open for further replies.