Diver's mask design (photoshop help)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
One of the things that I felt like the unreal series needed was something that made you feel like you were more underwater than a couple of bubbles and a change in the light. The addition of the scuba breathing sound helped but it needed something...more.
I crafted up a diver's mask that flips on when your head goes under, causing your HUD to look like you are peering from the inside out. It's hard to explain, but here's a quick 30 sec vid:
[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDww1KTefgc[/m]

I tried to incorporate some scratching inside to increase the impact of 'looking through' but it's not good. The proof of concept works, I like how it feels, it performs, but as usual everything I make is ugly.

Would someone want to craft me a nicer mask texture? I've done a few now and they all look increasingly b-a-d. I'd like it if it fit into the theme of Unreal (it's for my UT coop server) but I'll release this as a stand alone mod for any server once I get it sorted out. My base texture:

http://utrustedplayer.com/gopostal/RaReticle.bmp

It needs to have a uniform shape with black borders to account for the differing HUD sizes but there's room for poetic license. As you can see from the demo care must be exercised not to occlude too much of what the player can see.

Does anyone have the time to bust this out? I'll code you something up in return, etc.

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Sure, you just set it to draw after the HUD elements draw. HUD's are composed of multiple layers of tiles and changing the order of drawing will draw things under other things.

I did actually try this and it didn't have the feel and visual effect I really wanted. It looked more like you were looking down a scope. By making some of the tiles get fuzzy it looks more unique.

If I get some help with this and it gets a good texture I'll make the mod configurable as to when it draws. It's actually easier to make it not mess up the normal stuff but I'll code it to work either way.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Always with the cool ideas !
You just can't stop yourself, can you.
And no you don't make ugly stuff. Just sometimes "rough around the edges" ;)
But then you don't always get the help you deserve.

Very bloody valid point. In all the years we've had the scuba pickup, we never had a visual effect for it, just that loud and annoying breathing sound (the sound of a deap-sea helmet).
I always thought the sound of bubbles should be louder, and make proper use of EAX for the whooshing underwater sound (but then you cannot rely on people updating to enable EAX).

I take your point completely about getting the balance, as even in the newer UTs when you get in a HellBender, you cannot see through the scratched windows.

The issue with the realism factor, is that real scratches appear and disappear, depending on the availability or direction of light (is this possible to factor in, the way reflection/shine is done on windows?).

Also, I think as the visor is close, maybe the problem is the scratches are too well defined.
I think the effect you need is to "imply" the scratches are there. Softer/blurrier.
eg. The soft scratch in the top-left, is more convincing than the others in full-screen.
If you wear glasses, shades, or motorbike helmet, you will be familiar with the effect.