Unreal PSX

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
There were some promotional screenshots from late alpha versions of Unreal which had player wielding the quadshot.

I've never seen these shots before. I've heard of them, and I've hunted high and low for them, but nothing has turned up..

Do you have any of these shots Leo?

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
Wow.....I would pay good money to actually have any of those Betas. That automag is unlike any I have ever seen, even different from the old 97/98 one.
Thanks again Leo!

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
There was an archive with these shots and maybe more on some site. forgot where though. I maybe have it somewhere on DVD but not sure.

We are getting little offtopic now.... I am still curious about the real name for the project, they must have proposed some real title by the end already. I hope eVOLVE can answer that. And to answer exus tecius more clearly (and if there were any more enemy types, maybe variants on old enemies), or explain what the implant gun really did.

Last edited:

eVOLVE

Jan 27, 2010
We just referred to it as Unreal PSX or PSX Unreal. I got the impression it would have just been called Unreal. We used a lot of variety in terms of the tweaks you can make to normal enemies. Size, fatness... all that kind of stuff. Generally most of the stuff didn't need new enemies. Unreal has plenty, especially since our audience was going to be people that probably hadn't played the original. Honestly, how many people bought Half Life on PS2 after playing it on the PC?

Implant gun would allow you to take over certain enemies (that we could choose) to do simple puzzles like flicking a switch on an otherwise inaccessible place, or just take out a few enemies up ahead without risking yourself. It was however rare that it was an essential part of progress, because otherwise you have the Half Life syndrome of killing the wrong NPC and being unable to progress. Then we'd use constantly spawning NPCs and telegraph the fact that it was essential. At least if I remember correctly, that was the way it worked :)

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Yeah true, but if it was later ported as missionpack as someone suggested, what name would it posibly have? Or what name did you think of? I mean Unreal PSX is referred to as a working title still. Doesn't matter if you don't know, or if nobody told you though...but if this gets released for free on the PC version, it would be better if it had some subtitle.

So it worked like Wheel of Time? There is this artifact with mask shape which makes you disguised, but you can't use the pawn weapons etc. Also there was this switch places thing, which until you've reached place spwned the enemies constantly if they were killed. Of course things like that kinda kill cooperative game...I remember trying out fake coop in wot by using deathmatch gametype instead and that these were ocassions where we would unable to progress, but if someone made real coop game for it (I was thinking of making it, maybe I still will in future) and solve map bugs through mutator it would become playable, but still these ocassions with spawning enemies are tricky to solve right, that would mean one would need to pull of infinite spawning without triggering it off for coop.

And as for Half life, the missionpacks mostly solved it that way that the game ended, even in few ocassions in the original game. But it is restricting.

Last edited:

eVOLVE

Jan 27, 2010
Honestly, no idea. I've always been leaning towards probably no chance, but hey, doesn't hurt to ask, does it?

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
It would be good if I could convince Nathan to release it, or at least the maps from Eric Reuter, since he has it all with him, but he started fearing the legal problems, which he is not sure would apply in that case, but he is not riscing it anyway. But I think the fears are unfounded imo due to many reasons, just beacuse some of the newest projects he worked in were much more restricting doesn't mean this was and compared to its age and fact it was not released, etc and because it wouldn't be a free game as well. And after all Nick Pelling allowed Matthew Kagle to release his reworked levels, if they are not released as official or something.
But Nathan didn't respond to my suggestions yet (as I proposed he could send it to Eric Reuter who could sort it out)...and it's been a month since. :(

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
eVOLVE, I wanted to ask...was there any new music used in Unreal PSX, or perhaps used some tracks from Alexander Brandon which didn't make it to original Unreal? There were plenty of other tracks by him.

Also...do you remember who was writing the storyline? If you can answer that. The story is very unlike the usual Unreal stuff, so I wonder who wrote it actually.

eVOLVE

Jan 27, 2010
Don't remember any new music. The selection available for the original Unreal were great, and dynamic, so we probably didn't need any more for standard levels. However I reckon there may have been some specific stuff made for cinematics.

As for the story, I don't remember who wrote that... it was all written by the time I came onboard, I believe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Don't remember any new music. The selection available for the original Unreal were great, and dynamic, so we probably didn't need any more for standard levels. However I reckon there may have been some specific stuff made for cinematics.

As for the story, I don't remember who wrote that... it was all written by the time I came onboard, I believe.

Well, given that some of the music in Unreal was unused as well, it may have not been needed, but Unreal PSX didn't need to have all these music files in, but it could have some exclusive ones instead of using again the tracks that were used in Unreal or having them in directory. And the fact that Mac version of Unreal had even more unused tracks, which some of them ended in Return to Na Pali, under different names. I still don't have the Mac exlcusive files though, I asked someone to upload it long ago, but nobody upped these music files yet. Although I do know them (or older versions of the tracks), it is always better to have the original files.

Anyway, Nathan Silvers replied, he said he looked for the stuff, but he doesn't seem to have it anymore, or just couldn't find it and that he had some hard drive failures.
So...it is up to you eVOLVE (unless someone else will be found who has the stuff), when you get back to UK, I hope you still have it then...sigh, or at least on a CD.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I have found other contacts for Jason Watkins meanwhile (I contacted him already, waiting for reply, beacuse he seemed to be unactive at his site account) and also I found another guy who might have worked on the Unreal PSX, I am not sure if he was responsible for porting it on the PSX hardware or not or what he exactly worked on (I suppose coding), but I was able to find this information. I am gonna contact him now and see.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Great news in. Majority of the stuff will be released very soon it seems. All of the levels of one level designer I contacted, plus 10 other levels.

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Great news in. Majority of the stuff will be released very soon it seems. All of the levels of one level designer I contacted, plus 10 other levels.

Yayayayay! Getting the Unreal betas don't seem likely, so this is nice alternate to those.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I have it! But...I fear it can't be released in the state it is, since it can be run standalone, we need to do some changes before releasing it, also it doesn't have all the levels, just all the levels from Elya, plus some other stuff in temporary directories. So...hold on I guess. Also the default settings is really weird, the software rendering makes it render so...well it is on lowest possible settings with lowest texture detail, also with low res versions of the textures. Also there are unique unreal psx texture packages. Unfortunately, there are no normal res versions of the new packages avaiable, while there are of the usual textures. Kinda sucks....

But well here is a proof I got it (screens taken with glide emulator):

[SCREENSHOT]http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6155/shot0004w.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/6575/shot0003w.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/9546/shot0002ct.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9928/shot0001k.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3103/shot0000mg.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

OMG that looks like Stargate Atlantis!

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Some answers to the questions which raised:

- This version doesn't seem to have working quadshot, dunno which version did then.

- Implant gun causes game to freeze due to a bug and is not in unrealshare as one map requires it.

- The ship seen in the video by Nathan Silvers IS Vortex Rikers and you access it by a side door behind the rock, you go through a cave there and also the nyleve falls have lava now, as in ONP. Sadly not all Nathan's levels are in this, there are missing one, especially the second nalivillage set is not there, only the first map of that nalivillage set.

- you indeed revisit the vortex rikers, although only one map seems to be in from that set, there were multiple, lots of maps missing.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2606/vortexo.jpg - link doesn't work anymore, switching
[SCREENSHOT]http://www.unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/UPSXbonus/vortexo.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Funny to see Kralls in Vortex Rikers though....but they make sense since they are the weakest enemy(also skaarjscouts are there), although first enemy you meet is lesserbrute in a cave.

- It is clear now what Matthew Kagle did with his reworked levels, he reimported the levels in this same version and used the normal res textures instead. This fully explains it.

- Your character is supposed to be Male3-I think Bane.
The scripts hint to that since some are made for male3 only, etc.
- it seems to be the late 1999 version, lots of files missing though, only the maps from Elya have newer dates. But it looks just like any standard developement folders, in fact I have seen simmilar structure in the Daikatana betas I had chance to play.

- there is something else I wanted to say but goddamn, I can't remember it at all.

- The design documents would be useful here, I am gonna ask if they have it. Also it is not clear to me whether vortex rikers had more parts, I mean the ship could fall apart in three pieces just like UMS Prometheus.

- I tried using the vortex map, it worked obviously under unrealgold if i copied the needed textures over. Thankfully the map does not use any of the new scripts, maybe except for npscript.

- The voice acting is not present in this version.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.