Spider Mines [trap]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
The AVRiL should be renamed to AWRiL, as it seems to think walls are a bigger threat. and you cant just fire and not lock on because the weapon doesnt like that, as it has this huge lock on radious, it will lock on if you want to or not, it also likes to pick the wrong target and give you no question and what to aim at because AVRiL knows best. Im not saying that all vehicles should be taken out with one hit, im more like saying wheres the real anti vehicle weapons in the game. The AVRiL is more of an AA weapon, there should be a equivalent weapon thats dumb firing that has alot more speed.
I have no problem hitting my choice of target. Even if there's several.
When a one man hellbender is comming my way i better GTFO or eat **** and die, you can do nowhere near the ideal damage result at all to that party bus while it whirls in circles raping and honking its way to victory, and yes it does seem logical for one man to be greater then a vehicle in at least one situation, even stealth has been robbed from the common foot soilder.
Foot vs. Vehicle, the foot soldier should nearly always be at a disadvantage. Retreat but fire at it - even if it kills you you're putting hurt on it, which is strategically more important than your life.
Like the columns in suspence, noclipping fun that never ends. I dont want to be running around rocks all day, and mantas dont really bother me if i have my shock and have spotted them already, even when they are close to me i can pretty much stay alive way longer then anyone ive seen using the same weapon loadouts, its just when a scorpion comes by and blows up 20 meters away and kills you, while the driver slowly decends down to earth with no 2k4 floaty looking gravity at all.
It's an explosion. If a car blows up 20 meters away, you think it's not going to hurt you?

Also, you're grossly exaggerating.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
What I find frustrating about the spider mines is this: it's not a player vs player battle anymore.

When someone hops in a darkwalker, a much stronger weapon than a spidermine trap, and me and my team have to coordinate to get it out of the way, that's the simple result of the enemy team getting the darkwalker first.

However, the crucial difference is: it's the skill of the darkwalker player vs us. If he's good at raping my entire team 4 times in a row, he 'wins'. If he's not, we 'win' and take him down quickly.

A player just dumping a spidermine trap somewhere on the battlefield has nothing to do with his skill. He just drops it and goes to do something else, all the while getting free kills from it. It doesn't matter one bit if the player in question is a complete newbie or a seasoned veteran, he'll get the kills. Even if all he does after that is stand in a corner.
You're not fighting a player anymore, you're fighting a scripted sequence.

The trap is hard enough to spot as it is on most technological-styled maps like Necropolis. Add to that that you can't destroy it.
Destroying all 15 spidermines one by one is just stupid. If your opponents are even remotely decent, you'll be shot or roadkilled before you even get to the third one, and yes, that's assuming a simple 4v4.

-
Now, I'm all for strategic placement of things that can turn the tide of a battle. Whenever these items cannot be destroyed it just becomes stupid.
It's like you could put a 10 meter high wall around your flag with the press of a button, equally stupid and requiring no skill at all.

I don't consider it skillful to drive a nearly invisible vehicle into a base while everyone else is a bit preoccupied not getting blown up by huge walkers, flying vehicles, rocket launchers and shock combos. If you can spot a stealth vehicle in the heat of battle, more power to you, but I'd say it's not that easy.

Last edited:

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
It's an explosion. If a car blows up 20 meters away, you think it's not going to hurt you?

This game mechanic obviously came from XMP where if any vehicle touched another they would explode. Leading to people boosting with the raptors into tanks and at the last second jumping out. This was completely restricted to vehicle on vehicle collisions and there was a risk in doing it as you could end up killing yourself. the scorpian and viper just abuse this feature by using it on everything and anything, most of the time just to get to higher grounds.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
Fixed

Little risk, great reward.

lol Irony.

Anyways, both said vehicles are quite easy to blew away with avril or something else. And not so little risk imo, cause when you're falling (hovering) to the ground you're pretty much defenseless, and since you fall pretty slowly, is really easy to tell where you're gonna land and then get raped, well, at least i can do it

WildmouseX

Mar 30, 2004

WildmouseX

Mar 30, 2004
Even with all the "upgrades" it isn't that hard to take out a scorpion or a manta or a viper or a scavenger on your own. All it takes is a bit of thinking, timing, and dodging around obstacles. Try putting an large rock or a column between you and a manta. Works wonders.

manta's and vipers are easily dodged with the fain death button.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I really have no clue on what you're talking about. This forum is like a maze of confrontation anyway, it doesn't matter who said it, Dark Pusle is right (For once?!), when you fain death you still can get crushed/pancaked. Everyone posting here should know that by now.

Well, apparently, not everyone. :lol:

Last edited:

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
SOMEONE MAKE A DM MUT THAT TURNS ALL WEAPS TO SPIDERS LOLOROLFZZZ!!!

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
As a primary shock user myself i can honestly say that shock combo'ing a vehicle is a waste of time, even on mantas its 30% chance, that 240 damage just doesnt get translated. the only weapon that does 100% damage potential to a vehicle is the flack cannon.

30% chance? chance? CHANCE? You fire a combo and if they are decent they dodge it. Its not "chance." And if they do dodge it you dodge them and try another combo. And the flak cannon has a pretty wide radius of fire, so I don't see much "100%" always hitting a vehicle.

The AVRiL should be renamed to AWRiL, as it seems to think walls are a bigger threat. and you cant just fire and not lock on because the weapon doesnt like that, as it has this huge lock on radious, it will lock on if you want to or not, it also likes to pick the wrong target and give you no question and what to aim at because AVRiL knows best. Im not saying that all vehicles should be taken out with one hit, im more like saying wheres the real anti vehicle weapons in the game. The AVRiL is more of an AA weapon, there should be a equivalent weapon thats dumb firing that has alot more speed.

You ever tried its secondary fire? Because otherwise I'm going to question your aim. Its meant to be an easy to use anti vehicle device. Obviously it will lock on when you bring the crosshair over a vehicle. Your not trying to use it against infantry, are you? And there is an equivalent: The rocket launcher.

When a one man hellbender is comming my way i better GTFO or eat **** and die, you can do nowhere near the ideal damage result at all to that party bus while it whirls in circles raping and honking its way to victory, and yes it does seem logical for one man to be greater then a vehicle in at least one situation, even stealth has been robbed from the common foot soilder.

Stealth? Stealth tactics in UT? Never heard that one before.

Like the columns in suspence, noclipping fun that never ends. I dont want to be running around rocks all day,

Ugh if you have your flak cannon in suspense (which you should because every spawn has it) then you should easily deal with mantas using the columns, at it shouldn't take you more than a 30 second fight.

and mantas dont really bother me if i have my shock and have spotted them already, even when they are close to me i can pretty much stay alive way longer then anyone ive seen using the same weapon loadouts,

Way up there^^ you said the shock had 30% chance and now you say your pro with it...

its just when a scorpion comes by and blows up 20 meters away and kills you, while the driver slowly decends down to earth with no 2k4 floaty looking gravity at all.

Because its so terrible that UT3 doesn't have Ut2004 floaty gravitation.

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
Well your half way there, you quoted me but didnt read any of it.

Most of the time mantas drive directly at you from a jump, so they pretty much have only one way to manover and that is down. A shock ball is fired in the centre of where the ground and manta is, and as it drives over or under the ball you combo it, sometimes its a direct kill, some times its a push away, and most of the time its a fly right through it at accelerated speed in your direction FTL.

And with the flak cannon, i said 100% damage potencial, not 100% accuracy.

The AVRiL missle is an interceptor, it travels to where the vehicle is heading to, not directly at it, most of the time it travels to a nearby wall.

Sneaking around a tank and other vehicles to get to objectives is pretty stealthy.

The collomns in suspence are clippable, strickly for easier vehicle maneuverability, i dont think they did this to make it easier for footsoilders to pass through.

Shock combo has 30% chance the other 2 fire modes are more then enough to keep them at bay, shock ball for close encounters, shock prime for distance.

Ejecting from the scorpion makes the pilot float down to the ground, with less gravity then in 2k4

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Not sure if it's still in or not, but I remember that AVRiL rockets could be relocked by teammates
Ex: Player A dumbfires his avril rocket towards a tank, Player B locks his launcher onto a Manta, Player A's rockets veers towards the Manta, usually smacking a wall