Official bot config menu whine thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Here you can voice your deep and righteous indignation re the (still!) missing bot config menu, and related matters like the lack of custom voice pack support. It's a long shot, but if enough of us whine long enough and publicly enough, Epic might actually fix this, eventually.
:llama:

UTbotroster_MIA.jpg

UTbotconfig_MIA.jpg

(waste not, want not!)

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I too am waiting for Gordot.

Bot menus or bust, are they really so much to ask of "the best UT yet for offline players"? as was shouted loudly many times in the pre-release hype for this game, and honestly now, how bloody hard can it be to make a drag'n'drop interface for bot selection, just copy what you had in UT2004, that was good enough (giving us what UT had would be even better! but 2k4 will suffice).

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Bot menus or bust, are they really so much to ask of "the best UT yet for offline players"?
Yes, they are. Why is this so important? Just click bots, and pick the bots you want- I se enothing wrong with the list box interface. So you dont get fancy drag and drop. Big Whoop. I've played around with all those ai settings and they dont seem to do a whole lot. Why do we need to tweak the campiniess of bots on an individual bot basis? Why is this important?

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I only used this a couple of times in 2k3 when wanting to try out skins/models in action. Didn't see the point of it otherwise since I rarely play offline, but it doesn't hurt to have it there for those who do.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Yes, they are. Why is this so important? Just click bots, and pick the bots you want- I se enothing wrong with the list box interface.

The list box is annoying as hell if you have lots of custom content, and want to change the active bot list regularly (especially in team games). Yes, it 'works', but it's pretty much the opposite of user friendly, and an idiotic throwback compared to 2K4's/99's menu. And it's especially painful after all the pre-release blah blah about this being the best offline UT evah, etc.

I've played around with all those ai settings and they dont seem to do a whole lot. Why do we need to tweak the campiniess of bots on an individual bot basis? Why is this important?

It's always nice to give bots a little extra personality, even if the changes are relatively subtle. Also being able to permanently designate bots as either support, attack, defence etc. can be pretty useful. True, by themselves these and other flaws aren't so bad, but all of them combined...

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Yes, they are.

Explain, they where perfectly capable of designing this in 3 past games, and all of a sudden it's too much to ask?

Why is this so important? Just click bots, and pick the bots you want- I se enothing wrong with the list box interface.

Thats great, now try managing a whole bunch of custom models along the default ones, making teams that fit some theme you want to play, and play it 3 versus 5, and do this on a regular basis.. yeah, not gonna happen, not only will it be a huge pain in the arse to do this, you cannot make unequal teams the way things are now.

This menu is undeniably a downgrade compared to past versions, and that's not debatable, and it is important to many people, such as myself, infact it is the number one reason i am not playing UT3, and uninstalled it shortly after getting it.

So you dont get fancy drag and drop. Big Whoop. I've played around with all those ai settings and they dont seem to do a whole lot. Why do we need to tweak the campiniess of bots on an individual bot basis? Why is this important?

So you want a server browser that works, Big Whoop, i don't use it so clearly it is not nessesary, and you are obiously a madman for suggesting such a thing be made, what a waste of time it is, surely you could all be just as happy typing IP's into the console.

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
That was such a terrible joke :(
Not a very tasteful joke either. I mean I could barely find a bot before when I have to scroll over the whole list for some particular bot. Not to mention the even bigger issue I have where the bot and mutator lists get reset to default every time I return back to the menu; that was the biggest problem for offline before, but fortunately it seems they might have fixed that in 2.0. As long as they have that fixed then a random bot selection option is good enough for me.

Well maybe also add an auto-skill adjust option; I mean its important enough for QuakeLive to add it on top of Q3, that should say something.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
The fact that voicepacks are hardcoded to a certain character is even more annoying than a missing bot-configurator.
The latter could (in theory) be fixed by a 3rd party mod/tool.

I really wished we could make our own teams, because now we're stuck with the bot-families and (to make matters worse) that selection is limited to the stock-families.

I doubt either is going to happen though, because even thought the bot-config was absent in UT2k3 it was added in one of the first patches IIRC. I doubt that Epic is going to add even more in a second bonuspack (if there will be one that is).

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
MapMixer has a bot/factions config so it's worth checking if you're impatient.

2 things about that.. we wont know if it works with the TP till that gets here, and if a modder can do it, then so can Epic!

MapMixer is nice to be sure (and i still wonder why Epic has not adopted some of thease features!), but it is also a tad too complicated if all you want to do is setup 2 teams and play a quick match on a specific map.
MapMixer is best used to make fairly permanent roosters and rotations, it is not so handy for constant tinkering about with stuff and quick matches.

Every UT till now has had this basic bot stuff, and this one had better have it too if i am to play it, had i known in advance that UT3 was this downgraded and impotent when it comes to instant Action, i would not have wasted my money.. but instead, they told us that this would be the best Offline UT yet, and neglected to tell us that all thease cool features they where hyping didn't make it into the final game.

Yeah, i feel pretty cheated to say the least..

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
The fact that voicepacks are hardcoded to a certain character is even more annoying than a missing bot-configurator.

Indeed, RIP voice modding... :( But why stop there; they also almost killed off (and certainly crippled) the character modeling scene with all the bugs, limitations, almost total lack of tutorials etc. It's only thanks to the skill and persistence of people like Davision and EvilEngine that we have (decent) custom models at all. Sure, some things have been / will be fixed in the patches, but the damage is already done. Of course, the PS3 crowd got raped even worse, custom content wise, but fortunately that isn't my problem...

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I am probably one of those few people that never bothered at changing voices for my chosen characters.

I find it completely unnecessary compared to a bot config menu.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
2 things about that.. we wont know if it works with the TP till that gets here
It does work. Mapmixer has almost no issues with the patch.

The only thing that has an issue with the new patch is the character customization screen- the redesigned UI appearance doesn't agree with mapmixer's replacing of the menu map or something, and you can't see the model you're customizing. You can still use the menu, but you're editing settings blind.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
It does work. Mapmixer has almost no issues with the patch.

Thats the patch, not the Titan Pack, which will add a whole bunch of stuff (including Engine updates apparently) that may break MapMixer support for some time.

And besides, that still does not adress my issues with the Instant Action as i have explained.

Anyway, lets pile on some more dead horse beatings!

Gameplay options, where the bloomin hell are they? where's the spawn-protection time settings? the option to enable or disable Brightskins? Freindly fire scale? core drain amount? and so on..

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I am probably one of those few people that never bothered at changing voices for my chosen characters.

I find it completely unnecessary compared to a bot config menu.

Why is bot config menu important? I hardly used it, only at UT and original Unreal to change skin and/or name (ages ago I used to change name of Bot to someone who pissed me off, be it teacher from school or some guy who pissed me off :lol:)

That should be there but other bot customization menu? Why? UT2004 style no way...either the old style or nothing...
In UT3 you already can add bots you want to a game, just select them and then set the players number back to normal, that way the three bots for exmaple you selected will be always in started game session, the others will be optional...

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
Yes, they are. Why is this so important? Just click bots, and pick the bots you want.....

You're joking, right?

You don't even get to pick who is on your team.. There is only a single list, even for team games?!
Where's the list for Red team and Blue team??

Also I go through the list of text names and forget what half the custom characters look like, a small portrait would be nice..

And you know what I miss.. being able to play with uneven teams, especially in CTF or even making a team-deathmatch with me against 10 bots. Offline used to be a lot more fun..
Ok.. so they decided to make it simpler, but I just can't believe/accept how extreme the lack of control is, I don't think it's asking very much..

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
The "i dont use it" argument is pointless, i dont use the server browser, should that be removed then? no, obviously not.

Thease things are important to a group of players, and thats all the reason needed to include them, we're not asking Epic to pluck the moon and the stars from the heavens, and delivering them on a silver platter, we are just asking them to deliver the same basic functionality that the previous games in the franchise had, no more and no less.

And if they can't do this, basic as it is, then what reason do i have to play their game? i still own UT and 2k4, excellent games in their own right, why should i choose to play a downgraded sequal over thease? and if this is how it's going to be from now on, then i am done with this franchise, sad as that is, but it just isen't going to be fun for me anymore :(