Sarah Palin's Email Hacked

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
By that logic, we could put just about anyone in office - so, why not just vote Obama and call it a day, hmmm?

Bad policies?

SlayerDragon; said:
Wow this is a great argument.

Guess the pun was missed... I was inferring this notion like what we had with Bush; that we could put anyone in office, because he/she will be surrounded by experts (or neo cons, as it were).

Once in office, policies are often shaped by those said 'experts' *cough* lobbyists *cough*, btw, so regardless of what they stump on during the campaign, and what actually comes out as a bill will likely be something different - gasp.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I understand that we've been told this by his surrogates and campaign operatives; they would have us believe that the reason he is completely ignorant with regard to computers is because of injury/disability ...

I can't read the entire thread yet so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. Your assumption simply isn't true. The McCain campaign never brought it up. This information was published over a year ago by numerous news agencies. It wasn't until after internet bloggers, and news outlets started to point it out, that the McCain campaign started to use it as well. Nobody ever went into the details because it was already well known that he endured physical injury during his captivity, and at the time of these reports the specifics weren't really relevant.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
By that logic, we could put just about anyone in office - so, why not just vote Obama and call it a day, hmmm?

Guess the pun was missed... I was inferring this notion like what we had with Bush; that we could put anyone in office, because he/she will be surrounded by experts (or neo cons, as it were).

Once in office, policies are often shaped by those said 'experts' *cough* lobbyists *cough*, btw, so regardless of what they stump on during the campaign, and what actually comes out as a bill will likely be something different - gasp.

Oh, I understood perfectly what you were saying. It's a stupid and terrible argument that you're also only applying to one party.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
There's little more to talk about Palin's email issue: she probably didn't say anything totally incriminating on her Yahoo account, as the ultra-liberals were no doubt hoping to find. Nevertheless, it is still naïve as hell to let even a shred of government business–related communication slip into a freaking Yahoo account, (a) because it puts sensitive information or a trail leading to it on some uncontrollable Yahoo server somewhere in California, and (b) because it furthers the perception of secrecy, cronyism, and anti-transparency that's already dogging her.

The... War Hero card? What are the "issues du jour: is he claiming to be above? I say imagined because he already said he was learning, making the implication that he "doesn't have to learn" impossible.

Look, I don't want to see someone crying out "poor me" whenever he or she is in a jam, but why is it an implausibility that injuries are a deterrent from using a machine? Clearly he is generally aware of the capabilities and use of a PC. He never said that he hadn't ever used one.
Well, again, that's just not enough.

And I've already given an example of what I wish his campaign would have said in response to this particular "issue du jour".

Again, lots of assumptions here. Now, it's certainly within your rights to say to a candidate "this is important to me and I am not convinced it is important to you". All of this from his comment that he was "computer illiterate". I've also heard he doesn't personally attend to his email. But again, we're looking at the non-usage of a machine and assuming that he does not understand the significance of technology.
"he does not understand the significance of technology" ... as well as someone who does use the stuff regularly. Yes sir, that is correct.

You're right, you didn't asset it, you suggested it, and the suggestion was that he dumped her because she was crippled. There's a fundamental difference in what you said then and what you just said.
Her own words, fwiw ... spin it however you will:
The breakup of our marriage was not caused by my accident or Vietnam or any of those things. I don't know that it might not have happened if John had never been gone. I attribute it more to John turning 40 and wanting to be 25 again than I do to anything else.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/specials/mccain/articles/0301mccainbio-chapter5.html

I can't read the entire thread yet so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. Your assumption simply isn't true. The McCain campaign never brought it up. This information was published over a year ago by numerous news agencies. It wasn't until after internet bloggers, and news outlets started to point it out, that the McCain campaign started to use it as well. Nobody ever went into the details because it was already well known that he endured physical injury during his captivity, and at the time of these reports the specifics weren't really relevant.
Huh? Look, brief history: awhile ago some reporter asks McCain something offhanded about computers, McCain says he knows nothing and doesn't use them, attention is called to those comments by major news outlets (and a mass of liberal bloggers, I would imagine), they're repeated in an Obama ad, McCain surrogates/operatives respond to the ad—not by extolling any of his tech policies and comparing them with Obama's, but by playing the War Hero card.

That's not assumption, that's what happened.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Understanding the significance of something has nothing to do with actually using it, that is a poor argument. I don't know why it's surprising that an old guy who has a bunch of aides to do things for him doesn't do them himself. It's not like he needs to use a computer to do his job.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Sometimes a bad thing an be good...

As much as I don't like invasion of privacy, Palin is a moose-shooting creationist, who's going to do about as much good for the US (and the world) than Adolf Hitler did for Germany. Therefore I don't have a lot of sympathy.

Apr 11, 2006
Nevertheless, it is still naïve as hell to let even a shred of government business–related communication slip into a freaking Yahoo account, (a) because it puts sensitive information or a trail leading to it on some uncontrollable Yahoo server somewhere in California, and (b) because it furthers the perception of secrecy, cronyism, and anti-transparency that's already dogging her.

Well, I can agree it was not the best security practice. I also think it's a bit naive to think that anyone can maintain an absolute firewall between their personal and professional lives. Keep in mind I haven't read her entire mailbox so I don't know what's in there. From the 4chan poster who hacked into her account there was nothing incriminating though, and the guy was clearly looking for it.

As for point (b), I'm really baffled. What the hell does getting your email hacked have to do with secrecy, cronyism, and anti-transparency? Unless you mean the secrecy, cronyism, and anti-transparency of the people who are desperately trying to pin something on her?

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Palin is a moose-shooting creationist, who's going to do about as much good for the US (and the world) than Adolf Hitler did for Germany.
Come on!

She might well be a moose-shooting creationist but to compare her to Adolf Hitler (in any respect) is going too far. I don't see how you can justify the comparison.

First rule of e-mail: Never write anything in an e-mail that you wouldn't be willing to shout across a crowded street.

Such a hard rule to live by... :(

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
As for point (b), I'm really baffled. What the hell does getting your email hacked have to do with secrecy, cronyism, and anti-transparency?
Quite possibly nothing; "perception of" is what I said though. She's already begun to suffer from a very real problem of transparency, as she decries investigations as political smear, refuses to comply with congressional subpoenas, isolates herself with inner-circle appointees, regularly directs said subordinates not to talk to the media, exerts "executive privilege" hither and yon ...

How vaguely reminiscent.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
If he can eat a meal with a fork and Knife, he can use a computer. If he can only use one hand, then he can still operate a mouse and type with one hand. It amy take longer but it still works.

Its not like the keyboard is sooooo far away from your body.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
If he can eat a meal with a fork and Knife, he can use a computer.
yea, but think about how long it takes to eat a meal vs. how much the average computer user puts in every day.

assuming both tasks require the same amount of stress on him... what would you opt to do? drink through a tube so you can increase your online time. c'mon... ;)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
McCain's probably wears diapers.

I don't see why people are making such a big deal about this. All those warrantless wiretaps the gov't loves so much are pretty much the same thing.

But I guess as average citizens we don't have a right to privacy while gov't workers do...?

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
I don't see why people are making such a big deal about this. All those warrantless wiretaps the gov't loves so much are pretty much the same thing.

Sounds like a good reason to make a big deal out of it to me. I don't understand how anyone opposed to unwarranted wiretapping can just shrug this off because, hey, it happened to the other guys.