What would get you to play at FragBU?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
a fat bag of weed on my computer desk and nothing else to do.
This would help, though I see how you guys would be limited in what you can do about that :p
Advertise FragBU starting on Thursday's on the front page so it gives people a chance to see the info.
This would help.

Put 1 bot on so when the first player joins they can smash a bot for a bit while waiting for other players.
This too. Only thing worse than playing against a bot is just spec'ing for ages.

I don't really enjoy CTF in UT3.
TDM/WAR sure.

Same here really. 'cept I do enjoy it, only now and again. I know to many of you saying that is blasphemy :shy:
The times I've been on it seems like it was always CTF?

I've tried to attend a few times but didn't really get any games out of it per se. What time is it meant to go down roughly? (In GMT if possible :p)

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Actually playing UT3 motivates me to come.

Grobut why would you want to emulate the game you don't want to play?

I've just been busy/distracted on weekends recently (WoW) and with some real life issues (WoW) and school (skipping to play WoW). I think I'll make room in my schedule (WoW) to play at FragBU (not WoW?) this weekend though :)

JK about the WoW stuff.

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Ramp dodge and proper maps...
And for gods sake less rocket direct damage and a larger splash.

That's all it's missing right now imo.

Did they fix the favourite problem in 1.3?

@dub: it usually starts at 24:00 - 1AM GMT but is known to start as late as 3AM.

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Grobut why would you want to emulate the game you don't want to play?

The devil is in the details my good man, but i'll keep this short since its nothing that hasen't been said a million times before:

I like UT3's gameplay, i really do, its good and solid, and i love how it feels more grounded and not as floaty as 2k4, and the guns feel more powerfull, that its more like UT and doesen't have adrenaline and junk like that, the gameplay has never been the problem, atleast not for me and many more.

Its everything else about UT3 i don't like, its the Gamespy stuff, the bad interface, the missing customization stuff, how the mouse just feels off somehow, and the vehical handling too, how cluttered the maps look with all thouse details, its just one big hassle, and more so, one big dissapointment to me every time i launch it, and it will remain so untill it is fixed good and propper (which i seriously doubt will happen, sadly).

2k4 though is still solid and rich in features compared to just about anything else out there you could care to name, it is a solid and good platform, its gameplay is just too.. done to death after all thease years, and it has some nasty positive-feedback-loop problems, so i'm thinking a merging of the two, 2k4's solid platform, and UT3's solid and fresher gameplay, would work out really well.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Most of us who show up don't mind playing other gametypes. It simply seems that nobody who plays them shows up :)

Also, say something when you vote for another gametype. The voting menu is long and a POS so half the time nobody will notice what you've voted for.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Also, if someone votes a game type that you don't like, everyone should play through the map and not flake out and try to piston everyone or do car tricks. That alienates people. Play it through and vote for something different when the map is over in a few minutes.

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
What we need is an uber fun little mod with teams and away so that even noobs like me can win once in a while.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Also, if someone votes a game type that you don't like, everyone should play through the map and not flake out and try to piston everyone or do car tricks. That alienates people. Play it through and vote for something different when the map is over in a few minutes.
Amen, FFS.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Yeah, UT3 game play is far superior. My gripes with it would be:

Frames per second.
Frames per second.
and...
Frames per second.

I really don't even care that much about the front end stuff, once you're connected to a server, all that stuff is behind you.

I don't play 2kx because of game play issues, and I rarely play UT3 because of performance issues. Hence, a hybrid of UT3 game play, and 2kx performance would be great IMO. I, though, would rather tolerate low frames, than pewpewpew.

(also removing the shield feature would require quite a bit of tweaking with the hit-scanz)

Apr 11, 2006
You woulden't need a carbon copy, just to tweak the gameplay to have the same sort of balance and play, tweak damage values, make the shieldgun work like the impact hammer, the AR work like the enforcer (new models for them would be a bonus, but not required), add a hoverboard and orb, tweak player movement a bit, and you would get the same basic gameplay, but on a platform that just plain works, and has a wealth of maps for it.

Orb-like behavior would definitely be doable if you wanted to bother making the nodes to support it.

Oh, and check out ONS-DW-2Tricky on the Clan Death Warrant servers. We've got a Hoverboard on there, and also a Scorpion with (a) UT3-style projectiles that hit nearby flying/hover vehicles (b) Speed Boost (c) Self-Destruct. The only thing that's really missing is the hover grapple.

In theory we could add the Hoverboard to DWOnslaught and make it an item that you can pull up by pressing a key. This is done on the Clan DW Invasion server - You can set a key which pulls up your hoverboard on some of the larger maps.

Edit: As my two cents, I would probably play if it was FragBU 2k4. And even moreso if it was 2k4 MonsterHunt.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
There is no 2k4 MonsterHunt. If you mean Invasion, we used to play that at 2k4 FragBU, but a group of us play on my own UT Monster Hunt server during fragbu when it dies out for the night and the rest of the week.

Apr 11, 2006
There is no 2k4 MonsterHunt. If you mean Invasion, we used to play that at 2k4 FragBU, but a group of us play on my own UT Monster Hunt server during fragbu when it dies out for the night and the rest of the week.

I know there's not a UT2k4 MonsterHunt. I'm just saying, should someone port it over, I'd definitely play (and map for) that.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
People who like CTF are fine, but it'd be good if they tried to reach out and get other gametypes played and thus people who are on the fence in. The "average" net player is more likely to play WAR and VCTF because those are a lot easier and in many ways more fun to play than our gritty CTF matches.

I know that if people helped out when I vote for Warfare and VCTF, I'd be glad to return the favor later on.

That said I do play usually most weeks (Not the last two though) so I've said my ideas on TS several times before. :p