UT3 storyline

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
This should have been merely the background story, to flesh out the universe and its history. There still should have been an actual tournament.

Plenty of games have trite plots about goodies and baddies fighting in a cataclysmic war and they're boring. Not very many have and intergalactic tournament going on. I think the sporting aspect, fighting just to win actually resonates with more people. It doesn't have lame moral baggage and people love competition. Think GTA!!!

I think the story should be based on the fun competing and purely wanting your character to win the tournament!!

No UT character should ever say "Controlled bursts, watch for civilians" :(

I'll second that.
They just make themselves look ridiculous.
They claim the shock rifle will be used in the wars of the future...should I think that in a far future soldiers will be armed with a gun 2 metres long that takes 3 shots to kill someone? Really, it actually detracts from the game because you fear your friends playing CS could mock you.

Best history of all the series was UT. A cutscene at the start, explaing that there's this space tournament, and then the room of the trophies. That's it.

I really liked the idea of competing in some sort of violent sport for the enjoyment of a dystopian society. It is a great idea. And it is so realistic that it actually happens in real life, only not in a so large scale.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
The comic is lame. Stop posting it.

Max Payne sucks btw :D

Exactly. As for the storyline, I didn't care about it. I found the UT3 campaign much more entertaining than the UT2k4 slugfest due to its gameplay (let's see, it was quite the same thing as the UT1 one: winning matches and no crap about team members).

Though I was expecting something like "kill every "generic" Liandri Bot you find in this unique map" to make it more SP and different from the generic Instant Action.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Exactly. As for the storyline, I didn't care about it. I found the UT3 campaign much more entertaining than the UT2k4 slugfest due to its gameplay (let's see, it was quite the same thing as the UT1 one: winning matches and no crap about team members).

Though I was expecting something like "kill every "generic" Liandri Bot you find in this unique map" to make it more SP and different from the generic Instant Action.

It wasn't as UT one, it was much worse in my opinion (no fun at all, pretty opposite to that), thanks to the need of credits and all that.
Credits were added even in ut2003 beta (in final not), but they didn't play this high of a role and you couldn't lose them and you didn't need to pay matches, team roster is done as in beta and unfinished.
Also the beta had the feature taht someone from other tam could challange you to a dm match, actually there was no normal dm except this (instead you satrted with the team matches straight away), but it was done in rather not forcefull way, but I didn't like truly the sport like interface of the beta sp and it wasn't fun thanks to the game was bugged (it was beta still) and I never could complete it because it often crashed after I resumed campaign (i had to cheat anyway), anyway it had also coop mode as in ut3.
But original UT(1) beta had boring SP as well, thanks to the forever lasting ctf matches (the score limit was raising as you play, in the end you had to do like 10 captures to win the map which really made it boring afair).
I think ut2003(final) had more enjoyable sp experience as well, even if it was more of just instant action, the team roster and all was done better.

UT SP was fine though, but I really find UT3 progression in SP much better, as it's not ladder anymore but the approach is more a type of strategy game and as the story goes, it fitted the game and even the jokes, but it takes something to appreciate it.

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
...The respawner as a physical piece of millitary hardware was a fantastic idea. I love the idea of small squads of paramilitary super soldiers duking it out in low key guerilla style warfare....
It was and idea stolen from Devastation. A very buggy game that didn't do as well as it perhaps should have done.

But having to destroy the enemy respawners to win was a stroke of genius.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
It was and idea stolen from Devastation. A very buggy game that didn't do as well as it perhaps should have done.

That idea wasn't even there originally, but whatever.
Devastation was btw developed by some ppl who cooperated with Unreal series as well, so..........
That means also certain formerly community mappers worked for that game, but they even worked professionally on some unr titles.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann

I'd no idea. Anyways, that neither here nor there, everybody pretty much borrows idea. Had the execution of the idea been better, we'd all be heaping praise upon it.

Last Man Standing
is the gametype that actually suits the concept of depleting the respawner best!!! Actually, an assault-like gametype, with respawners as a damageable piece of machinery would have been cool!

Everything else like CTF, DM, TDM, VCTF should have been part of a normal Tournament ladder story instead of silly FLaGs magically "depleting the enemy respawner"

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I think what most people don't really dig is the fact that they went with a "war" theme instead of a tourney.

Unreal's weapons, its items, its whole movement system, its maps.. its all pretty far out, none of it makes any logical sense, its just way over the top and out there, just for the sake of beeing over the top and out there!

That works just fine if you look at it as some strange space-age extreme sport, or just as a conveniant backdrop to what the game is really about, beeing an arena shooter, but when you try to couple it togeather with something more tangible, a much more grounded theme that we cannot help trying to connect to, and apply our logic to, like a war, then it just seems really silly and cheesy, the two mix like oil and water.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
They could have done the War-based storyline, and it would have been okay - once the gametypes where suited to a story based warfare thingy. A string of Warfare/Assault/XMP/Invasion/MH style matches would suit that just fine.

You can't however shove a bunch of DM and CTF into the mix with some silly explanations!

A way they could have done it would be to have the regular tournament storyline, with standard CTF, DM,TDM, and DOM ladders. Finishing these and winning the trophy unlocks a WAR/AS campaign that is kinda of prelude to the events of UT!

I rather liked the direction of UC2. It had a campaign with a tournament style storyline with plenty of FMV's. It also had a bunch of seperate tournament ladders for all the other characters :D

Last edited:

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
It does the job--its just to get you acquainted with all the maps and gametypes and teams. The cut scenes are very nice---wish my ingame framerate was as good as they are.

The only thing that really bugs me--why do the black characters all have to be jive-talking pimps? Its pushing into racist territory. Especially Malcolm who is supposed to be a military commander.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
It does the job--its just to get you acquainted with all the maps and gametypes and teams. The cut scenes are very nice---wish my ingame framerate was as good as they are.

The only thing that really bugs me--why do the black characters all have to be jive-talking pimps? Its pushing into racist territory. Especially Malcolm who is supposed to be a military commander.

All? What all .. there are four ... count them four black characters in UT3 (no women anymore btw for some strange reason ... Blackjack is no longer black ... I wonder why) and only two talk in the campaign. Damien and Barktooth don't say much of anything. And Malcolm isn't even playable yet. Which I still am a little ticked off about. I guess Epic hasn't heard of Obama ... he certainly doesn't sound like that ... and what about Will Smith ... is there a more popular black actor? I'd like their next game to have a Denzel Washington type character ... that would be cool. In fact that is how Malcolm should have acted ... him or Laurence Fishburne.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
All? What all .. there are four ... count them four black characters in UT3 (no women anymore btw for some strange reason ... Blackjack is no longer black ... I wonder why) and only two talk in the campaign. Damien and Barktooth don't say much of anything. And Malcolm isn't even playable yet. Which I still am a little ticked off about. I guess Epic hasn't heard of Obama ... he certainly doesn't sound like that ... and what about Will Smith ... is there a more popular black actor? I'd like their next game to have a Denzel Washington type character ... that would be cool. In fact that is how Malcolm should have acted ... him or Laurence Fishburne.

Or good old Samuel.
'English, mother****er, do you speak it?'

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
All? What all .. there are four ... count them four black characters in UT3 (no women anymore btw for some strange reason ... Blackjack is no longer black ... I wonder why)

Actually, the other Necris chick is black, you just don't see it because her default armour has a facemask, but if you select her in the player setup menu and remove that, she's obviously black, and bald..

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
It doesn't really matter. Epic are just responding to popular culture and Black Artists take advantage of those stereotypes all the time.

I don't know why they insist on making Malcolm a villain! I think he would be a more interesting Anti-Hero. He'd be a cool player character.

Reaper is a boring sack of **** as character but Malcolm seems like he could be actually fun!! He maybe an amoral psychopath, but in a charming fun way!

Last edited: