UT3 storyline

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I finished the UT3 SP campaign yesterday and I think it's best SP campaign in UTs so far, yes the storyline is b movie quality like or whatever, but that was certainly the intention. You ppl are too blind to see the certain roots, remarks and other things that make this story really good on it's own.
This game is simply great and for me much better than that piece of crap taht is ut2004, a slow paced game that is worse than ut2003, I think many people would agree if they played ut2k3 beta - ut2k3 and ut2k4 in the right order, it's just that they think ut2k3 is worst gameplay wise and taht ut2k4 is about the same, but the weapons feel, shields (you can pickup more small shield packs to combine in more hit points and it works more like a shieldbelt), etc is different.

I am not dissapointed that I boguht collectors edition of this game, instead I think it was a good purchase.

So far I played all Unreal titles and I still think ut2004 is the worst title so far, sorry guys but that game was not meant to be released in my opinion even.

As for next game, Epic should do another Unreal (singleplayer based, but with mp too of course, or I wish the Legend members could do the missionpack of what the agme Unreal 2 was meant to be (and release the real cut content that was really good) and let it be shown or even Epic maybe releasing the original missionpack for Unreal (not rtnp) where worked Eric Reuter, look for shadow warrior there was released missionpack for free in 2005 I've heard and that was unreleased one that was meant to be released back in the days) UT and even continue the story, so next ut would be something like:
UT4: KILL MALCOLM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54vtXRI32MQ

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Leo(T.C.K.) said:
You ppl are too blind to see the certain roots, remarks and other things that make this story really good on it's own.

I don't think it's smart to insult the entire forum's users. Seriously now.

Leo(T.C.K.) said:
This game is simply great and for me much better than that piece of crap taht is ut2004

See above.

Leo(T.C.K.) said:
I am not dissapointed that I boguht collectors edition of this game, instead I think it was a good purchase.

Your thread is about the STORYLINE of the game, not the bonus stuff that came with it! Thread title: "UT3 storyline". Though I do agree that it's a good investment if you're intending on mapping or using UT3UED.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I don't think it's smart to insult the entire forum's users. Seriously now.

See above.

Your thread is about the STORYLINE of the game, not the bonus stuff that came with it! Thread title: "UT3 storyline". Though I do agree that it's a good investment if you're intending on mapping or using UT3UED.

That wasn't an insult, it was a statement. But ok if you take it so....
So go ahead and play with your cartoony and shallow gameplay that ut2004 has.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
What do you mean?
First: I just said that I bought ut3 collectors edition, it was just a "btw" note, not wanting to talk about the bobnus content in there.
Secondly: I didn't insult anyone, I just think that you are blind to certain degree, which is mainly true.
Third: I don't have any problem, so no thanks.

LtClifff

Feb 26, 2008
It is just you keep insulting people. By accident or on purpose i dont know. And you jsut did it again in your last post.

Im sure there are more than a few people with your point of view but none have been so insulting in their presentation of their ideas. Personally i think Ut3 is the best in the franchise. However, people are entitled to their different opinions, and you have no right to insult people because they might not agree with you.

1R0NH4R\/35T

is not amused.
May 10, 2008
Earth
ticktockman92.deviantart.com
I agree. I thought the single player was pretty fun, even if it was a bit cheesy. I mean, sure, they could've done better, but it wasn't all that bad.
I would have to disagree with your statement about Unreal Tournament 2004, however. It is, indeed, the second best game in the series, second only to UT3.
If they make another Unreal Tournament (which I sincerely hope they do), they should make the single player campaign totally different. No more disabling the enemy's respawners or anything like that. I want something more along the lines of Unreal. Something with a deeper story and more immersing gameplay. Wouldn't make sense calling it Unreal Tournament or anything, but it'd be fun. The franchise needs something to push the storyline along, introduce new characters and locations, etc.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .

My sentiments exactly. I've digged through his posts and it seems that he goes about to (maybe unintentionally, but still...) insult everything, people and things included.

Leo, if you feel that we are wrongly misrepresenting your views, my only suggestion would be to tone it down a bit in your posts, because it seems that there's so much... negative judgment in them.

P.S. : I used to be like you in the regard that I was very judgmental in everything. Advice: Keep things short (THIS post I'm making is obviously NOT a good example of that ;) )

Slightly off-topic, but:
Don't get me wrong! I like UT3 too. :) In fact, I'm working on a map right now with the new UT3UED (though I don't really like the CE VTM's, they're too slow-paced for me, I always have to fast-forward through each video... Can you believe the "Material Editor" videos are over 3 hours?)

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I don't get what my previous posts about totally different things have something to do with this. Bleh.............I feel crap.

Well I am so judged up against ut2004 because I keep hearing insults everywhere from ut2004 fanboys, insulting the other unr games and really hard, like some fanboy joining random server and saying why do they play that crap and.............

But I am a bit more radical when it comes to certain things.

About the CE videos, I would like if CliffyB was doing it rather than some new guys or someone else.
I watched only like few of them yet.

I just don't like ut2004 and that's it.
But I didn't think I will insult someone by saying these things in my first post, it was not directed to someone specifially, but I beleive some people are blind to see these things which I explained in UT3.

I think you'll find, Leo, that others are perceiving your statements as, "Look this is the way it is and if you disagree then you are blind." This is insulting. Not everyone is going to see eye to eye on an issue of taste. Nobody was judging you because of how you feel about 2k4, but rather, how you expressed your views. It's fine if you don't like 2004, but people might. Heck, I prefer 2k4 to 2k3.

I haven't even played UT3, but I never really played the UT series for their storylines anyway. Although I hear good things about UT3's attempt to pass off the narrative. I plan to get the game for my 360.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Alright, I'm not taking anyone's opinion off. But I still think certain people are blind to UT3. But at all, the UT series were never THAT serious, look even first UT, it changes some things in storyline from first Unreal and the games go sometimes in conflict with each other in the timeline. Don't tell me you haven't noticed that. :p

I don't think ut2004 is too serious game either, the grapchics are definitelly not taht serious and the whole thing not, so I don't find UT3 worse in that, yes it might imply self parody and weak storyline, but it's good about it, it's kinda like certain movies by Quentin Tarantino, but sure I didn't like some things about it either.
Even ut2004 is not really a ****ty game, but somehow I find it worst of the series unlike the public viw where it is said to be really great, as it was not meant to be released at first (It sure isn't natural progression, I think it would be better if ut2003 wasn't ut2003 but ut2 as it was originally meant to be) and I see it rather a thing suggested by Atari, it has ut2003 content in it although changed here and there, some beta maps in it which were previously taken off and certain concepts and it has some really pretty good maps, but the overall gameplay is very shallow and the new content is mainly done by community mappers and even few recycled community maps and onslaught was meant to be released as a mod for ut2003 in a different form but i think it should have been like that and the game should have been fixed by patches and stuff, although i found the best maps maybe by rogelio olguin and so, these mappers which created one of the best maps for original Unreal and UT games too, these maps really have something. But most of new maps are rather uninspiring and too simple in a way, not really memorable.

Yeah UT never really needed a "story". That's like saying you play Mortal Kombat for the story. Basically it's all a big excuse to kill people in a free-for-all. I don't exactly expect much different from UT3, when I actually do get around to it. Epic made games are rarely very "deep".

Leo, I prefer 2k4 over K3 because of all the team based content that was added to it, and not much else. I did like the stock map roster better, the packed maps were definitely better than what came out of the box with 2k3 (at least in DM, although as good as the layouts were I could never get over the gameplay style). When UT2K3 came out, I was pretty much disinterested in it. I am mainly a DM player, and the DM potential of the 2KX series was just weak and cumbersome compared to the original. While 2K4 was mainly just a big patch for 2k3, the inclusion of the team based stuff actually caught my interest somewhat, whereas I had no real reason to play 2k3 anymore. For awhile, I was playing UT and 2K4 simultaneously, UT for DM and 2k4 for Onslaught. But I admit, I haven't played any of the 2kX games for years.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Too many words in this thread, but I'll just say the story itself isn't bad. It's definitely not good, and it's about as predictable and cliche as a story can be without ripping something else off verbatim, but it's not bad, per se. The campaign overall, however, is much less engaging and worthwhile than UT/UT2004, so in the end it doesn't even matter what the story is, because the single-player experience isn't a good one.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
yeah, i'm a big advocate of respecting peoples [/imo] tags. Opinions should be respected. But when you look at a first post like that, I find myself struggling with the philosophy.
Personally, i hate the ut3 storyline. It was good (sorta), but that doesn't stop me hating it.
There's my viewz, don't wear them out.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah UT never really needed a "story". That's like saying you play Mortal Kombat for the story. Basically it's all a big excuse to kill people in a free-for-all. I don't exactly expect much different from UT3, when I actually do get around to it. Epic made games are rarely very "deep".

Yeah I get that but thats not to say that there isnt a story there. Its as you say not a game you play for the story but the story is something which comes through while reading about the characters or other text that might come up when you arnt actually taking part in a match.

The stories might be there just as an excuse to kill people but theres a great deal of movies which arnt much different. Like heres a gun, this dude is pissed, oh kewl he killed some people, oh he blew up some **** now he's gonna beat the 'bad guy'.

There is a natural progression though even in the ladders so there is beginning, middle and end so there is some level of story telling even if its very thin. I think the problem with UT3's story is its told through almost 100% dialogue and it just doesnt work, then again so was UC2 but I liked that much better. Maybe its just the whole war type thing, it would have been better if they attempted to get in alittle deeper on the corporate skirmish side of things from another point of view other than reaper. Its not like he's overly intelligent and has much to say over I just wanna kill this bitch anyways.

UC2 on the otherhand showed what was going on behind the scenes, things you wouldnt be able to see from just Anubis' perspective so I think thats where it succeeded where UT3 failed. They didnt resort to cheese like field lattice generators in UC2 either, it was the liandri sponsored ascension rites... Wheres liandri in UT3? Acouple of mining bots or somethin, they got the ironguard there but there isnt enough scene setting for each team the only ones which do get a decent take are ronin and necris.

Its certainly possible to push away from linear with the tourney setting as well but the pre-rendered cuts kinda screw with that. One of the things I think previous UT games had going for them is you could be who ever you wanted to in the single player, well to an extent, not everyone was going to identify with reaper and his crew infact I found jester and the old guy alittle annoying to be honest. At the end I was like zomg, I was more like yay I dont have to listen to her dribble in my ear but then the game was over anyways. There is acouple of nice twists but they really dont make up for the rest of the lackluster story.

I like the direction Epic was looking in for the single player but I think they've got to work harder to incorporate the tourney, story and scene setting for the teams together, ontop of that try making it more non-linear. The game doesnt need to be oozing story all it needs is enough to motivate the player to keep progressing, the ladder alone wont do that.