Whats left of the UT community

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Some of the reasons for why the official UT forums are run like they are: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=2113475&postcount=49.

Fundamentally, people who non-stop bitch about the UI, the player counts, the "consolification", etc are doing it for their own benefit. 99.99% of the "I'm sad" or "How can we save UT" threads are retreads of opinions now almost 6 months old and are already well understood by the UT team.

Jeff--it might be possible to quell some of those repetitive complaints by publicly answering fans' primary concerns. I rarely visit your forums anymore since I'm no longer paying too much attention to UT3 (got hooked on Sins of a Solar Empire, but that won't last forever), so please forgive me if I missed some of the dialog, but I think that what UT fans would like to know is:

If there's going to be another UT for the PC, will the user interface and everything else that surrounds the game play be as good as what we had in UT99 and UT 2004 and thus came to expect we would have for UT3? You say that people's complaints about the UI and the consolification are well understood by the UT team, but what we don't know is, how will they use that knowledge in the future?

I think that many UT fans are concerned that you guys no longer care about PC gaming and they'd like to know what your intentions are for the next UT. I think fans would also appreciate having some additional context about why UT3 for the PC ended up being the way it is.

Did the designers sincerely believe that they were making a good user interface and that it was smooth and fast? Do they only care about designing for consoles now since, supposedly, that's where the money is (which would make some sense)? Were they under tremendous time pressure and perhaps even legal threats from Midway to get a salable product out the door before Christmas or else, in which case, like someone who does an all-nighter on a term paper, they didn't feel good about the final product but had to grudgingly put it out there? (If you can't talk about that for contractual and confidentiality reasons you could say that you "just can't talk about it, sorry" and folks could fill in the blanks from there.)

For the record, I don't think that Epic's designers are idiots who don't know how to make a fast, smooth user interface or server browser, etc., and also who don't know the difference between a beta and a finished product. My theory is that Midway leaned on (or maybe put a gun up to the head of) Epic to get the game out before Christmas and that you guys had to triage and bust ass to get a product out the door, porting the console version of the game to the PC.

Am I right?

Last edited:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I think that a UT4 for the PC could be successful, but it would have to be done right and marketed as though the target audience were almost completely unfamiliar with the game. Basically, it would be competing in the marketplace with all of the other games as though it were a fresh title without a legacy and at this point it could no longer rely on the good reputation and fanbase from the previous UTs for its sales; it would have to be perfect in almost every way to succeed and to reestablish the franchise.

I know that Epic has the talent to pull it off. The issue in my mind is whether Epic has the desire.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Actually I do remember reading something from Epic guys looking back at things they didnt do so well, one of those was the announcement of the game and information afterwards. Apparently it was too long of a time, keep that in mind hey, as much as people want to know it might not be the best thing for the product...

If there is even a product! Really though guys, telling everyone that theres gonna be another UT wont make it magically appear, leave it up to the guys with the IP hey :cool:

Not that Im saying there wont be another UT game but yeah, more deadhorse!

SlipStreams_65

User Titles are Useless.
Dec 29, 2005
Kingdom of boredom
I don't know about everyone, but that's what I would like to know. That and when.

Thing is, if the epic forum had a flashing neon banner saying "UT4 IS ANNOUNCED FOR PC ONLY!" you can guarantee that there will be at least one thread a day appearing asking "is there going to be ut4....". The community complains that epic doesnt listen to them, but I think half the problem is that the community doesnt listen to epic.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I found a picture of myself on some unrelated website. I'm famous!

fatty.bmp

Minimaul

Hate Kill Destroy
Apr 28, 2002
Visit site
You're gonna say you wrote that spontaneous?

heh. yeah. I went to post but then I just said "eff it" and started typing randomly. I made it all up on the spot, as I typed. took about 2 hours. I would have done it quicker but I had some work to do too. It would have been longer, but I had work to do. That's why the ending sucks.

Well, the whole thing sucks but that's what I was going for. no deep meaning, just random BS. I'd rather read lame-ass stories like that then read more posts about the same crap we've all heard before.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
heh. yeah. I went to post but then I just said "eff it" and started typing randomly. I made it all up on the spot, as I typed. took about 2 hours. I would have done it quicker but I had some work to do too. It would have been longer, but I had work to do. That's why the ending sucks.

Well, the whole thing sucks but that's what I was going for. no deep meaning, just random BS. I'd rather read lame-ass stories like that then read more posts about the same crap we've all heard before.

Here here...

[screenshot]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4159/chocolatechipcookieic7.jpg[/screenshot]

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
One time, I toook a crap and it had peanuts in it.

Cliffy_C.

Banned
May 20, 2008
This game is dead because the community bitches about it too much. Epic acknowledged the problems already and are doing something about it, what more do you want? A golden TP wipe?

If you decide what games you do or do not play based on how much people "bitch" about it on an internet forum i feel sorry for you. Most gamers wont let that make up their mind either. I didnt want to get into this type of discussion but.. Its no secret why the game is dead.

1. Game is not fun. Some of you like it, but globally you are a minority. (personally i find nothing that bad about, but its not something id want to play everyday)
2. **** ton of empty promises. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuCDN9dQWEc Filmed just months before release.
3. they released a BETA demo that wasnt beta at all, its pretty much what they shipped.

It has nothing to do with the UI or system req. Think about it CoD4 has the same requirements as UT3. Assassins Creed takes like 15 clicks to exit the game, now thats a bad UI. Both of those games are doing great.

ps. sirbizz i thought you were a girl. lol. did you assume i was a girl earlier? or did you think i was a guy and that you looked gay so i would be hitting on you at walmart... im confused now. Were you trying to crack on me or yourself. Because i do like guys btw.

Also can someone post a horse in the next slot i dont feel like finding one.

Last edited:

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com
Jeff--it might be possible to quell some of those repetitive complaints by publicly answering fans' primary concerns. I rarely visit your forums anymore since I'm no longer paying too much attention to UT3 (got hooked on Sins of a Solar Empire, but that won't last forever), so please forgive me if I missed some of the dialog, but I think that what UT fans would like to know is:

If there's going to be another UT for the PC, will the user interface and everything else that surrounds the game play be as good as what we had in UT99 and UT 2004 and thus came to expect we would have for UT3? You say that people's complaints about the UI and the consolification are well understood by the UT team, but what we don't know is, how will they use that knowledge in the future?

I think that many UT fans are concerned that you guys no longer care about PC gaming and they'd like to know what your intentions are for the next UT. I think fans would also appreciate having some additional context about why UT3 for the PC ended up being the way it is.

Did the designers sincerely believe that they were making a good user interface and that it was smooth and fast? Do they only care about designing for consoles now since, supposedly, that's where the money is (which would make some sense)? Were they under tremendous time pressure and perhaps even legal threats from Midway to get a salable product out the door before Christmas or else, in which case, like someone who does an all-nighter on a term paper, they didn't feel good about the final product but had to grudgingly put it out there? (If you can't talk about that for contractual and confidentiality reasons you could say that you "just can't talk about it, sorry" and folks could fill in the blanks from there.)

For the record, I don't think that Epic's designers are idiots who don't know how to make a fast, smooth user interface or server browser, etc., and also who don't know the difference between a beta and a finished product. My theory is that Midway leaned on (or maybe put a gun up to the head of) Epic to get the game out before Christmas and that you guys had to triage and bust ass to get a product out the door, porting the console version of the game to the PC.

Am I right?

nicely put, and very spot on in a lot of ways.

If there is even a product! Really though guys, telling everyone that theres gonna be another UT wont make it magically appear, leave it up to the guys with the IP hey :cool:

they in fact already said there will be a UT4, they basically "have to make" another ut. they are in contract with midway to produce at least 2 unreal tournament titles, so far they have made one, so its basically guaranteed that you will see at least 1 more UT title some time down the line.

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com
If you decide what games you do or do not play based on how much people "bitch" about it on an internet forum i feel sorry for you. Most gamers wont let that make up there mind either. I didnt want to get into this type of discussion but.. Its no secret why the game is dead.

1. Game is not fun. Some of you like it, but globally you are a minority. (personally i find nothing that bad about, but its not something id want to play everyday)
2. **** ton of empty promises. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuCDN9dQWEc Filmed just months before release.
3. they released a BETA demo that wasnt beta at all, its pretty much what they shipped.

It has nothing to do with the UI or system req. Think about it CoD4 has the same requirements as UT3. Assassins Creed takes like 15 clicks to exit the game, now thats a bad UI. Both of those games are doing great.

omg, that is exactly, EXACTLY what i was talking about in another thread just yesterday, i think it was the "ut3.5-4" thread. on how epic made all these statements and bragging in interviews, videos, and forum posts about how UT3 was going to be the game of all games. which easily could be why half of everyone who is upset with UT3, is upset, they feel lied to, or like a blanket was pulled over there eyes. I love that video, he makes it sounds as though UT3's single player mode is going to be this instantly deep single player mode, the best single player mode of the year in games, when in fact it has got to be the WORST single player mode within all UT's i have ever seen. not to mention they completly cut the "tournament" out of the game, yet its called unreal TOURNAMENT?

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Whenever I see a video of Jeff Morris talking about the Gameplay before-release I just feel tempted to play a game I haven't played yet.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Yeah, okay, Epic screwed us all and the game died on release. We got the effing memo already. Do we need to keep harping on it to make ourselves feel better? That is all I get from these threads. Heck, even I can recognize that my own whining about the whiners is nothing more than self-induced therapy.

Have we all become nothing more than spoiled little schoolgirls who cry every time our collective poontangs hurt?

Cliffy_C.

Banned
May 20, 2008
i know right? I was expecting gears of war with UT weapons, how kickas would that be?

Also i dont have a poontang for it to be hurting.... yet. Hopefully by summer of 2009. My doctor keeps telling me he will swap out my parts "when its finished" and everything will work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.