Unreal Engine 4 Will “Exclusively Target the Next Console Generation”

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
:lol: ... do you think that Ironclad respects pc-gamers ?
They don't ... they respect *customers* who play their games.
That is the 'secret' to their success ...
In fact I'm sure they'd switch to console-games in a second if they'd ever think that that is were their audience is.
In fact if you read their website you'll see that they don't mention any specific platform

You got it the wrong way round. I said that we'll (as in PC gamers generally) respect them because, in this future scenario, they'll have continued to see the PC as a viable platform, not just somewhere to mop up some extra sales. Perhaps "appreciate" could be substituted for "respect" given the somewhat cynical nature of gamers.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
This is sad, but not actually a great surprise. Things like this come and go in cycles. Today, consoles are where the money is at, and the PC is at the bottom of the circle in the eyes of developers such as Epic. But, sooner or later, the PC will reach 12 o'clock again and those same devs will come scurrying back, chasing the cash.

However, by then PC gaming might have an entirely new landscape, with a new generation of developers and some oldies - Ironclad, Valve, Infinity Ward et al - who stuck with the PC while the big guns solely went after the console dollar. Sure, they'll also publish on consoles, but they won't have declared the PC as second-best, as an option to consider only after the console money has been made. Those developers will earn our respect, as Ironclad has already proven.

The well is only useful as long as there's water in it.

I completely agree. To further your point on why I THINK PCs will come back. I firmly believe that Microsoft and Sony will heat up the console war. The only option is to increase features, such as mouse keyboard support for a true web browser, promote mods which I can't see being free on 360 since they charge for a 150X150 jped for you avatar, HD-DVD / Blue Ray drives which Sony already has to handle larger games with more textures and higher resolution textures. I see the next generation of consoles being about which system has more features.

So when the PS3 came out it was 599.99 and who knows what the new variants of the xbox and playstation will cost gamers. Its a trend in technology in general to add more features and increase rendering power for PC hardware and consoles. So these new features will up the price of consoles while PC hardware manufacturers will most likely lower pricing on processors and video cards. For example, the 8800gt is now only 200.00 and a core 2 duo e8500 is 270.00 For the performance both of those products gives it is priced extremely well IMO. The e8500 core 2 duo usually comes in second in gaming benchmarks. That is not always the case but safe to say for gaming its probably the number 2 processor out there.

A few years ago I paid nearly 600.00 for an AMD X2 4800 when it was ranked second. So I believe we will see a trend of consoles becoming more expensive and PC hardware coming down in price. Consoles are great but I think their main appeal was that they were cheap and while cheaper then PCs we may see a reversal on that a bit.

Also a huge problem for Sony and Microsoft is going to be getting many gamers to move away from the 360 and PS3 as I believe its sufficient for many gamers for years to come. I can see a game being released for xbox 360 and xbox 720 just with reduced texture resolution for the 360 version. The change from a 640X480 resolution from the last xbox to the 360 was a drastic change. But for the budget gamer which I believe is their core audience and why people go to consoles to begin with...How are they going to get a lot of those gamers to make the move over. So I actually see a good trend in PC gaming and some potential serious problems for consoles. And yes I know this post was wayyy to long. =D This is just what I think will happen and I am by no means declaring it fact. Just remember how long people have held onto their PS2s.

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
I completely agree. To further your point on why I THINK PCs will come back. I firmly believe that Microsoft and Sony will heat up the console war. The only option is to increase features, such as mouse keyboard support for a true web browser, promote mods which I can't see being free on 360 since they charge for a 150X150 jped for you avatar, HD-DVD / Blue Ray drives which Sony already has to handle larger games with more textures and higher resolution textures. I see the next generation of consoles being about which system has more features.

So when the PS3 came out it was 599.99 and who knows what the new variants of the xbox and playstation will cost gamers. Its a trend in technology in general to add more features and increase rendering power for PC hardware and consoles. So these new features will up the price of consoles while PC hardware manufacturers will most likely lower pricing on processors and video cards. For example, the 8800gt is now only 200.00 and a core 2 duo e8500 is 270.00 For the performance both of those products gives it is priced extremely well IMO. The e8500 core 2 duo usually comes in second in gaming benchmarks. That is not always the case but safe to say for gaming its probably the number 2 processor out there.

A few years ago I paid nearly 600.00 for an AMD X2 4800 when it was ranked second. So I believe we will see a trend of consoles becoming more expensive and PC hardware coming down in price. Consoles are great but I think their main appeal was that they were cheap and while cheaper then PCs we may see a reversal on that a bit.

Also a huge problem for Sony and Microsoft is going to be getting many gamers to move away from the 360 and PS3 as I believe its sufficient for many gamers for years to come. I can see a game being released for xbox 360 and xbox 720 just with reduced texture resolution for the 360 version. The change from a 640X480 resolution from the last xbox to the 360 was a drastic change. But for the budget gamer which I believe is their core audience and why people go to consoles to begin with...How are they going to get a lot of those gamers to make the move over. So I actually see a good trend in PC gaming and some potential serious problems for consoles. And yes I know this post was wayyy to long. =D This is just what I think will happen and I am by no means declaring it fact. Just remember how long people have held onto their PS2s.

I would give consoles the benefit of the doubt if they
A. gave me full control over control and physical interface options.(even willing to buy a KB and M set of thiers for 60$ if they would only make it and make it with full custmizabilty)

B.Not be broken.(the 360 is a joke hardware wise not to mention the inane limitations on it).

C.Be as as much as a lower mid range game rig, at 600-700$ I can build a PC in the 360/PS3 graphic range.

D.Not charge for going online.(Live fees are the gump.....(stupid is as stupid dose...)

If Consoles had the balls to open up the the controls I would start actively playing again,get me supported cheat devices that make stale bland realistic games fun and I would even buy new games again :p.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I would give consoles the benefit of the doubt if they
A. gave me full control over control and physical interface options.(even willing to buy a KB and M set of thiers for 60$ if they would only make it and make it with full custmizabilty)

B.Not be broken.(the 360 is a joke hardware wise not to mention the inane limitations on it).

C.Be as as much as a lower mid range game rig, at 600-700$ I can build a PC in the 360/PS3 graphic range.

D.Not charge for going online.(Live fees are the gump.....(stupid is as stupid dose...)

If Consoles had the balls to open up the the controls I would start actively playing again,get me supported cheat devices that make stale bland realistic games fun and I would even buy new games again :p.

You could get a wii, with the sacrifice of graphics and games being made by developers other than nintendo. But personally I find a Wii + PC a good combination, as the PC has many of the great games on the X-Box/PS3 and will support high end graphics with lots of customization while the Wii is used when you don't feel like playing hardcore/bloody and violent games.

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
You could get a wii, with the sacrifice of graphics and games being made by developers other than nintendo. But personally I find a Wii + PC a good combination, as the PC has many of the great games on the X-Box/PS3 and will support high end graphics with lots of customization while the Wii is used when you don't feel like playing hardcore/bloody and violent games.

The is not bad , however control options are just as lacking and I refuse to put up with half thought out control schemes so I am putting it off, that and I got to borrow all the new systems for a few months.

the WII is ok but has an embarrassing secret 50-80% of its games are not made for gamers :eek:.... this with the lack of control options (I was sale me balls if I could fully bind the wii mote and numbchunk to VC/GC games anyway I want....)

Graphics BTW can kiss my hairy rear,I care not for graphics as much as control and solid game design.

The PS3 while I hate sony for more reason than the uber price or the backtracking on BWC its working itself out nicely if sony focus dev teams tog et the coding optimized and very efficacy it will be a solid console for the next 8 years, however with devs lacking skill and effort I fear without highly customized user stuff be it cheating or control the games will suck hard, if anything nintedo has showen mainstreaming sucks you get more crap than a proper niche market....

All in all I want to move to a new CPU and mobo thats 400$ I'd rather do that than touch a console yet...unless I can get a premium 360 for 100$ or a PS3/wii for 200$.......

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
Why are ppl talking about the new generation anyways? I mean really, the systems aren't even being used to their full potential (minus 360, due to time out). Plus, we are looking at a minimum 5 years for this gen, with PS3 likely 2-3 years more simply because they put out killer h/w.

As far as UE4 only targeting consoles, there is no way in hell. UT4/5 will come to pc, simply because the mod community is there, and it is not possible to have such powerful tools on a console. If they want to make more console games like GoW, please don't complain about it, PC games are very different than console games (at least I like to think so), and there are many of us that would never give up our PC games, no matter what/how many consoles we have.

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
Why are ppl talking about the new generation anyways? I mean really, the systems aren't even being used to their full potential (minus 360, due to time out). Plus, we are looking at a minimum 5 years for this gen, with PS3 likely 2-3 years more simply because they put out killer h/w.

As far as UE4 only targeting consoles, there is no way in hell. UT4/5 will come to pc, simply because the mod community is there, and it is not possible to have such powerful tools on a console. If they want to make more console games like GoW, please don't complain about it, PC games are very different than console games (at least I like to think so), and there are many of us that would never give up our PC games, no matter what/how many consoles we have.
Consoles gamers are the rage in the industry, the PC market is outside of their mainstream focus, thus why games are either bad or poorly made.

It has happened time and time again o I see UT4 going to consoles for a year or so before hitting the PC, I can see it happening and say its a good 50/50 changes of happening.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Consoles gamers are the rage in the industry, the PC market is outside of their mainstream focus, thus why games are either bad or poorly made.

It has happened time and time again o I see UT4 going to consoles for a year or so before hitting the PC, I can see it happening and say its a good 50/50 changes of happening.
Generally a yes or no answer has a 50/50 chance of coming true, yes.

However -- I doubt Epic will focus UT4 {if it occurs, which I hope it will} on the consoles before the PC.

There'd be no-one to add in custom content.

You can't just turn UnrealED into Sandbox...

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Once again, UE4 != UT4. The engine is completely different to the game. Second aspect, people don't buy the engine. Game companies do.

Epic Games Inc, don't really make that many games any more. They focus on the engine, with a few key franchises, of which they now have two.

So, they focus the development of UE4 for consoles. That's fine. Nothing wrong with that at all. Because their audience is *not* you or me personally. Their audiences now are companies who will license said engine.

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
Generally a yes or no answer has a 50/50 chance of coming true, yes.

However -- I doubt Epic will focus UT4 {if it occurs, which I hope it will} on the consoles before the PC.

There'd be no-one to add in custom content.

You can't just turn UnrealED into Sandbox...

Look at UT3 and tell me they did it for PC "first"............

Also if they suspended PC development and put effort into making a fully functional editor for the PS3/360and then made it so it used a KB and M and imported stuff from the USB ports well it would do well on the console market for a year while they try and make a port.

However even I see 2 problems not doing a fully multi release, 1 MS is wanking off on all the 360 issues thus making it obsolete for middle-high power based gaming, MS will be owning epic for a few years and GOW will be their console sacrificial lamb(and they can keep the buggy thing let me mod it and change it into a FPS and I might want to fool with it :p) MS couldesily tie up UT4 on the console for awhile if they see fit...theres just to much in the market to discount it being done console frist.

[SAS]Solid Snake
ZOMG you brought reason in my ramblings! :p

But ya its the sign of the times,even ID/raven don't bother with games anymore they just make a engine and slap some code around it and call it a game now adays.

oh sorry raven dosent build engines they just slap code around. :eek:

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
[SAS]Solid Snake;2105060 said:
Once again, UE4 != UT4. The engine is completely different to the game. Second aspect, people don't buy the engine. Game companies do.

Epic Games Inc, don't really make that many games any more. They focus on the engine, with a few key franchises, of which they now have two.

So, they focus the development of UE4 for consoles. That's fine. Nothing wrong with that at all. Because their audience is *not* you or me personally. Their audiences now are companies who will license said engine.

Very well said. Heck, with Epic doing things this way, we get better quality games from other developers since they are able to concentrate more on the game rather than just the engine. Look at L.O., beautiful game with a killer storyline (i'm on the last disk), and a ton of fun. Army of Two, I personally think is better than GoW, simply because I hated the cover system in GoW, while Army of Two just lets you duck behind stuff rather than enter 'cover' mode.

All this hatin on Epic for moving more into consoles is stupid. It's like a little kid when a new baby comes home. They get all pissy cause they are no longer the only person getting the attention. I personally don't care (as long as there is always a UT).

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
Very well said. Heck, with Epic doing things this way, we get better quality games from other developers since they are able to concentrate more on the game rather than just the engine. Look at L.O., beautiful game with a killer storyline (i'm on the last disk), and a ton of fun. Army of Two, I personally think is better than GoW, simply because I hated the cover system in GoW, while Army of Two just lets you duck behind stuff rather than enter 'cover' mode.

All this hatin on Epic for moving more into consoles is stupid. It's like a little kid when a new baby comes home. They get all pissy cause they are no longer the only person getting the attention. I personally don't care (as long as there is always a UT).

Bioshock was watered down to the point of mediocrity then the PC version was broken(have to blame epic,2K and IG/2Kaus for it :p), GOW PC is broken, UT3 PC is incomplete...gee I wonder why people might be slightly tiffed at epic.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
Look at UT3 and tell me they did it for PC "first"............

Also if they suspended PC development and put effort into making a fully functional editor for the PS3/360and then made it so it used a KB and M and imported stuff from the USB ports well it would do well on the console market for a year while they try and make a port.

However even I see 2 problems not doing a fully multi release, 1 MS is wanking off on all the 360 issues thus making it obsolete for middle-high power based gaming, MS will be owning epic for a few years and GOW will be their console sacrificial lamb(and they can keep the buggy thing let me mod it and change it into a FPS and I might want to fool with it :p) MS couldesily tie up UT4 on the console for awhile if they see fit...theres just to much in the market to discount it being done console frist.

Well, the PS3 does support usb kb/m, and all the importing is done by usb, so i don't see what your issue is there.

It is not possible in any way to have the power of the editing tools for UT3 on any console. Not only do you have the fact that the consoles do not have the processing power, or ease of navigation, but many modders use other software to model/texture/etc and none of those programs will ever be available to consoles. The closest you could get would be like that crappy forge thing on halo3. That isn't even really level editing though, more like remixing.

MS does not own Epic, nor does it have any type of handhold on UT to enable them to delay it for anyone not on a 360. I believe the reason we haven't seen UT3 on 360 is due to the nature of the Live service, and how it would stifle one of the biggest draws of the game: user created content. Add on to that, they would have to change the netcode a bit to get the game to work with Live (not 100% on that, but it would make sense).

Really, if Epic was trying to only do consoles (and was in M$'s pocket), they would have shipped UT3 with GFWL instead of Gamespy ,which isn't much better, but at least we don't have to pay for it.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
Bioshock was watered down to the point of mediocrity

Funny, all I hear about Bioshock is how awesome it is. You are like one in a million i guess.
I have not played the game, so I can't agree or disagree with you.

GOW PC is broken

Well, it was developed as a console game, so if you want the real experience of playing it, get it on 360. Really, not all console games can make the transition to PC. I mean, imagine how hard it would be to play Street Fighter on a kb/m.

UT3 PC is incomplete...gee I wonder why people might be slightly tiffed at epic.

Apparently you have never heard of patches. Most of the issues have been addressed, and more patches are on the way. We may not have any firm dates yet for them, but Epic has stated numerous times that they are working on them.

UT3 is by no means incomplete. Look at the bugs/lack of content on 2k3. This happens with the introduction of every new engine because it takes time to create maps in the new engine and to find all the bugs. Many of the bonus maps that were included in 2k4 were user created. Look at Torlan, it was made by Hourence originally, and it was included on 2k4 and ut3.

Many of the dead horse issues cease to exist once you are in the actual game. This is assuming that you aren't one of the crowd of 2k4 fans that keep complaining and boycotting because it isn't 2k4.5

Last edited:

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
Well, the PS3 does support usb kb/m, and all the importing is done by usb, so i don't see what your issue is there.

It is not possible in any way to have the power of the editing tools for UT3 on any console. Not only do you have the fact that the consoles do not have the processing power, or ease of navigation, but many modders use other software to model/texture/etc and none of those programs will ever be available to consoles. The closest you could get would be like that crappy forge thing on halo3. That isn't even really level editing though, more like remixing.

MS does not own Epic, nor does it have any type of handhold on UT to enable them to delay it for anyone not on a 360. I believe the reason we haven't seen UT3 on 360 is due to the nature of the Live service, and how it would stifle one of the biggest draws of the game: user created content. Add on to that, they would have to change the netcode a bit to get the game to work with Live (not 100% on that, but it would make sense).

Really, if Epic was trying to only do consoles (and was in M$'s pocket), they would have shipped UT3 with GFWL instead of Gamespy ,which isn't much better, but at least we don't have to pay for it.

If they spend the next 4 years deving a console friendly editor it would a goldmine for MS because they could force more people to buy mods or go buy live to get them.

if MS wills it it shall be done other wise they don't are, and only software thats enabled KB and M support can use KB and M, it MS is willing epic will be the next budgie, altho keeping a PC game off the PC is kinda silly, but MS could easily spend 10+ million and tie epic up for the next 5 years..
=================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSMlee View Post
Bioshock was watered down to the point of mediocrity
Funny, all I hear about Bioshock is how awesome it is. You are like one in a million i guess.
I is special like that *lick*

IMO Dark Messhia has more depth in gameplay design bioshock is a watered down mess, if the AI was not antaquited(deaf) I might could stand it but the sloppy AI,the "all in one" system to replace stats and equipment as well as inventory really just pissed me off.

In all SS2 was better, DM alil better, Iam a game nazi and do not take well to the nevo blind ratings and reviews the sheeple of the industry spew, 9 out of 10 times their 8s and 10s are but 5s and 7s to me.

Well, it was developed as a console game, so if you want the real experience of playing it, get it on 360. Really, not all console games can make the transition to PC. I mean, imagine how hard it would be to play Street Fighter on a kb/m.
I have and it plays better >>
Really tho GOX is broken not in control but just about everything else,its about as stable as I am on sugar and caffine :p.

Apparently you have never heard of patches. Most of the issues have been addressed, and more patches are on the way. We may not have any firm dates yet for them, but Epic has stated numerous times that they are working on them.

UT3 is by no means incomplete. Look at the bugs/lack of content on 2k3. This happens with the introduction of every new engine because it takes time to create maps in the new engine. Many of the bonus maps that were included in 2k4 were user created. Look at Torlan, it was made by Hourence originally, and it was included on 2k4 and ut3.

Many of the dead horse issues cease to exist once you are in the actual game. This is assuming that you aren't one of the crowd of 2k4 fans that keep complaining and boycotting because it isn't 2k4.5

Yes it was patched and is still a cumbersome mess lacking game modes and a coherent GUI......
Tell me fine sir how is the koolaid their? :p

THis is how I see UT3
We start out at a 10

Weapons balances an designs that are fun and potent add 2 points(12).

Horrible cumbersome rushed GUI take away 2 points(10).

Game types screwed with and lessened take away 2 points(8).

Story mode with "story" crappy story but tis something add 1 point(9).

Unfinished editor and fcked up code/ini system (I have no idea where anything is,I can't summon my mods, I can't run my cheats to test sht,I can't permently bind keys in the INI or with the bind command in game).

Dock it 3 points(6).

I'll give you its shiny(1 point(7))

I give BS a 6 because I disagree with the designs, "Doom 3 disagree" , at least BS is not a total waste like D3 was but sti tis quite frustrating to see SystemShock turn into "bullsht".

HL2:OB is about a 8 because its fun and offers ALOT of stuff...altho....even tho I enjoy it..I refuse to put steam on my PC.

GOW is about a 6-7 its not "bad" but the damn bugs annoy me to know end.

UT3 is 6-7 is solid enough but the over all polish is lacking, helpfully epic will lay on thick with the bonuspacks.......

Last edited:

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas

UT3 is by no means incomplete. Look at the bugs/lack of content on 2k3. This happens with the introduction of every new engine because it takes time to create maps in the new engine and to find all the bugs. Many of the bonus maps that were included in 2k4 were user created. Look at Torlan, it was made by Hourence originally, and it was included on 2k4 and ut3.

In defense of UT2003 there were mistakes made but the combat was solid and it just lacked a few tweaks, gametypes and content such as more maps. But it was way more polished then UT3 was at release. I had no technical issues with UT2003 upon release. I still can't get Instant Action working in UT3 to this day!

The UI is a mess still and UT2003's UI was at least made with PC in mind even though it wasn't as good as UT99 or UT2004. All weapons were balanced really well too. In UT3 there were things that there are no excusese for. No ping counter showing up on the scoreboard, no custom crosshairs, no option to roll the camera out so you aren't only seeing the ass of the vehicle you are driving/flying whatever. If anyone objectively sat down with that game and said this is for PC and we need to make it the best game possible there is no way the UI and the things I mentioned could have or should have been left the way they were.

So UT2003 while having problems wasn't nearly as bad as UT3. Plenty of people were playing UT2003 upon its release and up until UT2004 came out. The player base is lacking severely with UT3 right now from what I've seen. This is my opinion but I think your comparison is a little off. All I know is that up until UT3 I was playing the game not posting about it in forums. Its not any one big thing. Its tons of rough edges that create a big problem I believe for gamers which reflects in sales. If you like UT3 kick ass! I wish I did.

As for people who you think are bashing it because it was not UT2004 with a facelift I think that is partially true. Some people thought it was a mstake to remove a certain jumping feature. =D That includes me. But I looked at the game for what it was and would've been happy with a UT99 facelift as well. Their proposed merge of UT2004 and UT99 seemed to be there but IMO was implementedpoorly and thats what hurt the game. EPIC knows how to make a kick ass games when they are motivated. They have the talent and the tech. This was so they could get back to the Gears of War IP. Gears 2 what a suprise.

Anyways Unreal Engine 4 being aimed at consoles seems to me that any dev wanting to take the engine to PC to make a game is going to have trouble if there is code written for processor A for Microsoft's console or processor B for Sony's console. I think if EPIC doesn't intend to make Unreal Engine 4 1. very easy to get up and running on PC or 2. Have a seperate Engine version for PC then I think that could result in developers either not choosing the engine if they're going for PC or the developer wants to use the technology so bad that plans for PC are scratched.

I'm not a programmer and don't know enough or EPIC's plans on this. This would be a disaster for PC gaming. From interviews I am unsure what EPIC plans to do for the PC regarding Unreal Engine 4 and that effects other potential games which is a worry.

Does anyone have any information on this? All of what I just said is highly speculative but a console focused engine... I don't see how that could be good for PC developers.

Last edited:

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
In defense of UT2003 there were mistakes made but the combat was solid and it just lacked a few tweaks, gametypes and content such as more maps. But it was way more polished then UT3 was at release. I had no technical issues with UT2003 upon release. I still can't get Instant Action working in UT3 to this day!

The UI is a mess still and UT2003's UI was at least made with PC in mind even though it wasn't as good as UT99 or UT2004. All weapons were balanced really well too. In UT3 there were things that there are no excusese for. No ping counter showing up on the scoreboard, no custom crosshairs, no option to roll the camera out so you aren't only seeing the ass of the vehicle you are driving/flying whatever. If anyone objectively sat down with that game and said this is for PC and we need to make it the best game possible there is no way the UI and the things I mentioned could have or should have been left the way they were.

So UT2003 while having problems wasn't nearly as bad as UT3. Plenty of people were playing UT3 upon its release and up until UT2004 came out. The player base is lacking severely with UT3 right now from what I've seen. This is my opinion but I think your comparison is a little off. All I know is that up until UT3 I was playing the game not posting about it in forums. Its not any one big thing. Its tons of rough edges that create a big problem I believe for gamers which reflects in sales. If you like UT3 kick ass! I wish I did.

As for people who you think are bashing it because it was not UT2004 with a facelift I think that is partially true. Some people thought it was a mstake to remove a certain jumping feature. =D That includes me. But I looked at the game for what it was and would've been happy with a UT99 facelift as well. Their proposed merge of UT2004 and UT99 seemed to be there but IMO was implementedpoorly and thats what hurt the game. EPIC knows how to make a kick ass games when they are motivated. They have the talent and the tech. This was so they could get back to the Gears of War IP. Gears 2 what a suprise.

Anyways Unreal Engine 4 being aimed at consoles seems to me that any dev wanting to take the engine to PC to make a game is going to have trouble if there is code written for processor A for Microsoft's console or processor B for Sony's console. I think if EPIC doesn't intend to make Unreal Engine 4 1. very easy to get up and running on PC or 2. Have a seperate Engine version for PC then I think that could result in developers either not choosing the engine if they're going for PC or the developer wants to use the technology so bad that plans for PC are scratched.

I'm not a programmer and don't know enough or EPIC's plans on this. This would be a disaster for PC gaming. From interviews I am unsure what EPIC plans to do for the PC regarding Unreal Engine 4 and that effects other potential games which is a worry.

Does anyone have any information on this? All of what I just said is highly speculative but a console focused engine... I don't see how that could be good for PC developers.

the only thing 03 has over ut3 is the gui maybe a more solid editor...sorry but 03 was rushed harder and faster than UT3, at least considering the multi console focus of UT3.

UT03 is crap to me, 99 is a much more solid and fun game, 04 is a glorified expansion of a patch to 03 but it manged to add to it and fix enough to make it its own.

Ut3 is rushed but in different areas compared to 03, if they waiting and released the PS3 version a year later the PC version would have at least been rock solid.

I wonder when these "companies" will wake up and realize you don't do multi releases at the same time unless you have the man power to ensure the product is ready for launch.....

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Hmmz! Well if current asset creation trends keep up then Epic might have to sell 2million just to break even. I can imagine the unreal editor tools will get better and better but theres only so much you can do from UE3 onwards to improve workflow and save time. UE3 was a huge step forwards in that regards catching up to alot of the newer techniques.

Well the point Im trying to make is that if UE4 is aimed 4 years into the future, we wont see it fully in action till atleast 5-6 years in and a game perhaps a year after that at the earliest. For instance, how long ago was it that we saw the first UE3 clips? and alot of those were directX 9.

The way I see it though with Epic's direction, AAA on console might bring in money but its not always going to be win/win. The PC market got rather saturated there with FPS and 2k4 managed to do well despite that fact, yet UT3 doesnt seem to be going so well, I can see the same thing happening on console. Gears was very lucky with its timing but hey UT3 could sell well on 360 as well, perhaps people are just holding off on to get that version.

See theres a risk involved especially with Epic competing with themselves on PC, once they start doing that on other platforms it could hurt them like its hurting the PC side of their business.

I just think its perhaps time for them to branch out and give us something which isnt an action/shooter. Sure its what they are good at and Im sure they like doing it but with the market already saturated I dont think sales are going to go up in a hurry, if anything they'll hit critical mass and thats it, to try and do that with 2 games in similar genre's must be difficult. I guess thats why companies like EA have sports, sim, shooter, RTS etc.

I do miss pinball Epic :cool:

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
MonsOlympus

I take no issue with the need to push sales, or focus on consoles, hell sell a better editor for 40$, I am even wiling to buy a revised version of ut3 but the main trouble is we are saturated in FPSs and the vital 360 FPS market is going un used as they fight MS over mod rights...Live is hurting everyone but MS it would seem..

Anyway pubs need to gives devs more time to finish projects and slot in proper oder I don't mind waiting a year for a polished PC release I would much rather wait than get a POS port when the kidde version hits the shelfs.

I'll call the kidde consoles kidde until they open up the control over the control some more, I can't wait till the PS3 gets hacked enough so that one can config controls on it, the suits do not see any value in letting consumers configure their control..

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well I dunno, I guess I see Epic saying oh yes we are pushing for sales when in essence thats not what they are doing. If they were the PC would be getting alot more of Epic's attention since its obvious that console games sell at peak already, so that would be the area to try and expand your business.

Not only that but to reach different types of gamers, I could almost guarantee the people playing Gears would be the same ones playing Halo 3, COD4 or UT3.

I just think its alittle unfair to justify calling people hardcore or casual based on their choice in, or money spent on games. Hell there are people who can play monopoly for weeks on end or solitare but for some reason these people are called casual gamers even though they are spending alot of time playing games. To me its the time invested which determines a hardcore or casual gamer! So if you own Halo 3 or UT3 for eg and play 10 hours a week tops then that would be casual, if you play solitare or perhaps scrabble for 25 hours a week tops but not 10 and under then you would be a hardcore gamer in my eyes.

Replay value is something we see very little of in reviews, I guess they dont bring it up in linear titles to try not to cheat them but in essence they will never match freeform. The likes of dues ex, system shock 2 and the GTA3 series wont be forgotten in a hurry, well in a way they can be :p with each play through changing slightly. Alot of other shooters turn into a remember where and when things happen and you can basically clock it in half the time second time through.

So which ever way Epic decides to go is fine by me, Im certainly hoping on another Unreal title, I just hope its not all UT4 and Gears 3 by the time we hit UE4 :)

Last edited: