Have people read this article on piracy?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
When it's too old and full of outdated standards, it's time to bite the bullet and simply get a new system entirely, ....
(Q) Who made those 'standards' obsolete to begin with ?
(A) the people that make their money by building bigger/better mouse-traps ...

There's nothing 'obsolete' about a system that's 3 years old, except that game-developers stopped creating games for those systems 2 years ago.
Compare that to console-developers that manage to create titles for a PS1 and PS2 (both are equally 'obsolete' standards)

It really is hard to justify spending money on hardware that's declared obsolete even though the majority of the software uses a small percentage of its capacity. Heck ... if it weren't for Crysis we wouldn't have had a game that could make the 8800-series use 80% of its potential.

Never mind that todays' hardware-requirements for most games read like a catalog for nVidia & Intel. One can't expect the average consumer to even know how to answer a simple question like : can a computer run this *as advertised*.

HudsonC

Jan 30, 2008
Gaming has always pushed the technology of PC's. That's why people that had "Gaming PC" Could run Vista and your average HP,Dell or whatever couldn't run it when Vista 1st came out. Nature of the Beast. I do wish that games scaled better with lower end machines but, I will not blame any game developer when most PC makers don't even include a video card or a power supply capable of running one if you install it. I did some time as a PC salesman and it's hard to convince someone to buy a higher end machine to play games even if that's what they tell you that's what they want to do. And don't even get me started on the morons that thought MS Office is included in every PC.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
When it's too old and full of outdated standards, it's time to bite the bullet and simply get a new system entirely, if you're planning on gaming with it. I had to do it because I knew the usefulness of my Athlon XP 3000+ would be just about none for modern games. Throw in only a gig of RAM, AGP videocard... and you get the idea.

I got mine for about a thousand bucks and it plays UT3 excellently on maximum settings.

Of course, one of the sticks of RAM died shortly thereafter and I spent $100 on 4 GB of DD2-800... and next month I'm likely buying dual 750 GB SATA Hard Drives to replace the dual 300 GB IDEs I currently have...

At least now if I need to upgrade, most of my stuff could transfer over to a new system, as opposed to my soundcard and hard drives (and some peripheral stuff like mouse, keyboard, etc.) which are all that I was able to use in my new system compared to the old one.
Nice post...but you kinda prove the post Peregrine is making.

Planning on gaming isn't correct...it's planning on next-generation gaming that you're referring to. I don't know how gaming stores in the US stores look, but in Belgium, I notice one trend:

the trashcan game department is growing.

With a "trashcan game", I mean one that can be played on a low or medium PC (by today's standards). They're usually sold at five to ten bucks top. Years ago, stores would rarely have such a "trashcan" department. Older games simply weren't available anymore, or a slight handful random ones at the most. Nowadays, practically all stores have them, and the amount of this "previous generation" games is almost nearing the new games (certainly in variety, but that's kinda obvious). And if you know where to find, an old computer that can play these games isn't hard to come by. It wouldn't surprise me if I could get a computer that can play UT99 and the game itself for less than the price of UT3 sans computer.

Why spend 1000 bucks on a PC if the added effort is exclusively for gaming? The entire advantage of having a PC instead of a console just happens to be those extra programs to get things running (well, there are others, but the console department is making rapid improvements into providing that).

Compare it to cars...when they were just invented, they were slow, loud, polluting, and so on. Everyone bought one, which allowed car manufacturers to invest that money to make safer, better and more quiet cars. People upgraded their cars (okay, mostly, they went with a new one...you get the picture), and yet again new models were produced. Yet faster, quieter, less poluting. This cycle repeated for some time, but stopped in the end.
Why? Not because the manufacturers are running out of ways to improve cars, but because people simply didn't need faster cars (what use is a maximum speed of 400 miles/hour if you can never even get beyond 50 in your local city?).

That's what I'm saying here...games can be better and more realistic and all that ****...but who needs it? The ones who do exist, but they're only a small portion of the total amount of gamers. Not all roads cater for Formula 1 cars and the latest ferrari's, right? Then why should all games be made for the most recent hardware?

Anuban said:
Finally someone that makes sense and gets that the graphics in UT2k4 in no way match up to the graphics in UT3. When people say otherwise I have to laugh and shake my head ... even without the bloom the differences are enormous. Especially in the detail of the models (character, vehicles, weapons) and the detail of the static meshes. The texture quality/depth blows UT2K4 out the door. I play them both at least once a day and man it is shocking. And lets not even talk about the realistic movement of the bots now (look at them run with weapons and compare that to how the bots in prev games look when they run and of course hopping while they are running.

There is no normal bumpmapping in UT2k4 and that makes a huge amount of difference in how the weapons look ... in UT3 they look "heavy" and real ...and battle worn. Not in UT2K4. And enough can't be said about the differences in the lighting sub-engines between the two. In fact in this area there is flat out no comparison. Combine that with HDR and UT3 blows UT2K4 out the water graphically ... as it should ... this is three years later and things have advanced.

When people say UT2K4 is just as good looking as UT3 I have to remind people of Gears of War ... now if someone can say with a straight face that UT2K4 looks as good as Gears they have a lot of nerve (not to mention they are lying and they know it) but the truth it of course it doesn't, and if UT3 looks just as good (or even better in some aspects) as Gears as the vast majority of gamers and critics agree it does then of course this also means there is NO comparison in the visual fidelity of UT3 to UT2K4.
I haven't heard anyone in this thread or another say that, Anuban. If that's supposed to be a sneer at me and people agreeing with me, you better read our posts more carefully. UT3 looks better than UT2004. The question we're asking is "so what?". You're acting as if realism makes games, or that current games are better than ever just because they look better than ever. The average gamer doesn't give a wooden nickel about bumpmapping, realistic bot movement or the details of Malcolms nosehair. They just want a fun game...and you can achieve that with far less than UE3 has to offer.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Then why should all games be made for the most recent hardware?
Because the people that buy the expensive hardware feel the need to justify their decision to their parents/wife/girlfriend ?
;)

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Nice article. This can't be repeated enough:

The reason why we don't put copy protection on our games isn't because we're nice guys. We do it because the people who actually buy games don't like to mess with it. Our customers make the rules, not the pirates. Pirates don't count. We know our customers could pirate our games if they want but choose to support our efforts. So we return the favor - we make the games they want and deliver them how they want it. This is also known as operating like every other industry outside the PC game industry.

PC upgrading is crazy. After 3 years I have computer 5-10x faster then before (depends on cores utilization) - this I can use also for normal work (Java development), but GFX is like 30x better + new features... and it was semi-stupid deal. And yes, I upgraded because of UT3 and I'm not sure if I did right. However it will be usable 3 years later as well so I'm not angry that much. I don't care UT3 being demanding game.

BTW: I was pirate playing UT99 many years ago. If I hadn't been I'd never have got to playing UT probably so in the long run Epic got what they deserved (all UTs bought now ;-)). So I don't think that piracy has only bad effect. You can argue that Epic might have bancrupt because many pirates at their start... but they didn't.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Actually, Stardock is full of crap when they say the are operating like every other industry outside the PC game industry. Have they not noticed the steps taken by Microsoft to thwart piracy? And what about Adobe products? The fact that these piracy prevention steps can be cracked or overridden in not relevant; Stardock has their own measures for dealing with piracy for their other products. Why do they single out other game developers in that respect? It may sound up front like Stardock is on to something, but in my opinion, they are talking out of both sides of their mouth.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
N If that's supposed to be a sneer at me and people agreeing with me, you better read our posts more carefully. UT3 looks better than UT2004. The question we're asking is "so what?". You're acting as if realism makes games, or that current games are better than ever just because they look better than ever. The average gamer doesn't give a wooden nickel about bumpmapping, realistic bot movement or the details of Malcolms nosehair. They just want a fun game...and you can achieve that with far less than UE3 has to offer.

I don't do sneers dude ... grow up. I'm old enough to where if I have something to say to you I will say it. I can assure of that. I'm not a coward my friend. But the point is its my opinion. Its that simple. You feel the way you do and you seem to be rooted in your opinion and I feel the way I do and I am rooted in mine. So I guess you and I have nothing further to discuss since we are not going to convince the other their POV is incorrect in anyway. And I don't want us to get into a verbal sparring match ... I don't see the point in that either. So let's agree to disagree and move on.

Yeah man the average gamer doesn't care about Graphics .. right ... that is why Gears of War got crushed by RFoM in the retail market .. oh wait ... I'm sorry it was the other way around ... Gears crushed everything and millions bought the game (folks are still buying it) ... ahh but it couldn't be for the graphics could it be. Hmmm I guess no one really wants the makes of MGS4 to put as much work into that game as they have. Dude get real ... people do care about graphics ... Millions of gamers care about graphics ... what planet have you been on?

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
very nice article - thx

gaming is just like music or movies and it will get pirated, but to say that loses are on all pirated copies or that something didnt sell well because of piracy is not true for gaming either... its a fact that most pirated copies would never have been purchased anyway, something the riaa and government constantly gloss over....

good products sell if they deliver at the right place and time (most of the time) its the smaller artists and studios that have more to lose from piracy than the big guns...

Well, in many ways UT3 is what we wanted. Just because the UI is terrible and the Gamespy integration is sub par to say the least doesn't mean we didn't get the game we wanted, we just didn't get the package we expected.

UT3 didnt get the treatment it deserved. plain and simple. it was an ugly case of premature release and we collectively as Epics fanboi grrlfriends have never recovered and are still in therapy...

In the meantime, if you want to make profitable PC games, I'd recommend focusing more effort on satisfying the people willing to spend money on your product and less effort on making what others perceive as hot. But then again, I don't romanticize PC game development. I just want to play cool games and make a profit on games that I work on.

end quote from the article is good and sound - the one problem is that nearly everyone, in every entertainment industry who isnt a true independant artist or developer has to follow whats "hot" (and thats whatever some marketing dipsticks who have no clue and follow formulas in banal marketing bibles tell them is cool) because in the end they are working for 'the man' and so they cant just put out what will work for them AND make them $ too. itd be a wonderful world if that was always possible to do...

Last edited:

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
That's exactly what I said earlier: who ARE those people that want their games to look better than ever? Sure, they exist and generally roam forums like this one...but the majority of people - indeed - rather have their game run on 4 year old hardware.

totally disagree... in this throwaway society we live in, very few ppl (adults w/jobs) own any electronic gadget including computers thats more than a year or so old. (or if they do, they wont admit it).

and as was stressed in the article, "hardcore gamers" are a very small segment of the audience and are not 'typical' customers... its important to seperate your customers from everyone and especially from ppl who pirated the game or just are talking about the game (like forumers!) i cant tell you how wildly my eyes roll when ppl talk about UT3 but dont own it or play it.

back to what youre saying, of course GamePlay > Graphics. if a game does play well who cares if its not super maxxed to the teeth gfx? BUT, if it plays well but looks like 1999, it has to be a freakin unbelieveably amazing, unique, fun, once in a lifetime experience for most of todays gamers (including me) if we're going to play it on our 1 year old machine with a decent gfx card ;)

Last edited:

h.pocus

Jan 20, 2008
I know one of the companies he is talking about is definitely Epic and of course they are referring to both Gears of War PC and UT3 PC.

One of the few things epic did right with ut3, is drop the copy protection. If this has already been mentioned itt +1.

Last edited:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Wanna know what's really sad? Epic Games has had its ass kicked in the PC gaming field by little Stardock! Sins of a Solar Empire has an excellent user interface and it rocks. The user interface is fast and smooth; it feels like a PC game.

Perhaps Epic could learn a lot from these guys about how to make games for the PC. Did I say that it was important for the user interface to be fast and smooth? Oh that's right, Epic did make a good user interface and server browser once with UT 2004; they messed up UT3 for the PC intentionally as a design decision.

I think I heard that last week Sins of a Solar Empire was the #1 selling PC game. UT3? Probably not even in the top 20. Epic Games on the PC? Pwned by Stardock!

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Considering that Epic is not just a PC game dev, neither is iD, I'm not sure we should be comparing Stardock to either developer. Valve, otoh, does have a PS3 version of the Orange Box.

As for Stardock, meh. Sins doesn't really sound all that interesting to me. To be honest, Sins looks very old school in the graphics department. I'm sure Epic could have taken the old engine route and updated UE1 and gotten the same level of graphical goodness as Sins. If million of other people like that style of graphics, I'm not going to bash them. But, because of the different nature of both games, UT3 and Sins, I feel there is little comparison that can be made between the two.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Actually, Stardock is full of crap when they say the are operating like every other industry outside the PC game industry. Have they not noticed the steps taken by Microsoft to thwart piracy? ...

I think he was referring to everyone outside of the software/pc-industry.
You know ... the guys that build and design cars, mobile phones, clothing.
He's not referring to the measures taken to prevent piracy, but the fact that (non game-)developers tend to make sure that they're building something that the audience wants to pay for in the first place.

That is the one thing that (most) game-developers appear to have forgotten.
You can't create a game, throw lots of marketing at it and have it become #1 without knowing if there's an audience for the game to begin with.

In other words : game-developers tend to build games for a an audience of x amount of people and wonder why they can't sell the 10 times x units they need to cover their expenses.

It's not "build it and they will buy" ... because only a few developers are famous enough for that tactic to work in the current state of the game-industry.

Last edited:

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
And those manufacturers you speak of create and sell tangible items. It's kinda difficult for the average cell phone pirate to steal a cell phone without actually stealing the phone. But, with software, the pirate does not steal an item, he steals code, which is for the most part an intangible asset in that regard. Software theft does not directly affect the end user, except through anti-piracy measures and possibly pricing of the software itself. But, it does affect the developer and/or publisher. This is a very different situation than theft of a cell phone. When is the last time your heard a cell phone manufacturer discussing anti-theft measures installed on a phone? Sure, those measures exist, but they aren't really focused on by the manufacturer or the most users. And, the pricing of cell phones is not related in any way shape or form by phone theft.

In the end, it is left up to each individual developer to protect his software creation in the best manner he sees fit to use. It's really that simple. Stardock lucked out and found something that works for them. But they are full of crap of they say they don't take anti-piracy measures at all with any of their other products. They should clean out their own closet before pointing fingers at other devs.

Last edited:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Considering that Epic is not just a PC game dev, neither is iD, I'm not sure we should be comparing Stardock to either developer. Valve, otoh, does have a PS3 version of the Orange Box.

As for Stardock, meh. Sins doesn't really sound all that interesting to me. To be honest, Sins looks very old school in the graphics department. I'm sure Epic could have taken the old engine route and updated UE1 and gotten the same level of graphical goodness as Sins. If million of other people like that style of graphics, I'm not going to bash them. But, because of the different nature of both games, UT3 and Sins, I feel there is little comparison that can be made between the two.

Stardock was intentionally lenient with the graphics; I think they said that their goal was to have as many PC owners be able to play the game as possible while still having it look good.

The comparison isn't in the area of graphics--it's in the area of the user interface which has little to do with graphics. In the user interface area, Stardock pwned Epic. The Sins of a Solar Empire user interface is lightening quick and smooth and it seems to offer comprehensive options.

If you enjoy 4x games like Civilization and Alpha Centauri but wouldn't mind if the game moved at a faster pace with less micromanagement and would enjoy playing with and against other people online (or not) give the Sins demo a try.

Last edited:

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
The issue is, is that Sins is a very specific market designed for the PC. You don't really see many 4x games on the consoles, and for good reason. They're complex for the majority of their audiences.

When you make an FPS ... well, that's everybodies domains, and there is no way a single game is going to please everybody!