Bring back 4 teams

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Would you like to see 4 teams return?

• More teams I say!

Votes: 82 85.4%
  • 2 is enough!

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • I still like toast!

Votes: 7 7.3%

• Total voters

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
Definitely yes. I was very, very disappointed when they limited it to two teams in UT2k3, but unfortunately I don't see it happening.

Xipher

I didn't break it, you did
Feb 15, 2004
Iowa
The CTF4 mod is great, and I would love to see a return in 2007, and if it could be offically done, or at least not have 2 teams so freaking hard coded, it would be great.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
If support for higher and higher player counts continues, and people keep releasing maps like DM-CBP2-Xanadu, then it holds the potential to extend the life of the game greatly, and very simply.

We used to love us some 3 team DOM, and it didn't get popular until way late in UT's life, but when it did, the 3 servers that ran it were always populated.

Also keeping it so that you team color carries on into DM so's to further diversify models uniqueness, then I see really no negatives to doing so.

Gametypes with mapped bases though, should prolly stay 2 team. Although having the option would be really cool, if the map could retroactively dictate how many teams are availible. Like have CTF continually 4 team capable, and just have the map dictate how many teams, and disperse players accordingly. Really could be done with all team games that need a "base". With integrated map voteing again, you have a solution to "when player counts are low", just vote 2 team maps.

TDM would need it opted in the gametype.

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
4 teams is awesome. In ut99 when you were playing 4 team TDM it felt less like "Deathmatch with specific targets/not targets" and more like you were actualy part of a team that worked together to reach a goal.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Just imagine the insanity of playing Conquest with 4 (or even more) teams.
Add in some kind of (temporary) alliance-system and you'd have almost all of the features of a 'normal' rts ...

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
...and that is something some are actually trying to evolve too... RTS with each pawn player controlled... kinda like Natural Selection. That game was really cool.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
There's another game like that...
Savage is it? Something of that nature.

One player controlled the "army" as the "overseer" giving commands and managing resources, etc. The rest of the players controlled the actual pawns. It was pretty cool. Played it over a friends house a while back.

I also agree.... bring back the ability to wear tc's in normal DM for diversity sake...

I'd also like to see more diversity in the team colors too. I love it when a skins look totally changes with it's TC, not just red or blue slapped on over it in places.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Decent teamcolours instead of those paintbucket-jobs definitely are a must-have.
It'd be a real shame if an engine that can display millions of polygons&colours would feature such lazy teamskins ...

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
BooGiTyBoY said:
There's another game like that...
Savage is it? Something of that nature.

One player controlled the "army" as the "overseer" giving commands and managing resources, etc. The rest of the players controlled the actual pawns. It was pretty cool. Played it over a friends house a while back.

I also agree.... bring back the ability to wear tc's in normal DM for diversity sake...

I'd also like to see more diversity in the team colors too. I love it when a skins look totally changes with it's TC, not just red or blue slapped on over it in places.
And glowing / animated bits (not like shoulder lights tho, ffs).

Aside from being able to have 4 way TDM (which was great fun when you got teams ganging up vs the winners etc) using the different teamskins was good fun for variety going into FFA dm.

Teamskins need to be high visibility, never mind normal skins, and i'd love to be able to choose from at least 4 colourings..red, green, blue, yellow... lilac? orange? white? tourqoise?

Don't know how hard it would be to introduce multiple teamskins ability without skinning each individual colour, but some sort of overlay (especially with tomorrow's complexities) maybe implement a personal colour. Would be great to apply this to other things too, like the weapons, or a badge on a vehicle, or something....

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
a Black team? That's hardly a good idea in a dark environment vs a yellow or a green team. Obvious advantage to the blacks that could not be seen.

Common sense, gregori, it's something you can learn ;)

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Didn't they say in teh first article about Conquest that ti would involve more than the usual two teams. In fact i tohught i read that it included up to eight?
I expect i read it wrong or maybe they meant "teams" differently to how i intepreted it but still. it got my hopes up for 4TDM, i doubt very much there would be 4CTF but i would very much like to be able to pick and choose skins like i could in the old days. If not face&body&colour then atleast skin&colour.
(As you might be able to tell from my sig i was very much a green player!) :)

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
edhe said:
And glowing / animated bits (not like shoulder lights tho, ffs).
Teamskins need to be high visibility, never mind normal skins, and i'd love to be able to choose from at least 4 colourings..red, green, blue, yellow... lilac? orange? white? tourqoise?
Red & Orange would look almost identical from a distance. Especially for people with crappy graphics.
I think that 4 is the practical limit for a game like this, unless you'd like to make IFF realisticly difficult ...

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
no you can have more than four easily, white, turquoise and purple easily would fit in their, it's more a question of what the lighting will be like on maps that'll limit the colours,

i don't think any computers with crappy graphics could even play this game,

it be rock if you could use projectors to put team logo and tatoos onto your charater,
or if their was some character painter screen like there is in Dawn of war!

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
gregori said:
no you can have more than four easily, white, turquoise and purple easily would fit in their, it's more a question of what the lighting will be like on maps that'll limit the colours,

i don't think any computers with crappy graphics could even play this game,

it be rock if you could use projectors to put team logo and tatoos onto your charater,
or if their was some character painter screen like there is in Dawn of war!

Some people find it ahrd to tell teh difference between Green and Gold as it is!

The dawn of war Do Hicky was pretty nifty though!