UT keeps restarting my system...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Skin

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
I just got UT to work on my Athlon 500, SBLive! sound card, GeForce 256 system but my system will just restart in the middle of the game. At first I thought it was just overheating so I took off the case but that didn't help one bit. I have the latest drivers for the GeForce and the 413 patch. Could this be a problem from the GeForce, should it work okay now, is it overheating or something else? This normally doesn't happen much with my system once or twice a week atmost. Q3A always works fine for me even on the highest graphics settings and I haven't even done that with UT. Thanks.

The Toastman

Apr 19, 2000
Arkansas, USA
Visit site
Doesn't sound like this is your problem, but what the heck: the direct3d dll file in the 4.13 patch is all screwed up. If you haven't already, you might try going to unreal.epicgames.com and downloading the separate d3d.dll file.

cxs

Jan 15, 2000
I hear there is some sort of power problem with Athlon processors...you may wanna research that a little bit. This was happening to me before...does your computer ever restart when Windows begins/is about to load? Anyway, I installed the original drivers for my video card and now UT runs better. It hasn't frozen or restarted my computer since I installed them a few days ago. Maybe my updated drivers were just buggy. I don't know...I'm just trying to suggest some stuff...

Skin

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
I don't think that it has ever restarted when Windows is loading but I'm definatly going to research it because that sounds like the best answer to my problem so far. Hopefully I find away to fix it thanks for all the help.

Skin

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
Well, I did the thing and changed the *.dll file I can't remember the name of it. Now my system isn't crashing. It doesn't have the time it just locks up at some point in the game it would be 10 min. or 2 hours. There is still that possibility that I'll play longer then I ever could before but right now, it is getting really iritating.

The Toastman

Apr 19, 2000
Arkansas, USA
Visit site
cxs brings up a good point about Athlons and power supplies. Athlons are VERY power-hungry, and with the GeForce256 (a very power-hungry video card) if you system has a 250watt or smaller power supply that could be your problem. You just may not be experiencing it anywhere except in UT because UT drives your hardware harder than most other games/software. Another possibility is motherboard. Early versions of the FIC SD11 Athlon board and a few other early K7 mobos were very unstable. If your system is a name-brand off-the-shelf system (i.e. an HP, Compaq, etc purchased at Best Buy, Compusa, etc) then Mobo shouldn't be an issue.
For powersupply, I recommend a 300watt.

Skin

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
Dammit... I know my mother board is FIC I'm looking for the box it came in to check and see if it is that version... I'm pretty sure it is though like 87% sure that is the one it is. I think my power supply is a 350 or 300 so I don't have to worry about that. Ohhh well, looks like I'm going to be picking up a new motherboard this weekend.... The SD11 is recommended by AMD why would they recommend a board with problems? Is it something I can get the company to replace?

[This message has been edited by Skin (edited 04-20-2000).]
I just played Q3 arena for 1 hour after UT froze me 4 times in less then a minute each. Someone has got to know what is wrong. WHy would my computer play Q3A fine and UT not at all? Isn't Q3A more demanding?

[This message has been edited by Skin (edited 04-20-2000).]

The Toastman

Apr 19, 2000
Arkansas, USA
Visit site
UT is a little more intensive than Q3 on your system, not to mention a little buggier. Of course, the buggy part I think comes from the greater number of features in UT (more features==more things that can go wrong). As far as mobo, if it is an FIC, printed somewhere on the board (usually in one of the corners) is a version number, like 1.2, 1.6 etc. The FIC SD11 didn't really become stable until ver 1.8, I believe it was. The first release (can't remember the version) had a week transistor that rebooted the system when stressed. If you have one of those boards, you should be able to get it replaced by the company. As far as a new mobo goes, look for one with the new VIA KX133 chipset like the Asus K7V (NOT the K7M) or Epox 7KXA. There is my novel for today. Hope you can gleen some useful info out of there somewhere...

p.s. 350w power supply?!?! Kick *** ! No juice problems there...

John

Nov 15, 1999
Bern, Switzerland
Visit site
I have the same problem SKin with my P3 600EB...so it cant be because of Athlon..i have an ASUS P3C2000 board..nottin is overclicked..system restarts after 5minutes of playing UT ! I did that with the d3ddr.dll file...no help....i have DX7 and patch 413 installed....maybe set up my volt from 1.65 to 1.75 ?

The Toastman

Apr 19, 2000
Arkansas, USA
Visit site
Hmmm. Unforunately, nothing jumps out at me Reiko. Just curious, what video card are you using?
As for voltage, in an ideal world (which I am aware this isn't), everything should be most stable at factory default settings. Sorry I don't have any ideas for ya Reiko, other than the norm (drivers, patches, etc) which you seem to have covered.

Licker

Apr 30, 2000
Visit site
Man! I have the same problem... sometime during the game, my puter just restarts on me! I have a brand new Intel CC820 (fixed sdram version) and a Matrox G400 Video card (everything has the latest drivers, bios', inf's etc...) Game runs like a dream until-<beeeew *blink*>

The Toastman

Apr 19, 2000
Arkansas, USA
Visit site
Light at the end of the tunnel...
Reiko's Asus P3C2000 is also based on the i820 chipset hacked to support SDRAM, and I do mean "hacked". The i820 was designed for Rambus memory, and in order to support SDRAM, Intel had to add a memory translater. A very buggy memory translator...
Don't know for sure that this is the problem, but there are a lot of known issues with i820 SDRAM-based boards. Plus, if you check out www.tomshardware.com or www.anandtech.com and look up motherboard reviews, SDRAM i820 boards really seem to perform badly in memory intensive apps (like UT). :(
You might try starting a thread with "UT and i820 SDRAM boards" in the subject and find out if this is a common problem with that chipset.
Right now, the best option for a motherboard that supports intel CPUs at 133mhz bus and SDRAM is boards based on the VIA Apollo Pro 133 chipset. SDRAM bus on that chipset also supports 133mhz :)

[This message has been edited by The Toastman (edited 04-30-2000).]

Licker

Apr 30, 2000
Visit site
yeah, I do have a strong feeling it's the MB... I am an IPD so I'm gunna call intel up tomorrow and find out what's up!! Lucky for me I work as a technician at a comp. firm so I'm gunna try swapping MB's in my comp. and see if that solves anything. I'll let ya know. Good idea Toast! I think I'll start that thread right now!

Later!
~Licker

mason188

May 16, 2000
Visit site
I have an athlon 750 and I had a monster sound MX300 and never had this problem. Recently I upgraded to the SB Live Platinum and Unreal went to hell and it restarts after playing for a little bit...u guys have the sb lives too?

smittybc

Me again....just wondering if this is happening to anyone else in any mode beside internet multiplayer. I've never tried LAN and I can play forever it seems in single player.
Also forgot to mention I'm running 300 watt AT power supply.