13 Steam Boxes w/ partial stats and prices.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Trustingsoup

Cannon fodder
Jan 20, 2008
In front of my computer
Alternate- $1399 Gigabyte GTX 760 Intel Core i5 4570 16GB 1TB SSHD
CyberpowerPC- $499 and up AMD Radeon R9 270 / Nvidia GTX 760 AMD/Intel Core i5 8GB 500GB
Digital Storm—Bolt II $2584 GTX 780 Ti Intel Core i7 4770K 16GB 1TB HDD + 120GB SSD
Gigabyte—Brix Pro TBD Intel Iris Pro 5200 Intel Core i7-4770R 2x 4GB 1TB SATA 6Gb/s
Falcon Northwest—Tiki $1799—$6000 Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN Customizable 8—16GB Up to 6TB
iBuyPower -$499 and up Radeon GCN Graphics Quad Core AMD or Intel 8GB 500GB+
Materiel.net- $1098 MSI GeForce GTX 760 OC Intel Core i5 4440 8GB 8GB+1TB SSHD
Origin PC—Chronos- TBD (configurable) 2x 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX TITANs Intel Core i7 4770k (3.9—4.6GHz) n/a n/a
Next SPA TBD Nvidia GT 760 Intel Core i5 8GB 1TB
Scan—NC10- $1090 Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M Intel Core i3 4000M 8GB 500GB
Webhallen- $1499 Nvidia GT 780 Intel Core i7 4771 16GB 1TB SSHD
Zotac- $599 Nvidia GeForce GTX (TBD) Intel Core (TBD) TBD TBD
Alienware- TBD TBD TBD TBD TBD

Thanks to Ars Technica (Picture gallery at link.)

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond

From that article, there's a comment below that really explains beautifully what Valve is doing.

michael.ryan.langley said:
I'd call it stark, sober clarity on the part of Valve to launch a 'platform' that is merely an extension of their services to any hardware maker who wants to partner with them; it's a stroke of genius that demonstrates Valve's keen self-awareness and understanding of what has worked and what hasn't for other people trying to democratize user experiences across a diverse platform of devices.

Like Google, it's not necessarily about financially dominating in that particular space or selling raw units of any one product determines the success of Valve's endeavors. Succeed or fail with market share growth, they are in a position to gather data and analytics they will wholly own and benefit from exclusively, and they are going to make money doing it.

No matter what happens in this 'steam machine' market space, they are not going to lose money, and they can't really piss anyone off by offering a different way to experience their products without interfering with their current audience and quality of services, nor are they in any position to want to do so, unlike Sony and Microsoft, who absolutely need you to move onto their new machines to stay solvent, Valve can do something like this and still not give a shit what you do beyond playing your games on Steam however you see fit.

It's also a pretty big deal to say, within months of a newly launched console hardware cycle, that the only company capable of shaking up the status quo of what it means to play, own, and enjoy videogames in a meaningful way is Valve, a company who doesn't make hardware, and frankly, doesn't rely on making their own games to sustain themselves.

It's a fascinating litmus point for the industry at large I think. It's fucking brilliant, and speaks to a sense of supreme confidence, not the lack thereof on Valve's part. They certainly don't need to be doing any of this to profit.

If the market turns into an Andriod style shitshow of confusion, Valve may step in with a device to clarify the space if it becomes, like Andriod, a wild success in spite of itself. But why bother unless you have to? And how do you know what users feel to be lacking or broken about the experience until you get some free R&D done on your behalf to base your device's selling points on?

I would argue such a pragmatic approach to business is sorely lacking in this industry, and is part of what makes Valve unique. They don't need you to think they care or try and win you over, they'd just rather sit back and profit from figuring out how you think.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
The only reason you buy these is because your tower doesn't fit under your TV.
I'd love to know who on god's green Earth still has a tower that cannot already fit just fine in their living room...

ILLIAC2.jpg

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Well my P180 probably wouldn't fit well under that small TV stand of mine... At the very least it wouldn't look nearly as nice as something designed for that form factor.

But I'm pretty sure that a PS4 will go under there so...

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
The biscuit gives his feelings. Cliffnotes: The cheap ones will rival with the consoles and will be treated like a gateway drug for people to try out PC gaming. The expensive ones are just PC's in smaller boxes so fuck em. Overall they all are kinda stupid.

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjRueOEjpcA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ[/M]

Last edited: