Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Funny, I saw Resurrection as a kid before any of the other ones and I loved it. Imo, all of them are great. I never got creeped out or spooked or awed by the story in any of them, I just watch them as action/suspense movies and they all worked awesome for me in that regard. :hmm:

/2cents

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Mother's Day - 7/10

The type of horror movie that makes you feel dirty watching it. Horrible subject matter, but it was really effective and I couldn't take my eyes off of it. Some surprisingly good performances in here, but also characters making really stupid decisions, typical of the genre.

Wouldn't recommend unless you are really desensitized to violence. Otherwise I think it's one of the better home invasion movies out there.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Alien - 6/10

I don't think I've ever seen this up until now. I just don't think it holds up as a "masterpiece" in 2012. Sure it was technically impressive for its time, but it doesn't do much for me now.

One of the problems I had with it was the characters. I had no emotional attachment to any of them. Didn't care who died.

Dialogue was meh, and some of the acting was just bad (pretty much any scene where a character cries).

The super slow camera movements and overall slow pacing didn't help much either.

Maybe if I saw it back then I would've appreciated it more.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Alien was a film that was way ahead of it's time.
I could write pages about what it did for the film industry as a whole or simply for the genre itself.
If you can point me to a sci-fi film with a more badass alien in it - I'm all ears.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Maybe if I saw it back then I would've appreciated it more.

Some of what takes place in Alien might seem commonplace these days but at the time it was a stunning revelation.

The point that I was trying to make is that you are viewing Alien through the filter of what has come after it.

That visceral impact has been diluted by subsequent Alien films and so-so spin-offs (vs.) and also by its influence on other productions.

The chest burster has become a cliché but at the time folk (me included) had to be peeled from the ceiling after that scene. It's one of those scenes like the shower scene from Psycho; you can know what it's about without ever having seen any Hitchcock.

There was a time when no one had ever seen an Alien and it was strictly adults-only. They aren't quite giving them away in breakfast cereal packs now but we aren't far off. Familiarity dilutes impact.

I debated before watching it again if I should rate on the basis of my current reaction or on its significance and my memory of watching it the first time. In the event, it became a sort on non-decision because I thought it stood up pretty well and I enjoyed the experience.

Your rating isn't wrong - it reflects your experience. It's just a pity that you never had the opportunity to be scared s******s the way nature intended. :)

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Prometheus - 8/10

An excellent film marred perhaps only by some weaker script writing and leaning far too heavily on Alien, attempting to recreate or mirror key scenes from its predecessor, but make them slightly different.

Well worth the watch, and additionally entertaining for me, as I could name almost all the locations in which the film had clearly been shot!

Prometheus for the record is not a prequel, but it's great in that it both answers a lot of questions about the Alien universe, and creates twice as many new ones.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Prometheus - 8/10

An excellent film marred perhaps only by some weaker script writing and leaning far too heavily on Alien, attempting to recreate or mirror key scenes from its predecessor, but make them slightly different.

Well worth the watch, and additionally entertaining for me, as I could name almost all the locations in which the film had clearly been shot!

Prometheus for the record is not a prequel, but it's great in that it both answers a lot of questions about the Alien universe, and creates twice as many new ones.

You say its not a prequel, some say its a prequel, while others say its a spiritual prequel. What the fuck is it :mad:

Anyway glad to hear its a good film, can't wait for the 8th.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Iron Sky - 4/10

Silly, crappy and (supposedly) satirical comedy about nazis still on the moon and about to launch an all out attack on earth.
The story is ridiculous but some of the steampunky art direction is actually quite well realized.
Anyone giving this a higher score is going to get a boot up their arse.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I thought Iron Sky was pretty solid, especially for a $60,000 budget - but then I went to the cinemaboth wanting and expecting some completely ridiculous nonsense :p

same universe but not a direct prequel

Yup. The events all take place before Alien, but they are not strictly directly related.

Last edited: