UE3 - UT3 Looking for help with Themed Content Pack...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AcidSphinx

Feb 16, 2008
Near Byron Bay Australia
In Brief
Income and Revenue: Through Donation, if any...
Positions Most Urgent:
PHP Web Page Designer
Must have experience with MySQL and PHP, I would like this person to basically make a few custom web pages. (May also contain deisgn aspects, rather than just following instructions ;))

Last edited:

AcidSphinx

Feb 16, 2008
Near Byron Bay Australia
Thats what I said this mornining...

Hello, I am currently working on a few things alone, I can do this project this way, by myself, but in the interest of doing a better job at it, I would like to invite other people to jump on in, and help make this little content pack I am working on for UT3.
The idea has been tumbling around for a while. When I first came here I started a thread about a DeathMatch level I wanted to do, it was poorly structured from the word go, and I had no plan or guide to follow, I quickly got to a point with it where I thought it wasn't really going to be something that I would enjoy.
I PM'd a few people on this forum about joining there projects, but I didn't get any responses.
Eventually I found the IRC channels, and met some people there, one of whom (Wormbo) got me working on BuFs wiki, I started with a clear idea in my head of what I wanted to achieve there, and made a little sub-section in the wiki orientated around the project I had began.
It was another DeathMatch level, but had a clear and concise outline on what the map was supposed to be and what it was not.
I've been buisy writing tutorials orientated so far around the creation of custom content which is/was to be imported into the level, each peice of content I was doing I had a section dedicated to how I made it.
Then the idea hit me, since the map I was making was orientated around lots of custom content, based on a particular theme, I decided to shift my focus a little, the DeathMatch map would still be built, but I was now more interested in making a content pack with much more included than just what was in the map.
Anyhow, in the interest of making sure the content pack is fairly robust, I am inviting anyone interested in making stuff to join me.
The theme orientates around volcanic, but not so much the fiery lava theme, more around the brimstone/sulphurous styled terrains, I have been thinking about making some 3D models for props to go with the theme, such as massive distant volcanoes beyond the edge of the map, for use with enhancing skyboxes over the past few hours, and will probably comence work on that soon.
The primary purpose behind this content pack is so that others can use it to make entire levels based in this theme, rather than just using the content made in the DeathMatch level I am doing.
Keep in mind I only started this project about 3 or 4 days ago, I have been buisy documenting most of what I have done on the wiki, and I have been moving slowly but steadily through it.
All in all, I am expecting this project to be fairly slow paced, even with dedicated few working on it.
The link to the section on the wiki can be found here.
Reply to this thread with questions or a keen interest in the project, or feel free to PM if you'd rather not talk here.

P.S. Be aware, there will be quality assurance in the final mod output of this pack, the amount of time you put into the content will not matter one bit in this respect, your content will still be available for download from the central download bank, but the final pack will only contain the best of what is made.
Also:
* Anyone is welcome to contribute, even if we all think it is crap, it might just fit a niche that someone is looking for.
* I want things that fit with the theme, ie. exterior volcanic, with little fire or lava. Even if you think those computer panels and nice sliding doors would be good incase someone wants to build a bunker in the map, that is not what this pack is for.
* If you would like to start a differently themed content pack, please feel free to discuss it with me also, not sure what opinions are on my efforts, but, provided there is enough content being produced to warrant it becoming a pack, I personally don't care that you would want to choose a different theme, the point to this post is that one person can only do so much alone, with a few people working on making this pack bigger at least, gives me/you/us/them a lot more options.
* Be prepared, if you aren't going to document how you have made what you have, then I may have to move the bulk of this project out of the wiki, and seek some other hosting option. A lot of variables remain, but things will fall into place, and will not change.

Thats what I said this morning.
Anyhow, since it is becoming apparent I am going to need my own hosting, applications are on a semi-freeze atm.
I am still willing to discuss any ideas people have with the threads topic, but in the light of what has been said today somethings have changed.
For starters, the fact that I will be hosting a web page solely devoted to this project means that I will be looking for ideas for other themes now, and possibly having a few of them available, this is also putting me under a bit more pressure to lift up my work speed.
The tutorials and documentation of how the content was made is no longer a high priority, though Wormbo would love people to add this kind of stuff to the BuF Wiki, it will no longer be a requirement of adding content to what now will be a set of packs.
One other aspect has also cropped up, I have done very little PHP, tbh I have done more ASP than PHP, and the amount of ASP I have done is trivial, if anyone would like to do things in the way of making a better web page, your more than welcome. (I can follow detailed instructions with PHP, but I lack knowledge and experience in that area to - well - say be original in what I do).
Content can include anything, from 2D Textures, to 3D Models, to original audio files that match the theme, etc.... I thought this point was obvious, but then thought I should clarify. Each Item however should be a compleate entity neatly packaged and show cased in a tiny published show case level. Example
I'll try to keep this post updated with other changes as they become noted.

Last edited:

AcidSphinx

Feb 16, 2008
Near Byron Bay Australia
Project News and Updates

29th Feb 2008 Friday 18:45 GMT+11 : The project has been reopened, though I'm not certain how it will go, the web page had never been taken down, despite all the B$ that has been floating around. A proper hosted site should be available in less than a week.

25th Feb 2008 Monady 0:45 GMT+11 : Web hosting should be up by the 6th of March for the web site.

24th Feb 2008 Sunday 22:30 GMT+11 : I have given this project a name CTCPT, Community Themed Content Pack Team, which, lol, consist of a one member team. I put up a temporary forum, which I am still mucking around with, when it is looking useable, I'll get the hosting I mentioned, and upload it, but for the moment, a temporary url is http://ctcpt.servegame.com/. Since I havn't got a domain name yet, the final url will probably be quite different, though along the same lines.
One other note is that the FTP of the url is afaik not working, and will require some research into the ftp server software I am hosting on my home PC. The page is generic, and still needs a lot of work, and I'm not spending much time on it. Got beter things to do atm.

Last edited:

AcidSphinx

Feb 16, 2008
Near Byron Bay Australia
***PROJECT RE-OPENED***

Due to the fact that I owe Epic an apology for what was previously written here, I have removed what I said, if you want to know what I had typed read down, it's been quoted, and even the reasons for it are fairly well covered in the posts below.
Despite the fact that this has had a rocky start, I do intend on giving it a solid attempt, mainly for the fact that there seems to be a lot of call for custom content.
My apology to Epic is a simple sorry - I really should just STFU sometimes and deal with my own problems insted of all the screaming and shouting (damn I wish I saw it that way all the time :()

Last edited:

Leonardo

Old fart on top the mountain.....
25th Feb 2008 Monady 0:45 GMT+11 : Web hosting should be up by the 6th of March for the web site.

24th Feb 2008 Sunday 22:30 GMT+11 : I have given this project a name CTCPT, Community Themed Content Pack Team, which, lol, consist of a one member team. I put up a temporary forum, which I am still mucking around with, when it is looking useable, I'll get the hosting I mentioned, and upload it, but for the moment, a temporary url is http://ctcpt.servegame.com/. Since I havn't got a domain name yet, the final url will probably be quite different, though along the same lines.
One other note is that the FTP of the url is afaik not working, and will require some research into the ftp server software I am hosting on my home PC. The page is generic, and still needs a lot of work, and I'm not spending much time on it. Got beter things to do atm.

THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN CLOSED, AND I AM LEAVING THE UT3 MODDING SCENE.

Unfortunately, early this morning I was insulted by Epic administrators, and it was revealed to me the terms and conditions that are implied by their behaviour towards me are not adequate working conditions to satisfy my efforts towards helping improve their otherwise great game.
The implications of their actions have led me to believe that my conditions with in the community will be severely adverse. It became apparent that while I have been making a lot of effort towards helping the community, I will be unable to express my self nor my opinions in public, this compounded by the fact that I am nothing more than a volunteer, makes me feel that this arrangement is not what I consider as satisfactory, I have even reflected that this situation could be observed as STFU, make stuff, and maybe, if we like it we'll be your friend, but only if you STFU. The whole feel of slave labor started kicking in when I went back to my work after the event, and in the end I could stand doing this for them no more.
I have met some wonderfull people here during my short visit, friendly, funny and willing to help me understand how these things work, but all this fell by the way side with the treatment I was given.
Some of the people I have met (particularily here at BuF) have been great, and I would like to keep in touch. But all my content that I make now will only be released in its raw form (such as texture packs, and static meshes.ase), and will be commercial and licensed, and distributed outside of the confines of UT3, I'm not doing this to make money, or even out of spite towards Epic, I just don't see why I should bust my guts every spare minute doing something I enjoy, when the guys who expect those kinds of conditions from people who volunter their time. I am not a frikin employee, how dare they do that.
My opinions of Epic really fell in the waste basket. I'm sorry, but the arrangement is over, I will continue my work outside of the community at large.

WOW talk about Déjà vu, Welcome back Maagnus2k7 / AI137 / Vincent79 / Klasnic_E & whatever type of persona you're donning on nowdays. I apologize for my post gentlemen. But being someone who had direct dealings with this person? I can almost guarntee we're looking at another sham/scam. Guy comes in wanting to do this or that map pack doesn't get want he wants has total cow and over reacts about it. Also came on posing as 3 maybe even as 5 people. Now maybe 6 was involved supposedly UTMP ValdeGames TCMP UCMP which we all know was b/s.

Last edited:

Leonardo

You remember Vincent79 don't you ? He was at the atari forums as well before the "Epic" move of "07" with promises of grandure and fame for all involvd in the UTMP Project him and his 4 to 5 other personalties he'd switch to from time to time. UTMP Leader and Founder Email:Vincent_7959@yahoo.com Author of DM-UTMP-Inspiron , DM-UTMP-AmonRa - LIE , DM-UTMP-LoadingDocks47 LIE (it was done by Jrubzjeknf ) . Models: M16 - LIE and al lcaught in them too by myself and the team that was to become UTMP and actually became GTSCP (Which is still not out yet -_-' ) but we did come togther on this proved him out to be fake and a scam artist. My opinion is after seeing this person making these types of posts? The behavior and post type reactions all smell of that same person from back then.

Last edited:

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Ahahaha. You need a PHP web designer?

You do realize: I gave you a site before. You didn't know how to use anything outside of the "ban" control.

My opinions of Epic really fell in the waste basket. I'm sorry, but the arrangement is over, I will continue my work outside of the community at large.

Isn't that like saying, "Hi, my name is Klasnic_E, and I want the whole world to pity me"? Maybe I'm just interpreting it differently, and I guess it would be kind of a surprise of other people on BeyondUnreal also just so happened to express the same interpretation as I did? I mean, no hard feelings, I'm just trying to get what and moreover, why you're posting...

You remember Vincent79 don't you ? He was at the atari forums as well before the "Epic" move of "07" with promises of grandure and fame for all involvd in the UTMP Project him and his 4 to 5 other personalties he'd switch to from time to time. UTMP Leader and Founder Email:Vincent_7959@yahoo.com Author of DM-UTMP-Inspiron , DM-UTMP-AmonRa - LIE , DM-UTMP-LoadingDocks47 LIE (it was done by Jrubzjeknf ) . Models: M16 - LIE and al lcaught in them too by myself and the team that was to become UTMP and actually became GTSCP (Which is still not out yet -_-' ) but we did come togther on this proved him out to be fake and a scam artist. My opinion is after seeing this person making these types of posts? The behavior and post type reactions all smell of that same person from back then.

Hm..... Gee, that sounds awfully familiar. O__O

Last edited:

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Why would someone who's --

(1) plagiarsed the work of others :mad:
(2) admitted to stealing UT2004 [possibly UT3 too] :mad:
(3) flamed at people to a point that Epic has to respond via legal threats :eek:
(4) attempt to defend himself by scapegoating others :mad:
(5) having virtually no knowledge of mapping/scripting, or even how to run website controls on a pre-defined PHP site design (PHPNuke) and trying to start a mod :lol:
(6) have multiple screen names on the same IP address, and then saying that his brother uses the same computer, then the dad, then the uncle, then the OTHER uncle, then the sister, then ANOTHER mysterious uncle, and that's why he has multiple screen names :eek:

-- continue to come back to the forums to start mods that he knows (or at least, WE know) are doomed to failure -- ahead of time? And why make us even angrier? Waste of your time, and now a waste of mine and everyone else on this forum. People are getting a laugh reading your posts, so why give them the pleasure of enjoying mine too?

I'll say this in the nicest way possible: Go someplace else where someone else cares. You're not going to get any pity here, especially when you can't even handle yourself.

Already in the third post, and you've already pissed off 3 people before I even got to this thread, not to mention Epic Inc. Nice going. :rolleyes:

:lock:

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I'm pretty sure they were aware already. They'll keep a list of offenders to watch out for, which probably explains his anti-Epic sentiments already. They'll have already wopped him.

Leonardo

Yea, he was a really piece of work back then as well but to actually come back here and try again under a diffrent name and play it off like no one knew him and think he could get away with it? LOL that in itself was the hilarous part. Heh I'd have to say if BU had a end of the year X-mas party? THIS would be one the threads talked about. XD

really "classic" part

Vincent79 has had what 2 yrs to learn some of that stuff on his own all this time. Even the premade css layouts as pointed out yesterday. Albiet I'm a lil guilty of it myself, but I at least put forth an effort to at least trrrrrrrrry! to learn and understand so I'm not dependant on someone else to do it for me. Drill Sargent always screamed as us "DO NOT RELY ON OTHERS WHAT YOU YOURSELF CANNOT DO! ......MAGGOT" Drop and gimme 50X.Thats why its called a "TEAM" Effort, no "I" in team.

Last edited:

AcidSphinx

Feb 16, 2008
Near Byron Bay Australia
Why would someone who's --

(1) plagiarsed the work of others
(2) admitted to stealing UT2004 [possibly UT3 too]
(3) flamed at people to a point that Epic has to respond via legal threats
(4) attempt to defend himself by scapegoating others
(5) having virtually no knowledge of mapping/scripting, or even how to run website controls on a pre-defined PHP site design (PHPNuke) and trying to start a mod
(6) have multiple screen names on the same IP address, and then saying that his brother uses the same computer, then the dad, then the uncle, then the OTHER uncle, then the sister, then ANOTHER mysterious uncle, and that's why he has multiple screen names
There some pretty strong acusations mate, since you got some proof of all this, I'd like to see you put your money where your mouth is and start letting a few other people know how you found out more about me than I ever knew (must be getting really forgetfull lately).

As for my post, I had good reason to be pissed with the Epic Forum Admins that day, they had deleted one of my posts, and I hadn't broken any forum rules.
Now maybe it was out of place, and possibly didn't belong on their forums, maybe it was even a bit nutty, and eccentric too, and when I was over it, I had decided it was there forum anyhow.
So I owe Epic an apology for the post above, but hey, it's my time, if I don't feel like making maps/mods for UT3 thats my buisiness.
Since only one person had actually responded to this thread before I went off the deep end, I really only owe one person an apology for closing this down (Sorry Dox, never heard a word from you, and I hope your not to pissed 'bout all this).
My actions were a little over the top, but to be honest, I wasn't breaking any laws, and in my country - it is a criminal offence to slander someone with no proof, so I'll be waiting too see what you come up with here ;)

Leonardo

Ok, I'm editting this post. I did get a PM from this person. I will apologize again for this. I will let AcidSphinx explain his case and then we can get back on with our lives as they were.

AcidSphinx has the floor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.