Mastering of classes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gumby

Pretty in Pink!
Feb 29, 2004
A long long way from home...
[tH]Angelus said:

I play ranger mainly with sensitivity of 3.0 and my ping rarely goes below 100...
1.4 :D Dosn't really make a difference, mouse sens that is.

This looks like another my class is better than your class thread... but grenades > all :D :p

My car's better than your car :D

PETsnake

www.p3t.org bitch
Feb 25, 2004
a couple of things -

I started as tech back in the demo of u2xmp, and dreamed of that day my computer would have enough fps to let me play ranger, once i built a gaming box, i just played the hell out of ranger for months.

Ranger does tend to draw out the 'die-hard' psuedo-obsessed gamers due to its characteristics. It requires the highest level of skill in reguards to movement and natural reaction time for weapons. It's the fastest class and natural skill is directly reflected by the single point precision it requires. It is also a class that I think takes more time to master then the others. Phat made some good points about the transfer of ability betweeen the classes, but after watching the veterans of xmp change class, i think I'm believing more strongly in the fact that, if you're sick at ranger, you're going to be top notch at the other classes.

on a side note, i remember playing with [pet]puppy, who we all know is gunner 99.99999% of the time. we were in this server and there was like 3 minutes left on garden. he was of course playing defense as gunner, and i was about to leave the base in a raptor. i told him to spawn as a ranger, as we needed to get the last 2 arties asap. after some denial, he agreed, and we raided the arties and won the game. afterwards he was like, "that was scary, I"m never doing that again". This just goes to show that some classes just might not be someone's cup of tea, that doesn't mean they couldn't be masters in it if they wanted to.

fireball

Reach out and torch someone
General comment, though partially aimed at snake's comment about puppy -

Rangers transferring to other classes carry two skills: hitscan aim and movement. Neither is entirely useful to a gunner (he moves far too differently from a ranger to be of help), but they do assist techs (if you can train a pistol on someone's head, that AR sure looks appetizing).
Techs bring general aiming (hitscan, delayed, and arc - shotgun primary, shotgun secondary, and gas/emp respectively) and the ability to dodge. Note, not the same as Ranger movement - Rangers know how to get between two places frighteningly fast. Techs are better at dodging incoming fire since they tend to be "omfg gasspammer kill" targets, though I guess not as much now. As such they can be good rangers with practice, and good gunners as well since they have weapon skill.
Gunners have awesome prediction skills. That's about it. Some have very good movement but most gunner movements seem the same (then again, I rarely played the "ownage" gunners, but on the same note they're rare anyway). They're decent techs, but they have to relearn ranger aiming from scratch. That doesn't mean they still can't dodgejump like a mofo though.

Skipr

Apr 1, 2004
Oh, i can chime in here.

Back when I first started U2XMP way back when, I was a ranger, a real good one too. Snipe people in the air, blah blah blah. Then I took a leave of absense for like 3 months and then came back and tried ranger again. I totally sucked and every ranger in my clan, alpha, was better. So then I decided I will try a gunner. Wow, it was great. I could kill people a lot better now after a few daysthat I switched since I lost my "ranger skills" for pinpoint shots. I still retained the movement. If anyone sees me play, I can still dodge shots real well by strafe dodging back and forth and timing shots and can still jump and things. I think being a ranger helped me with movements the most, but shooting wise it didn't help me at all with being a gunner. First day or two, my rockets were all over the place (they still are, haha) and I couldnt predict anything at all. But after practice you learn the velocity of the rockets, you learn how classes move generally and have a good idea where and when to shoot and when to jump to get the headshots; ranger doesn't help with that. They dont need to get veritcal distance for better shots at all, they are horizontal people.

Ok, thats my 2 cents, bedtime!

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
fireball said:
Gunners have awesome prediction skills. That's about it. Some have very good movement but most gunner movements seem the same (then again, I rarely played the "ownage" gunners, but on the same note they're rare anyway). They're decent techs, but they have to relearn ranger aiming from scratch. That doesn't mean they still can't dodgejump like a mofo though.

I would say the top gunner have as good movement as the top rangers. A ranger is so fast they can get by with avarage movement, but a gunner need to be very good or everyone will leave him standing.

fireball

Reach out and torch someone
Naib said:
I would say the top gunner have as good movement as the top rangers. A ranger is so fast they can get by with avarage movement, but a gunner need to be very good or everyone will leave him standing.
Yeah, though as I said, I never really got to play with the "uber" gunners. I'll take your word on that one.

dutch_gecko

Think Pink
Jun 16, 2004
www.dutch-gecko.co.uk
I dodge more as a gunner than as a tech. Not sure why.

ºUaKºFactis said:
Well said... however I would have to say (As someone who plays with a consistant ping of around 100 f6) that lower pings best suit the ranger class. Decreased lead time is always extremely helpfull with hitscan weapons (sniper lol) and gerenally people that flock to such weapons are lower pingers. That having been said, I find that if I adjust my sensativity much lower I can easily hit with a ranger... just have to correctly compensate for lag. I don't like playing ranger though, and find that most gunners in general do not like playing that class either.
Wow... did you sign up just to respond to my post? :shy: Welcome to BUF. BTW, www.deesidetruffles.co.uk are better :D

[DF]phalanx

bgutblower=true
Aug 15, 2002
manchester uk
Visit site
hmm i have been known to go to ranger on kaminari and do an arti run under the cover of darkness to stop a defeat it works too unless i get seen then i'm screwed :/ i have also been known to hit the occasional headshot side on no scope good distance on a jumping ranger for some bizzare reason :/ maybe it is ping i dunno but i still prefer gunner