What are your views / thoughts about smokers?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Donna Summer died yesterday of lung cancer. Her family insists she did not smoke. I had read somewhere else that she blamed it on the 9/11 dust from when the towers came down.

I started smoking when I was about 14 or so. I'm 44 now and just quit smoking the week of the last Super Bowl. I smoked for 30 years. Quitting was certainly the hardest thing I have ever done. I don't feel "much" healthier either. I don't cough as much though. I have more money. My wife no longer complains that I smell like smoke. I gained a ton of weight. I think at my worst I was at 6 ft. tall and 225 lbs. I recently lost about 10 so I'm now weighing at about 215 pounds.

I know several former smokers who are far worse than the never-smoked non-smokers. I hope not to be like them. Right now, smoke still smells real good to me. I don't mind people smoking around me especially if I'm outside. I never smoked in my house ever since I started dating my wife. She is allergic to smoke big-time so I have smoked outside for the last 16 years or so.

So... Do you smoke? Do you hate smokers? Are you a former smoker who hates smokers? If you smoke, what do you smoke and how often? I was a pack a day of Marlboro Light 100's. Right now they are about $5.50 USD per pack.

Last edited:

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
they're annoying and i hate having to melee attack them off my friends

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
It isn't a habit I ever picked up and I don't care to be around it personally. However, I don't begrudge anyone their opportunity to inhale tobacco smoke.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
It isn't a habit I ever picked up and I don't care to be around it personally. However, I don't begrudge anyone their opportunity to inhale tobacco smoke.
Fair comment.

It's bad for your health and, obviously, worth avoiding but I wouldn't start preaching my own angle at people if they choose to smoke.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
I've been a smoker for a few years now. I started to help relieve stress from work, and, contrary to studies, it does help me with my TMJ Disorder (given that it's directly related to my stress).

I'm planning on quitting, most likely sometime after I finish recording the new album. I have a great new job that's much lower on the stress factor (tip: NEVER work for the newspaper industry, in any capacity).

I do enjoy it, though, regardless of the criticism I get from non-smokers. It really does help me to relax. I'm also still fairly healthy; I started jogging again, and feel great. My knees give me problems before my lungs do. I can also belt out powerful vocals and play harmonica without fail.

When I quit, I'm going to dread the weight gain. I'm not fat by any stretch of the imagination; I weigh 165lbs right now. I just don't want my belly to get any bigger.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
I personally don't smoke, I tried a few cigarettes and cigars back as a teenager, just to see what the fuss is about. I personally don't see the point in partaking in an activity that is the number one preventable cause of death (now debatable because of the obesity epidemic), while doing little for me in return.

But as a personal choice, I generally don't care if you smoke or not. As long as it doesn't affect my or others health or well-being (second hand smoke, higher healthcare costs, etc), I don't care what your reasons are. We all have our vices.

Oh, and all the ladies out there: Smoking doesn't make you look hot. Seriously. It is a turn off.

To Thrash, it sucks that you have/had to use something that substitutes jaw pain with something that can cause tooth decay.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Smoking is dumb. If you smoke you are dumb. Don't fucking smoke around me. Assholes.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
I used to smoke. To be honest, I enjoyed it, but not as much as I enjoy living and breathing fresh air. So I quit.

I just recently quit smoking pot due to it giving me headaches. Also, something I'm not too fond of any more.

But if you smoke, that's your own problem to deal with. Just don't do it around kids. I know somebody who smokes in her house, and has for her sons entire life (he's 10 BTW). Hmmm.... I wonder why he has breathing problems. Totally genetic, right?

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I smoke pot sometimes. and the occasional cigar.
and half the time I smoke pot it is vaporized so I'm not really smoking.

I certainly have no problem with people who smoke.
but I tend to avoid them. most of my friends are non-smokers. I could never date a girl who smoked.

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
not keen on it or smokers.

But, i guess i have been very lucky... my Brigi was a smoker but by being around me she was able to give it up. :)

Smoking should be something smokers can do far away from me :)

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
my post doesn't make any sense now that I read it.

the smokers I "avoid" are tobacco smokers. I don't use tobacco at all aside from a few cigars a year. otherwise I'm down with pot smokers of course. in general they actually tend to be cleaner than cigarette smokers, too. and anyone who chews tobacco I have a hard time taking seriously. it seems like the dirtiest old habit.

cigarettes are one thing.
but chew and having to spit every 5 minutes? wow lol... I'll never understand it.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Donna Summer died yesterday of lung cancer. Her family insists she did not smoke. I had read somewhere else that she blamed it on the 9/11 dust from when the towers came down.

I started smoking when I was about 14 or so. I'm 44 now and just quit smoking the week of the last Super Bowl. I smoked for 30 years. Quitting was certainly the hardest thing I have ever done. I don't feel "much" healthier either. I don't cough as much though. I have more money. My wife no longer complains that I smell like smoke. I gained a ton of weight. I think at my worst I was at 6 ft. tall and 225 lbs. I recently lost about 10 so I'm now weighing at about 215 pounds.

I know several former smokers who are the worse than non-smokers. I hope not to be like them. Right now, smoke still smells real good to me. I don't mind people smoking around me especially if I'm outside. I never smoked in my house ever since I started dating my wife. She is allergic to smoke big-time so I have smoked outside for the last 16 years or so.

So... Do you smoke? Do you hate smokers? Are you a former smoker who hates smokers? If you smoke, what do you smoke and how often? I was a pack a day of Marlboro Light 100's. Right now they are about $5.50 per pack.

I personally am extremely allergic to nicotine(something in cigarette smoke anyway), like asthma attack at small amounts (just the fumes on a person) and anaphylactic shock and epipen time + hospital trip if I accidentally inhale the smoke directly exhaled by some one).

I have to hold my breathe entering and exiting stores. I have too watch ashtrays for smoldering butts. My wife used to smoke the occasional cigarette before we were married, she knew of the allergy but I guess didn't realize the severity, it had been several hours even since she had shared a smoke with her sister and all she did was give me a rather lingering kiss, my tongue and throat started to swell in seconds I hit the inhaler and then the epipen and blacked out and apparently hit the floor cause I woke up 2 days later in the hospital with a very sore head.

All that said... I don't begrudge people a smoke, just please don't do it around me. I do however like to be annoying to smokers and point out how rich they would be if they just took that cost and channeled it into a mutual fund or money marketing account and let it sit till retirement.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
"Man, this sh!t will eat me from the inside out, but look at me: I'm holding a little piece of paper that's wrapping narcotics and chemical crap and from time to time, I take it to my mouth and inhale it to spew smoke! I look so cool..."

Oh, and all the ladies out there: Smoking doesn't make you look hot. Seriously. It is a turn off.

During my college days, I knew a couple of chicks not even 18 and their faces looked like the one in the signature of the guy I'm quoting. Smoking f*cks you up like that.