Assault or Duel?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sportaçus

Protecting the citizens of Lazytown.
Feb 17, 2009
I pretty much liked assualt in UT2k4 and the trials that came with it. I really never could understand how to do the trials, but it was still fun. The UT3 duel, I believe is useless. Why have a Duel gametype when you can just set up a Deathmatch server like it? I mean i really don't see people on the duel servers but there are plenty of them out there.

So give me your thoughts.
Assualt or Duel?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
At least Duel isn't broken by design ...

Heck ... if someone were to design a trial-gametype that had a que-ing (sp?) system like Duel then it might work.
Anything else is doomed to fail.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Neither of them. I generally never play 1vs1 matches. Assault? Hated it. Too much exploitable.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
I agree that maybe the Duel gametype wasnt needed, but considering the number of people who supposedly play this game, even if we had assault you'd have a bunch of empty servers.

The thing about the Duel gametype is that is now sets a standard configuration of mutators etc used for 1v1. In Ut99 there was no such thing, and the result was the use of the no powerup mutator (which I preferred btw). This not only turned off the amp, but the belt and vials also. It's a pretty significant difference, but by Epic making this gametype (which probably didn't take much at all, other than a little refining of the DM/TDM gametype) they in effect set a standard for all to follow.

You're post seems like more of a complaint that Epic spent the time to make the Duel gametype, yet ignored Assault. The Duel gametype most likely isn't much more than an extension of TDM/DM, which they already had. Assault would have taken a lot more coding and bug testing, not to mention some support would have had to be in the editor for objectives etc. Apples and Oranges man, Apples and Oranges...

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Assault was best perhaps in original UT with its custom maps actually(and the assault bonuspack)..the stock maps were ridiculously easy to beat if you look back.

Sportaçus

Protecting the citizens of Lazytown.
Feb 17, 2009
I'm not trying to complain. I just think that assault servers would have way more people on it than duel servers. There were tons of assault servers with all these custom mods and what not.
They should have learned from ut2k3 and ut2k4.:eek:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Come on, Duel is like Deathmatch with player limit 2. Assault is the most realistic gametype developed for FPS.

akstylish

Keyboard Crasha
Jan 22, 2008
Epic should've made assault gametype and used the maps for campaign mode. It would've been much better than FLaGs.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Just because I haven't played it in ages. Yes, it is Team Deathmatch with NoWeaponsStay and player limit 2. 1 vs 1 vs 1 is much more fun. 1 vs 1 makes it very pro thou. Assault would still have the highest fun factor. You sound like an Epic employee which don't want to develop a complex gametype because previous games have had the same. Now, back to my gaming session.

In Duel you have item control and complete focus on one single opponent. Yes it's a huge difference between playing them, but Deathmatch and Duel are scripted in very similar ways.

One of the best Duel maps ever made is Campgrounds from Quake III Arena. Also to be found for Quake 4, in Quake Live and in some of my classic deathmatch map packs. I play it to warm up because it got about everything you need to consider. Trick jumping, items, powerups and all standard weapons.

Last edited:

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
1 v 1 blows IMO and is very little fun compared to the fracas that is a regular match. I wish all the FPS "pro" players wouldn't look down so much on other game modes, then maybe we could get FPS tournaments that are more interesting than people jumping all over a map and sniping people from 1000 feet away.

And anyway, Assault was wicked fun; I remember hearing how people bought UT99 just for Overlord. God what a great map that was :D I find it interesting that they didn't choose to include it, after the uproar that it wasn't in UT2k3 and all the adoring fans that loved them for putting it in 2k4. I know they tried to combine it with Onslaught to make Warfare but we all saw how well that panned out.