UE1 - UT Recompiling U4eNWS.u from U4e Fortress - Missing dependencies?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

lolwhat

Aug 19, 2013
Ok, I randomly played U4eF with some friends on LAN after so many years, and we had a blast doing it. But there's a few minor things that could be tweaked to make things even more fun. As a starting point, I hunted down the file responsible for the wizard class (and magic system in general), U4eNWS.u. The code itself is easy to extract, but when I tried to recompile it as a test... things didn't go so well.

Since it seems the mod doesn't come with any sort of list of dependencies or a make file or anything like that, everytime I ran into an error trying to recompile U4eNWS (using WOTgreal), I simply added the .u file holding that missing file to the edit packages list. Eventually, although with some tedious searching, I managed to get U4eNWS to compile (without any modifications). It still has 17 warnings concerned missing textures that I simply cannot find anywhere, but they are quite limited in scope (half of them are icons, others in very specific uses), so I tried to playtest.

However, it seems much more is missing than ucc is telling me. For instance, the magic missile projectile doesn't appear at all, although it still impacts (displaying an explosion) and deals damage to enemies. Hands don't perform the correct casting animation. Stuff like that. When I look at magic missile, for instance, it wants UnrealI.Effects.gbProj0 through gbProj5... But I have that UnrealI.u file in my edit packages list. The old version of U4eNWS.u works fine, displaying the magic missile, while my newly compiled version does not. Somewhere things aren't getting linked up, and I have no idea why.

Is this a general newbie error? How are you supposed to get all of the dependencies setup for a .u file?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Exporting source code actually doesn't give you the original sources. Defaultproperties are potentially different, as they are generated on export. Also, source code can contain import directives that need to be satisfied, and not all imported resources can be exported to the same format the import used.

In fact, without permission of the original author you are not supposed to mess with a mod.