Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Sunshine 9/10
Wow. The mood in this movie is perfect. The sense of claustrophobia, of tension, of the lingering doubt in the characters under the desire to get the job done is simply phenomenal. This isn't a perfect movie but it's a very, very good one. Danny Boyle, for all of the high concept of the plots makes movies about people and I think this is another fantastic example of who humanity is, the highs and lows and asides and the triumphant, if oft broken, spirit.

~Jason

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
More Korean goodness!

A Bittersweet Life - 7.8/10

Pretty damn sweet revenge flick, with stylish cinematography, and friggin awesome fight sequences. Very enjoyable, just don't expect another Oldboy. It's actually more accessible than Oldboy though.

SnaKe-Fu

Thread Killer.
Dec 26, 2000
California
www.7igaming.com
Eastern Promises. I found it to be very easy to see through the identity of a certain characters from early on, but despite that flaw and a little illogical behaviour by some of the characters (see spoilers), it was still entertaining. I especially liked the rare yet graphic violence as well as Armin Mueller-Stahl's performance. As good as American Gangster - 8/10.

Why didn't Nikolai expect that Semyon would have the baby abducted? Why did Semyon only order the killing of Anna's uncle and not of Anna herself, as she clearly knew too much?

Just finished this movie as well. Would give it a 7/10. It was a pretty good story and the action/violence was pretty well done. The ink was very interesting as well.

I don't know why he didn't think of it lol... Maybe he had to being king o his mind and wasnt thinking of it. I hate how it ends abruptly like that though.

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
Sweeney Todd - 7.5/10

Would have been an 8 'cept for the lack of closure at ending...

One assumes the daughter and the boy gain their freedom?

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Lady Vengeance - 7.5/10 (so beautifully artistic, AMAZING musical score)
I watched it last night. 7.5 sounds reasonable. I agree about the musical score. It was somewhat unexpected to hear western classical music in that context but it did work.

The movie isn't entirely an easy watch and there were a few scenes where I felt that I'd got the message and wished the director would move on but the unfolding of the plan and (especially early on) the movement between now and memory made it exceedingly watchable.

Serenity 7.5/10

Very enjoyable cinematic follow-up to the late, lamented Firefly TV series.

Impressively manages to cram about 1 1/3 of a season's worth of plot and backstory into the running time without too much damage.

Chiwetel Ejiofor plays the focus baddy to perfection aided by a series cast that were well into their characters. The action is fun and you care about the characters. Whilst it does help to have seen the TV series, it isn't essential as the script does a good job of filling in the backstory.

I suspect the presence of Unreal fans in the special effects team. The end boss battle takes place in what is DM-Deathfan and the hero leaves the central platform using what can only be described as a DM-Reconstruct effect. Either on their own I would have dismissed but together - coincidence?

TMNT (2007) - 6/10 I have no fond memories of the original TV series (too old) but I confess that I quite enjoyed this version. Certainly better than the original movie.

TRON - Probably about 9/10 for its historical importance in the development and deployment of large scale CGI. As an entertainment 6/10 if you have some knowledge of early mainframes. For the rest of us, 4/10.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
If Christopher Plummer agreed to appear then what do you expect?

Dracula 2000 2/10

Fatally handicapped by a combination of poor direction, a low-wattage Dracula, dumb script and the appearance of Christopher Plummer*, this wouldn't scare my elderly maiden aunt. Even assets such as being set in New Orleans are wasted - this could have been set anywhere.

* A talented actor but it seems that he does not know how to turn down a script.

Edit: And I forgot to mention the supremely annoying Virgin Group product placement.

Last edited:
Shoot em' up - 5/10. It was ok. Lots of killing, the french chick was hot, the whole movie was way over-the-top (which it was meant to be). In the end, it was fun, and had some funny parts.

RE: Extinction - 6/10. Not as good as the first, better than the second. Mila Jojavich has a nice body. Needs more boobs. SFX were sub-par to "ok".

The_Numberless

Iron Chef Lithuania
Jan 20, 2008
The Frozen North
Oh no, I can say plenty bad about this movie. Plot, character "development", writing, etc. It had great special effects and fights, but otherwise it blew big floppy donkey dicks.

Actually, it never blew a single big floppy donkey dick, as donkeys are unruly animals. It just blew some regular homeless guy off the street in motion-capture, and the big floppy donkey was all editted in during post-production with CGI.

That being said, my last movie I saw was Juno, and I'd give it a solid 8/10. Decent characters, had kind of a way too corny ending, but there was a definite wit about the writing.

Prior to that, it was Cloverfield, and I'd give that a 9/10, as it's one of my favorite monster movies I've ever seen, but it's not in the class of films I'd put as my 10/10 rank. It's still a damn solid movie.

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
Shoot em' up - 5/10. It was ok. Lots of killing, the french chick was hot, the whole movie was way over-the-top (which it was meant to be). In the end, it was fun, and had some funny parts.

RE: Extinction - 6/10. Not as good as the first, better than the second. Mila Jojavich has a nice body. Needs more boobs. SFX were sub-par to "ok".

I know I'm splitting hairs, but Monica Bellucci is Italian, not French. If she was French she would be super skinny, with no t!ts. Shoot 'em Up is really a satire of action films. Keeping that in mind might change your opinion of the movie.

Last edited:

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
Right. My bad. The gf said this "Shoot em' up has that really super hot french girl in it".

That's what I was going by. sorry.

no need. Just clarifying. My wife couldn't even think of who Heath Ledger was the other day, that's how clueless she is when it comes to movies, etc. I feel your pain.

SnaKe-Fu

Thread Killer.
Dec 26, 2000
California
www.7igaming.com
Rambo - 7/10

The story was okay but it's pretty simple to figure out whats going to happen. The message behind it all is pretty crazy though. The violence... oh yeah! Boom! Headshot! The violence in this movie is down right wicked sick.

Meet The Spartans -547282/10

I really don't even know what to say, other than this was the worst experience I've ever had at a cinema in my entire life...and I've seen Baby Geniuses.

Maybe I just didn't get it. Who am I to judge really, I grew up in a world where me and friends found movies like Ace Ventura funny. The best comedy I can remember from my youth was My Cousin Vinny or Ghostbusters. But this movie...man it has to be seen to be believed. It was my friend's birthday and I met up with him and his other friends at our local theater under the assumption we were going to watch Sly kill countless generic brown people in a good old American action movie like Rambo. But to my utter shock and dismay, the ticket he handed me said "Meet The Spartans". I don't know why he wanted to see this, and I don't even think he knew why. I could have sneaked out I suppose, but hey...it was my friend's birthday and I didn't want to be a dick. If I had known the movie would be...well let's not call it a movie, it was more of a sequence of "scenes". But the point is, this is perhaps the worst movie ever made in the history of film cinema. I know I know, a lot of you are going to say "But Proph! Surely you haven't seen <<Insert Random Horrible Film Infamous On Teh Internets For Being Craptastic Here>>, it can't be worse than that!" Oh how awesomely wrong you will be.

But the worst part of my experience wasn't the film itself, actually. I was in a packed audience. Every ****ing seat was filled with the same looking blond/brunette teenage girl or stupid looking teenage boy with the same haircut. Every stupid moment, which was about every second of the film, invoked laughter and outright hysteria in the crowd. I am not lying, they all stood up at the end and applauded. Clapped even. At first I thought I should administer Seppuku to myself for committing such a terrible crime against nature by just being there. But when that audience broke the sound barrier over and over with Retard Level enthusiasm I knew the future as I knew it was ****ed and I had to stay alive as long as humanely possibly so when the day came that it would be legal to open the first drive threw abortion clinic, I would be set for life. Because if the present is any indication, we will certainly need them. There's no doubts about it anymore. Kids really are getting stupider. And movie studios have proven that there are no lows they are willing to descend to get those mongoloid digits to swap green cotton for ticket paper. If my parents took me to see this when I was 12, they'd be so ashamed they would have drowned me in the bathtub and then kill themselves in a closed garage with the car on. There's really no excuse here, if you take your kid...or allow your kid...to see this movie, you are an unfit parent.

In fact, I would dare you all to watch it just so you can truly understand where I am coming from here. You will see that I am hardly exaggerating. This is only another installment of a long line of yearly parody movies that exist to plagiaries a bunch of movies from the past year and stuff them full of all the worst pieces of media **** that we all are so sick to death of already and put them all into one movie. And this is the worst one yet, although to be fair I've only seen Epic Movie and the last couple of Scary Movie sequels (don't even get me started why, it's never my call...please believe me!).

So if you really want to see exactly why the movie Idiocracy has so much truth to it, you can watch Meet The Spartans. Just do me and your fellow human being a favor, ok? If you walk out of the theater laughing and amused, please....kill yourself.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea 4/10

This one has not aged well (same age as me - gulp).

For its day though, the special effects and sets were nicely done.

The main problems lie in the utterly stupid plot premise (the Van Allen belt catches fire) and pretty hokey characterisation - men were men, women were women and Walter Pidgeon phones in his Doctor Morbius performance. If this were to be made today the run length would be a lot shorter (in dialogue terms at least).

Some of the action is good - my 7-year old was complaining that there was no action and seconds later he was behind the couch. :) - but it takes a long time to get to it.

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
In a Nuclear Missile Silo
Silent Hill: 7/10
Started off great. Was really eery, just like the games. But from basically the second appearance of Pyramid Head on, it just became a mindless gore flick.

Ultraviolet: 4/10
I am sorry, but that was just trash. Milla Jovavavawjfklajflfjasfaich can usually pull off roles like that well, but it was just stupid beyond belief. And far too much emphasis on combat.
I dunno, maybe I was spoiled by Equilibrium (and even Kill Bill), but the gun-kata sequences in that were just too unbelievable and awkward.
Plus, that movie's CGI was just horrendous. When half the movie is CGI, you at least get someone who can make a ****ing building. Every time they showed the big Cross thingie, I was not sure if the boxes outside were buildings or bundles of hay/feces.

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
Ultraviolet: 4/10
I am sorry, but that was just trash. Milla Jovavavawjfklajflfjasfaich can usually pull off roles like that well, but it was just stupid beyond belief. And far too much emphasis on combat.
I dunno, maybe I was spoiled by Equilibrium (and even Kill Bill), but the gun-kata sequences in that were just too unbelievable and awkward.
Plus, that movie's CGI was just horrendous. When half the movie is CGI, you at least get someone who can make a ****ing building. Every time they showed the big Cross thingie, I was not sure if the boxes outside were buildings or bundles of hay/feces.

I'm gonna agree with you there. The Gun Kata is a good idea, but it really wasnt needed in that film.

Meet The Spartans -547282/10

That rating is too good for it. The movie doesnt deserve to be rated. Balls of Fury is a better film, and I walked out on that.

Last edited: