UE3 - UT3 The Land of the Gun

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[RO]Jeremy

Dec 31, 2002
www.redorchestramod.com
Hello BeyondUnreal Community,

My name's Jeremy Blum, and I'm here to introduce you to a new and exciting mod. The mod is called Land of the Gun and it's a shooter taking place in a near-futuristic world of corruption and revolution. The year is 2012, the year the Mayans predicted the world is going to end, and the future of the world is entirely uncertain. The game pits rebels against authority on an international scale, starting with Harlem New York and Trenchtown Jamaica, and spreading to Europe and Asia. This is the story of the fall of Babylon.

The game has a gripping storyline and we've set out fairly simple features for a first release. Players get money over time from the dead and by completing objectives. With their money, players can go to the black market and purchase weapons, attachments, equipment, and kits. The game will be predominantly in first person but will ideally have a cover system built in. An adrenaline mode exists whereby if you get 3 kills in a row, you get extreme battlefield awareness.

Here's the first release's planned features. For more information about the below features click here.

• First Singleplayer Level
  • Four Multiplayer Gametypes in the following locations:
    • Harlem Streets
    • Trenchtown Jamaica
    • Belfast
    • Hong Kong
  • Cover is tactically simulated
  • Adrenaline kicks in at times of intense battlefield performance
  • Money is acquired from bounties and dead enemies
  • The Black Market is used to purchase new weapons, attachments, and equipment
  • The following weapons and attachments, listed by price from lowest to highest:
    • Glock 34 with purchasable attachments: High Capacity Mag, Flashlight/Laser, Silencer
    • NORINCO 1911 with purchasable attachments: Flashlight/Laser, Silencer
    • MAC-11 with purchasable attachments: High Capacity Mag, Flashlight/Laser, Silencer
    • Smith & Wesson Performance Center with purchasable attachments: Flashlight/Laser, Reflex Sight, ACOG
    • Benelli M3 with purchasable attachments: Flashlight/Laser, Reflex Sight, Silencer
    • AK Pistol with purchasable attachments: Flashlight/Laser, Reflex Sight, ACOG, Silencer
    • MP5K-PDW with purchasable attachments: Flashlight/Laser, Reflex Sight, Silencer, ACOG
    • AKM Battle Rifle with purchasable attachments: Flashlight, Reflex Sight, ACOG, Grip/Bipod, Drum Mag, Marksman Scope, Silencer
    • Bushmaster ACR with purchasable attachments: Dual-Magazines, Reflex Sight, ACOG, Marksman Scope, Silencer, Long Range Laser
    • HK 416 with purchasable attachments: Flashlight, Reflex Sight, ACOG, Grip/Bipod, Drum Mag, Marksman Scope, Silencer, Long Range Laser
    • Exhaust Sniper Rifle with purchasable attachments: Flashlight, Long Range Laser
    • Atchinson Auto-Shotgun with purchasable attachments: Flashlight/Laser, Drum Mag, Reflex Sight, High Capacity Drum Mag
  • The following kits:
    • Light Kit
    • Battle Kit
    • Support Kit

For the above features, we have pretty detailed design documents in our wiki (dev-only access), and we use trac as a project management tool to make sharing information as easy and seamless as possible. Currently trac is only open to developers and those of you who happen to read this. We are not launching the site until we have more concept art and code done, and have integrated discussion forums into trac.

Our team is shaping up nicely. I was the project lead of both Red Orchestra for UT2003/4 and Insurgency for HL2. ShadowM8, the other leader, worked on Red Orchestra with me as well, and has worked at UBI for the past several years on games such as Rainbow Six Vegas, Assassin's Creed, Naruto and Lost. We got several of the original Red Orchestra developers who like me were also too young at the time to go into the industry. A few of the Insurgency guys have come over as well, and we have several other industry guys helping out.

We're pretty serious about this project and are really excited about it. If you feel you may have something to add to our project, check out our unfilled positions. Either respond to one of the developer requests yourself, or let us know here if you may be interested. We're particularly looking for a lead coder at the moment.

We plan on working a lot on the mod over the summer, whether or not we launch the site right away, and intend on competing in the new Make Something Unreal contest.

Thanks

[RO]Jeremy

Dec 31, 2002
www.redorchestramod.com
A few notes:

1. We've removed the security certificates, sorry for that
2. ShadowM8 (the other project leader) already posted a thread here. To avoid confusion, he is referring to this project in that thread.

Thanks

esJ

Environment Artist
Yeah, using FireFox3Beta5 gives:

Code:
Secure Connection Failed

trac.landofthegun.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
The certificate is only valid for trac.insmod.net.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

[RO]Jeremy

Dec 31, 2002
www.redorchestramod.com
Yea I get the same error, but then i just press the OK button and enter it anyway. The reason that certificate error comes up is because we're using the same web server as insurgency at the moment, and something is misconfigured. We're working on resolving this asap...

esJ

Environment Artist
Yea don't mind me actually I'm just a dumbass, whereas older versions of firefox presented a popup dialog box for this, ff3beta5 has some tiny-ass hyperlink at the bottom of the page to add an exception for this site. Suffice to say, it works fine now :eek:

ShadowM8

Technical Director
Jun 11, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
Hi all,
So far we've got a great team going and the work is ramping up to full force. We are still looking for artists and programmers to jump on board.
If you're interested please drop me a pm (if you pmed Jeremy please cc me the same message)

Here's some more information about the mod in summary form.

Project one-liner.
A FPS with intense and captivating game play as well as beautiful and immersive visuals combined to give the player an amazing experience.

Story background.
In early 2012 the world economy came to a screeching halt virtually overnight. While the signs of the glooming crisis due to the depletion of natural resources have been evident years earlier the full blown consequences of it were minimized and delayed for several years via artificial influx of fiat money into the global circulation. These actions however continued to depreciate the currencies of major countries causing a global hyper inflation of mass proportions until the eventual collapse of markets.
This global collapse led to a series of nasty resource wars all over the world. The standard of living fell sharply in the developed countries plunging millions of people into poverty and despair. With the information age being as it is the people were aware of visionaries who offered the solutions to the current crisis but those solutions asked of major sacrifices on behalf of the ruling elite. This lead to the relentless crack down on the civil liberties by the governments of the world, restricting free media, movement, assembly, aggressive and disproportionate punishments for petty crimes and etc. This was the cause of the riots and the eventual rebellion around the world.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
1. I must say I'm impressed by the first post
2. I must say that I never saw another Project as closely similar as mine
3. I must admit that I know, that many ideas are coming along nicely at the same time in the world by a few people... why? ask god lol - The Project UM web site
4. I'm looking forward into this.

I didn't post here to cause any trouble, I simply post because I haven't read this Thread before I posted the Project UM Thread that I originally posted on Epic Games Forums on the first day of March. I find interesting the whole design of the mod and if you like this >>>> click here then I would be happy to have a private discussion with you.

Modif:
I took a look at the Web Site (thumbs up it's cool), I must say (fortunately) it's less similar than I thought because Project UM is a way more "sci-fie" & arcade... well I should say there are similarities but both are totally too much different to be mixed up except if there was dramatical changes in the design, but I'm still interested to know more about your Project ^^. It's pretty hard to get a great Dev Team for mods, so good luck with your project guys!

My best regards,
Khris aka Hyrage

Last edited: