DM-Comet _BETA (UT2004)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gears

Jun 20, 2003
It's been a couple years since my last map, and only the third completed. So the gist is back side of a comet, cold and blue with a nice view of Earth. Just cold enought to keep Nitrogen in liquid form. Not really sure what the surface of a comit might be like, but here is my stab at it. Of course the Liandri Corporation set up thier stuff and dug out a few caves to make it more interesting.

Item placement and bot pathing is mostly in place. There are new meshes and a few new sounds (steam). Spent a couple weeks building. There are a some gimmicks using jump pads but there is a reason for it. Main concern is item placment.

Screen shots and download here
http://www.joe-brown.net/Comet/

Jebidiah

slacker/mapper
Oct 13, 2003
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Visit site
Hehe, cool, why hasn't anyone commented on this yet? This map is pretty darn cool (cold too)! Theme is rockin! So, comments:

The "backside of a commet" look is done well with the skybox shooting "up." Very nice. I tried a map sort of like this once, and that was my biggest trouble. I might suggest putting a bit more into the skybox though, with some stars or more planets, etc. Mabye just making the earth and moon huge would give it more drama.
Steam jets everywhere look nice, I might go for a bit more contrast with these though, instead of the additive, blinding white look everywhere. Also, a visible source for the smoke, like a crack in the rock, might help. Nitpicks, though.
The way the braces hook into the walls and crack them where they hit is great! Plus, those are the coolest jump pads I have ever seen. Music is good too.

You can tell the theme impressed me, but the gameplay didn't do it quite so much. I like the layout, but just found myself wishing it was a bit smaller. Don't go making changes till you see what others say, though, I tend to favor tight maps ;) . I'm not very good at item placement, but I did think the lightning gun was a little out of place underground, and that the shock rifle was too close to the rocket launcher. Good job overall, I found no bugs, and I can't wait for the final release.

gears

Jun 20, 2003
Funny you should say it is to Large. The map was half the size it is now 8000x8000). Then the passages were to small in width. Maybe 6000x6000 would have been better. Skybox... maybe more detail there then again if you are looking up, you will be dead and comet passing that close to Earth would also mean death. Thinking of comet chunks with same texture breaking away would look better instead of BullDog dirt chucks, mesh Emitters would be better. The terrain is lacking outside, not sure what could be done out there without sacrificing Frame Rate. Add more hieght variant meybe a solution? As for the steam venting from no where... use projectors to project a cracked texture there. Also will fade steam out more, it is almost to dense and stops abruptly.

As for the game play. I'm there with ya. Instagib was kind of fun with it. Sniper rifle on bottom level was odd, guess I'm forcing people to run towards center jump pad to top mountain peak. Move rocket launcher, will do. Swap places with assult rilfe. Put damage charger in place of Shock, Shock in place of Sniper, Sniper in place of Damage Charger. That should keep Flak, Rocket and Shock speard out to corners of the map. And that put DamgeCharger in middle out in the open making anyone a taget that goes for it.

Thanks for the compliment on the jump pads. realy spent a lot of time on those tring to get all the effects to work for online play.

Well you gave me alot to look at over the next couple weeks, thank for the input so far.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I gave this one a try...

...and dude, this is a killer map. Very nice custom stuff, i really enjoy on how you made that level playable for the gameplay and enjoyable for each deatail. Talking about the stobing little lights on the floor , the Jumppads! Wow, the jump pad kick ass. The emitter trigered to it, the timing and everything. I wonder how you made them , but they don't even drop my fps at all. The optimization is very well done , and the bots are playing good. Having more heatlh pad around would be widely appreciated. The skybox is a little odd, i still like it though. I am looking for more about this! And thanks for passing by.

gears

Jun 20, 2003
Update 07/09/04 16:50 EST
This should be close to final.
-changes to terrain.
-added more bot pathing.
-moved weapon placement. power weapons are not close to eachother.
-added more details.
-more detail to skybox.
-added more health.
-updated screen shots and added more of them

still have not found a way to make bots jump to shield using lift platform for that extra needed boost.

Last edited: