President Obama does it again!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
I give up.

If you don't get it now you never will.
godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face-palm-epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1245384435.jpg

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Seriously.

Mixing cultures doesn't destroy anything. It creates new ones. Look at how awesome San Diego is. The California Burrito? Awesome. The "Surfing Lady of Guadalupe" mural, anonymously painted in Encinitas? Awesome. Mexican-American rock and roll bands like Thee Midniters? Awesome. Filipino-Mexican hybrid food? Awesome.

And finally, Clint Eastwood wearing a poncho? Awesome.

Mixing cultures totally rules; if you don't think so, go fight a holy war for 5,000 years.

There's a lot of win right there.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Seriously.

Mixing cultures doesn't destroy anything. It creates new ones. Look at how awesome San Diego is. The California Burrito? Awesome. The "Surfing Lady of Guadalupe" mural, anonymously painted in Encinitas? Awesome. Mexican-American rock and roll bands like Thee Midniters? Awesome. Filipino-Mexican hybrid food? Awesome.

And finally, Clint Eastwood wearing a poncho? Awesome.

Mixing cultures totally rules; if you don't think so, go fight a holy war for 5,000 years.

I don't always agree with you, but this is actually a decent post. Unlike most of this thread.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
I must say, that it is very VERY ironic that Firefly, being from the UK, is talking about wanting to live in a world were cultures don't mix. Isn't that the same place where the British Empire once originated, where they were so adamant to spread their influence all over the world, to make a dominion where the 'sun does not set?'

Correct me if I'm wrong, if you choose.

-----

Societies thrive and evolve when they mix. Just like biodiversity and mixing of genes. If the gene pool (society) stagnates and becomes isolated from other pools, harmful mutations arise that makes the pool wither and die off. Closed societies breed the harmful mutations of contempt, ignorance, and bigotry.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2006
I must say, that it is very VERY ironic that Firefly, being from the UK, is talking about wanting to live in a world were cultures don't mix. Isn't that the same place where the British Empire once originated, where they were so adamant to spread their influence all over the world, to make a dominion where the 'sun does not set?'

Correct me if I'm wrong, if you choose.

It's not ironic whatsoever. You're talking about a historical phase that the British gave up a long time ago. The irony is in people who decry the evils of colonialism in impinging upon other places' ethnicities and cultures, but don't seem to accept that maybe it's okay if British peoples have their own sovereign ethno-cultural state.

Societies thrive and evolve when they mix. Just like biodiversity and mixing of genes. If the gene pool (society) stagnates and becomes isolated from other pools, harmful mutations arise that makes the pool wither and die off. Closed societies breed the harmful mutations of contempt, ignorance, and bigotry.

That sure sounds good, now back it up with some factual statements instead of airy platitudes.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
I think it's interesting that women and men were so strictly divided for so long. Each had specific jobs and clothing and indeed personalities assigned to them, and if one stepped outside of these they could be bullied or jailed. As if the universe depended upon only men wearing trousers.

But of course that fell, and then there was still the matter of 'whites' and 'colored' people in the West. Each had their bathrooms and water fountains and seats on buses and so on, and people were beaten and arrested for daring to think outside of those lines. It all seemed so bloody important.

And today we have gay people who are told they can't marry, and we see how that sort of bigotry is failing too. And we have people like you. People who say that these sorts of people are not to enter places designated for other sorts of people. I think that's most interesting of all, because you have the benefit of so much history. You have been able to see example after example that you are fighting a losing battle, that your kind of thinking is the one that eventually falls and gives way to progress and enlightenment and acceptance and care for other people.

And here you are. Undaunted.

Interesting.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
800,000 people taking jobs that no American would take in any age group.

I'm sorry, but most of the illegals here are working at junky fast food jobs or in fields and I have yet to meet a product of Generation Y (the people between 16 and 25 right now) that would take either one of those jobs. So I really have a hard time sympathizing with the "send them home" people.

I do agree that just letting illegals stay is sending the wrong message. But I don't see why we can't both make it easier to come here and get these people on track to get their citizenship while they live here.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
I'm sorry, but most of the illegals here are working at junky fast food jobs or in fields and I have yet to meet a product of Generation Y (the people between 16 and 25 right now) that would take either one of those jobs. So I really have a hard time sympathizing with the "send them home" people.

I have an interesting anecdote. My father when he was young, took any job he could, which included working in a field picking tomatoes. After a long day of work, his hands would be raw, cracked, and burning from all of the acid in tomato juice. In this day of metaphorical (and literal) manicured hands, please name a young person who would be willing to do these types of jobs. I must confess that I certainly wouldn't. If we didn't have folks, illegal or not, to pick our produce, we most certainly would have a famine of epic proportions on our hands.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
I have an interesting anecdote. My father when he was young, took any job he could, which included working in a field picking tomatoes. After a long day of work, his hands would be raw, cracked, and burning from all of the acid in tomato juice. In this day of metaphorical (and literal) manicured hands, please name a young person who would be willing to do these types of jobs. I must confess that I certainly wouldn't. If we didn't have folks, illegal or not, to pick our produce, we most certainly would have a famine of epic proportions on our hands.

Well it's a matter of choices, did he have better options? And living wages.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
cryptophreak, Lizard Of Oz, hal, SlayerDragon, Zxanphorian and Sir_Brizz are for this latest of President Obama's efforts if I'm reading their responses correctly. Interesting opinions.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
cryptophreak, Lizard Of Oz, hal, SlayerDragon, Zxanphorian and Sir_Brizz are for this latest of President Obama's efforts if I'm reading their responses correctly. Interesting opinions.

It's funny because you think this is an insult. It's also funny because you think that only NOW are you competing with exploited labor. It's also funny because you are dumb.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cLxQ4B23_g[/m]
This is who I think of whenever hermskii comes up with these hilariously, and ridiculously inflammatory roflitical threads. Because hermskii reminds me of him.

Last edited:

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
@cryptophreak: I stated a fact is all. My sister lives in Austin as you do. Your response amuses me greatly and was predictable. "Now" I'll add she is a tree hugging atheist liberal who loves President Obama! That is why I thought it was interesting that you both live in Austin.

@SlayerDragon: I enjoyed your response too. Thank you! I simply stated what appeared to me to be a fact and you got all bent like cryptophreak did. LOL. Defensive much? Paranoid maybe? Do you live near Pittsburgh? Part of a union or a public education system maybe? Cryptophreak's roommate?