UE1 - UT Any Unreal Engine 1 Editor modification around?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Prob won't get answers for this, but I was wondering if anyone ever came across any type of UE1 editor enhancement, this considering the tool is extremely obnoxious to use stock/retail?

Thanks.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
By UE1 editor, do you mean UnrealEd 1 (Unreal/early UT) or the much more common UnrealEd 2.0 (for updated UT, the one everyone is familiar with).

If you're speaking of UnrealEd 1, then yes, there's UnrealEd 2.0 for UT with the patch and UnrealEd 2.1 for Unreal with OldUnreal's 227 patch. UnrealEd 2.1's maps are Unreal .unr files compatible with UT too.

If you mean UnrealEd 2.0 for UT, then there's nothing.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was referring to UT and its vanilla editor. So there's nothing, ouch.

I can't believe people were able to use this tool.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
UEd 2.0 may have some issues but it's a great tool and a reference. I find it miles ahead of equivalent editors of that time, be it Worldcraft/Hammer, Radiant and such.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
UEd 2.0 may have some issues but it's a great tool and a reference. I find it miles ahead of equivalent editors of that time, be it Worldcraft/Hammer, Radiant and such.

The process required to shape brushes alone is extremely tedious. CTRL+ALT+M1 Drag to select vertex, no face or edge selection? I was shocked to find out after a 7 year long break. I also can't imagine that being great, at least not at this current time.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
The process required to shape brushes alone is extremely tedious. CTRL+ALT+M1 Drag to select vertex, no face or edge selection? I was shocked to find out after a 7 year long break. I also can't imagine that being great, at least not at this current time.

That's because you're doing vertex editing in the 3D viewport in Camera mode.

In a 2d viewport, in Vertex edit mode, with at least one brush selected AltGr and draw a red rectangle around several vertices to select them, (with CTRL if you want to select them in several steps), then CTRL to move them around. Since you can select several vertices at once (including from several different brushes), and since the Vertex Editing mode selects all the brushes in the red rectangle you can easily move and edge or a face by selecting all its vertices at once (which should require only one selection).

It's of course far less advanced than modern editors using deformation gizmos and detecting what part you want selected simply by clicking on something, but it's hardly tedious and time-consuming. Geometry editing is only limited in the 3d Viewport, but AFAIK this wasn't an issue then, as back in the days, most building was done in the 2D viewports.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
In a 2d viewport, in Vertex edit mode, with at least one brush selected AltGr and draw a red rectangle around several vertices to select them, (with CTRL if you want to select them in several steps), then CTRL to move them around.

You just described the method I mentioned in the earlier post.

Since you can select several vertices at once (including from several different brushes), and since the Vertex Editing mode selects all the brushes in the red rectangle you can easily move and edge or a face by selecting all its vertices at once (which should require only one selection).

You will have to use the selection a lot regardless, it's the only way to edit brushes. Not to mention the vertices drag is extremely disobedient.

It's of course far less advanced than modern editors using deformation gizmos and detecting what part you want selected simply by clicking on something,

but it's hardly tedious and time-consuming.

So you admit it's far less advanced but not tedious. Alright. My only assumption is that you're far more used to old school editors than say open an extremely user friendly and advanced program such as Sketchup.

I can't go back to UT UE1ED, it's impossible.

Imagine brushing your teeth with a sock after using a toothbrush for years.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
You just described the method I mentioned in the earlier post.
My bad, I thought you were talking of the inneffectual way vertices are handled in the 3D viewport.

You will have to use the selection a lot regardless, it's the only way to edit brushes. Not to mention the vertices drag is extremely disobedient.
Very true. Vertices also have the bad habit to "snap" to place you don't want them to, and that wasn't fixed before UEd 3.0 :(

My only assumption is that you're far more used to old school editors than say open an extremely user friendly and advanced program such as Sketchup.
After using it for more than ten years, you get used to anything ;) Even if UEd was completely atrocious I'd be used to it. It was nonetheless very much praised at the time and still remains very efficient.
I've heard Sketchup is an awesome tool.

I guess the difference is that Sketchup has a much smaller learning curve before you are able to quickly do whatever you want, but indeed, most of what we used in the early 2000s look like crude stone-age tools nowadays.

I can't go back to UT UE1ED, it's impossible.
Imagine brushing your teeth with a sock after using a toothbrush for years.

On the other hand, you can always make your map in another tool then export it to a format recognized by UnrealEd. Maybe if you can find some .t3d exporter...

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
My bad, I thought you were talking of the inneffectual way vertices are handled in the 3D viewport.

LOL. You mean there's ACTUALLY an even worse method? :crysmile:

After using it for more than ten years, you get used to anything ;) Even if UEd was completely atrocious I'd be used to it. It was nonetheless very much praised at the time and still remains very efficient.
I've heard Sketchup is an awesome tool.

I guess the difference is that Sketchup has a much smaller learning curve before you are able to quickly do whatever you want, but indeed, most of what we used in the early 2000s look like crude stone-age tools nowadays.

I've been using Sketchup for 3 years, it's very hard to separate my mind from how accessible and way faster it is than any 3d modeling software on the market, perfect for urban and interior stuff. Totally out of the question for organic stuff out of the box.

On the other hand, you can always make your map in another tool then export it to a format recognized by UnrealEd. Maybe if you can find some .t3d exporter...

Which brings us to this next comment..

http://www.vgmp3.org/DLs/HSKP2UNR_v103-Sketchup_Plugin.zip

This is what I use for exporting from Sketchup.

Oh man, is this like the Sketchup -> Source Engine way of basically making 100% sure every single faces are convex and each group will be exported as actual brushes? If so, I have a loaded gun inside my mouth ready to go.

If not, I seriously need to look into it.