Stand-Alone Red Orchestra Coming to Steam in January

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SquirrelZero

Apr 5, 2003
frag-ops.fragwhored.com
Major-Lee-High said:
Like ive said before, im not sure if they could have used the engine on a new game, but if they could have they should have. WW2 is saturated and they most likely dont have the skills or resources to compete with the other games, they will have to rely on the games fun entirely, and if the mod version says anything, it will only be fun to a minority...

I can't believe I'm actually on RO's side of the fence for this one, but I am. I think they have both the skill and resources to make a game that competes, at the very least, with DOD:S. It's already a better game than BiA and any of the latest Medal of Honor trash, at any rate. They'll sell enough copies to make money. They're not risking much, if anything at all. It may not be a port of the mod, but I'd be willing to bet that they recycled some assets, which is probably why they were able to arrive at results so quickly.

I think that by going towards Steam they're hitting the right audience. As long as the price point is right they really can't go wrong here.

Wilsonam

Tripwire Interactive: Designer/CFO
Apr 9, 2005
London
www.tripwireinteractive.com
SquirrelZero said:
I can't believe I'm actually on RO's side of the fence for this one, but I am. I think they have both the skill and resources to make a game that competes, at the very least, with DOD:S. It's already a better game than BiA and any of the latest Medal of Honor trash, at any rate. They'll sell enough copies to make money. They're not risking much, if anything at all. It may not be a port of the mod, but I'd be willing to bet that they recycled some assets, which is probably why they were able to arrive at results so quickly.

I think that by going towards Steam they're hitting the right audience. As long as the price point is right they really can't go wrong here.

SZ - thanks for the support :)

We haven't recycled much - and if you guys are also going it along, then you're aware of the risk/return curve of "going it alone". Could get really painful if it all goes badly wrong!

And, for the record: good luck with Zero Squad next year - maybe we can all meet up at GDC next March and make up over a beer or three!

Cheers,

Alan Wilson
VP, Tripwire Interactive

SquirrelZero

Apr 5, 2003
frag-ops.fragwhored.com
Wilsonam said:
We haven't recycled much - and if you guys are also going it along, then you're aware of the risk/return curve of "going it alone". Could get really painful if it all goes badly wrong!

Right, I guess I hadn't considered that our situations are different. We don't have much of an investment to recoup besides the licensing of our game engine and a few third-party addons like SpeedTree, because we only have a couple onsite developers and we're unpaid.. we do it in our free time. We'd break even after selling only a couple hundred copies.

Wilsonam said:
And, for the record: good luck with Zero Squad next year - maybe we can all meet up at GDC next March and make up over a beer or three!

Cheers,

Alan Wilson
VP, Tripwire Interactive

Maybe! I'm not sure of our ability to afford a GDC booth this coming year, but I'll be there with a couple of our guys nonetheless.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
To be honest, I can't really blame the RO team for going with Steam to publish their commercial version of the game...

A traditional publisher would probably screwed them, crap even Infogrames screwed the last MSU winner TacOps by quickly moving it into the bargin bin. Since Valve is the David to Venvidi's Goliath (relatively speaking) they could probably cut a fair deal with the RO team. Not to mention that most game developers are seriously looking into online distribution, though Valve also publishes their own games through Wal-Mart chains as well.

Personally though, if it was me then I would much rather go with Garage Games since they not only use the shareware model but can unlock & d/l the full game as well. Steam is still not a totally viable platform for game distribution, though it has gotten a lot better since they used another company to host more reliable content servers.

(I wonder how Valve would be able to distribute an Unreal engine game using the Steam GCF files?)

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
Wilsonam said:
SZ - thanks for the support :)

Cheers,

Alan Wilson
VP, Tripwire Interactive

I'm sorry but this PR bullsh*t makes me want to throw up.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Hmm sounds like an interesting idea. Electronic distribution is certainly a good first step and Valve most definitely has the best system that I know of. I always just asssumed that the games they distributed were Source Engine games.

I wish the guys luck, and I'll have to remind them that even though they are distributed by Valve, they still use the Unreal Engine and should continue to keep in touch. :)

I'm no expert in war games, but I was impressed with what I saw when I reviewed the game. It's really hard for me to judge how Counter Strike fans (let's face it - that's the majority of Steam users) will receive the strikingly different gameplay since I'm not a big CS fan.

Bang_Doll

Freebasing Anime Chicks Since '96
Aug 10, 2005
hha3.netfirms.com
SquirrelZero said:
It's already a better game than BiA and any of the latest Medal of Honor trash, at any rate.

Since when has "being the better game" ever translated in any way, shape or form to game sales? *points at history of the video game history* case and point.

Games don't sell for how good they are. They sell when the big companies can convince the stupid people to buy them. Period.

SquirrelZero

Apr 5, 2003
frag-ops.fragwhored.com
Bang_Doll said:
Since when has "being the better game" ever translated in any way, shape or form to game sales? *points at history of the video game history* case and point.

Games don't sell for how good they are. They sell when the big companies can convince the stupid people to buy them. Period.
First, you're arguing with a straw man, because that wasn't what I was talking about at all. Second, "good" is subjective. Although many good games often don't enjoy good sales, how many bad games really sell that many copies? I can't really think of any terrible games that sold all that well. A good game with a good marketing campaign will sell better than a good game with a bad marketing campaign, but that doesn't mean that developers like Tripwire can't succeed with something like this. They don't need to recoup on a $10 million investment with a $1 million marketing tag. Apples and oranges.

Yoshiro

Jul 22, 2003
Visit site
hal said:
Hmm sounds like an interesting idea. Electronic distribution is certainly a good first step and Valve most definitely has the best system that I know of. I always just asssumed that the games they distributed were Source Engine games.

I wish the guys luck, and I'll have to remind them that even though they are distributed by Valve, they still use the Unreal Engine and should continue to keep in touch. :)

I'm no expert in war games, but I was impressed with what I saw when I reviewed the game. It's really hard for me to judge how Counter Strike fans (let's face it - that's the majority of Steam users) will receive the strikingly different gameplay since I'm not a big CS fan.

Hal we still love you and of course will be sending things your way

U

Unregistered

Too bad you didn't get a deal to do it on the 3.0 u-engine, cause it's going to destroy valve/steam. I think SplinterCell:CT is way better than anything in hl2 source and that's not even next gen, but it looks great.

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
steam is Ok, but you are counting on steam users. Most steam users using their credit cards are valve fanboys. Just the word that you are using the unreal engine could turn them off from trying.
Also, by requiring steam, you turn off ALL modem users (more people than you think) and Deployed military, who LOVE to take games with them on deployments (Currently they have a beef with valve as all those copies of HLII they took over to play single player, and no broadband to activate their copies). Don't discount military peoples money, They are a huge video game market, and word from my boys is, valve isn't to popular right now. Submariners, deployed forces, ship board personel. They have a slight beef with steam :)

UnrealProjects

"Your Hired!"
Apr 10, 2004
www.lawdogs-mod.com
executer99 said:
steam is Ok, but you are counting on steam users. Most steam users using their credit cards are valve fanboys. Just the word that you are using the unreal engine could turn them off from trying.
Also, by requiring steam, you turn off ALL modem users (more people than you think) and Deployed military, who LOVE to take games with them on deployments (Currently they have a beef with valve as all those copies of HLII they took over to play single player, and no broadband to activate their copies). Don't discount military peoples money, They are a huge video game market, and word from my boys is, valve isn't to popular right now. Submariners, deployed forces, ship board personel. They have a slight beef with steam :)

Steam is excellent, in a modders stand point its extremely excellent that other are doing it to...........checkout...... http://www.vapour-online.com/ ........the modders way of getting their mods out painlessly.........

This is the future and its here.......awhile back I read an article about Epics response to Steam, how do you think they felt, har har har.........they felt Valve should share......lol!

In my opinion, I think Epic is already implementing this kinda of technology in their next UT release........

Apathy

The original
Apr 16, 2004
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Gaming is bad enough as it is with some of these horrid releases I have seen lately (CoD2/Quake4) to have to deal with something on top of it all that just drags everything down below the pits and into the dirt making it all not even close to being worth it.
Thank gawd for ebay!! at least got some of the money back that I threw out the window on the previously mentioned games.

Steam is buggy, intrusive and just a pain in the ass to use, it doesn't seem the developers give a damn anymore about the ones who actually pay good money for their games.

What on earth is wrong with giving someone a CD key who paid for the game so they can play online?? come out with a pos steaming pile type software for those who want the single player aspect and either let them activate it over the phone or online, leave the people who play online alone, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current system of using a CD key to get online, nothing at all.

weisso

Project Lead - Unreal Demolition
Jan 6, 2003
Bellevue, WA
www.dwgames.net
Apathy said:
What on earth is wrong with giving someone a CD key who paid for the game so they can play online?? come out with a pos steaming pile type software for those who want the single player aspect and either let them activate it over the phone or online, leave the people who play online alone, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current system of using a CD key to get online, nothing at all.

this doesn't really apply to red orchestra, since they're not going with the traditional publisher method. in the case of being practically a self-published game, steam makes a lot more sense, as they won't have to deal with cd pressing, store stock costs, etc. that come along with the traditional method of release.