UT Hexen mod killed - but Q4 Hexen TC needs modellers!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
Slyrr here. Folks familiar with my UT2004 models may wonder why I haven't come out with any new ones for several months. Well, I have been making lots of models, just not for UT2004.

I'm part of the team for the Doom3 engine TC of Hexen and I've been doing their monster models and other models. We've just made the leap to the Quake4 engine and some exciting stuff is brewing.

The project is very ambitious and has ALL custom content. Short story is, we need talented modellers to make creature, NPC and player model content - the meat and potatos of any mod and the most fun stuff to do!

Requirements?
1) Must be familiar with Doom3 engine editing (or at least willing to learn it).
2) Must be a BIG fan of the Heretic/Hexen mythology devoted to making it the best of the best.
3) Above all, be a great modeller/animator who doesn't burn out and give up after an enthusiastic start.

That last one is really important. If you plan on showing up for a week of work or so on the mod, then get sidetracked by 'real life issues' and gradually do less and less, then disappear totally, we don't need that. It's a serious TC with serious content, and we need folks who will seriously devote time to doing it well and right.

The TC boss, Bloodrayne, puts it this way:

searching.jpg

I remember seeing news of a Hexen TC to the Unreal engine, but I also remember reading that it was squashed by either EPIC or Raven for copyright purposes or something. Whoever was behind that project - here's your chance to stick it to whoever it was who killed your mod. Because Raven Software has shown interest, not animosity, toward THIS project.

If you love the Hexen universe and want to play it with Quake4 power, visit our home page: http://edgeofchaos.planetdoom.gamespy.com/

And use the contact info there. The boss would be delighted, believe'n you me. :)

Slyrr

Fony

UE3.0 mod Developer
Sep 9, 2005
I was under the impression that Q4 used the same engine as D3.

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
Yes - it does. But if you can do modelling and skinning, what difference does it make what engine you export them to?

Yes this is an unreal forum - but just because the talented modders who hang out here use unreal engine games a lot doesn't make them any less talented, or those talents less suited from Q4 or D3.

Step outside the box for a bit - the view's pretty good :)

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Slyrr77 said:
Yes - it does. But if you can do modelling and skinning, what difference does it make what engine you export them to?

Yes this is an unreal forum - but just because the talented modders who hang out here use unreal engine games a lot doesn't make them any less talented, or those talents less suited from Q4 or D3.

Step outside the box for a bit - the view's pretty good :)
I think he's more referring to "Why are you advertising iD infront of Epic's developers". (Yea, they do come here) (No, I don't care whether or not you do it here... in fact I'd be interested if I had Doom3/Quake4. Just saying what I assume some others are thinking)

Last edited:

Fony

UE3.0 mod Developer
Sep 9, 2005
Actually it does matter quite a lot, because different engines have very different export pipelines, and restrictions upon them.
And if you're that bothered about getting 'talented modellers' why dont you try going to a 3d art site, not a game site? The majority of people on BU would, in my experience, rather rip your idea to pieces than help you or offer anything constructive.

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
No matter the method of export, the methods of modelling are virtually the same. Point still applies - if you love Hexen and want to help model/texture for it, you're more than welcome - whether you enjoy Unreal or ID engine games.

At 3D art sites, you're more apt to find 3D artists who work in one-time render pieces of digital art, very complicated and intricate. I come to GAME forums looking for GAME modellers.

And while 'rip the idea to pieces' doesn't seem to be happening, your point on folks not offering 'anything constructive' seems well taken.....

Last edited:

Fony

UE3.0 mod Developer
Sep 9, 2005
well you know, GAME ART is technically 3D ART aswell, and I know a lot of game modellers who post on 3D ART forums aswell as GAME ART FORUMS.

As you said, the techniques are the same, but meh.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Hmmm, they are kind of different in lots of ways. Game artists have to be a bit more cunning in how to make objects look more details and realistic than 3D artists. 3D artists can just slap as many textures and polygons as they want on a scene ... although it entirely depends on a lot of factors.

Besides, sending the message on a lot of forums attracts attention which is what Slyrr is probably wanting.