Joe 'DrSin' Wilcox Interview

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I'd rather not have to keep track of a stamina bar, but I understand your point about it being useful in certain situations. I think that the extra mobility it affords deathmatchers DOES make it very exciting... except when they just use it to run away from each other and shoot the ltg from across the map.

I'm all for some kind of system that adds an extra bit of mobility as long as the combat up-close remains just as important as the distant hitscan and the system doesn't overly complicate things.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Stamina.... the very idea... sends cold chills up my spine.
Imagine that.. a stamina bar. As if the previous 2 UT games haven't been screwed over enough yet...

The game must be balanced, it should be inviting to newbians and remain interesting to veterans.But no such thing as stamina bars should create "balance"..

What's next [sarcasm] sore feet after running 10 meters?[/sarcasm]

;-)

Only game I played which had a stamina bar was Rtcw. I hated it.
Then again, Rtcw used the Q3 engine and the movement wasn't really all that. Then again, it did suit the game.
Imagine strafejumping in rtcw.
Ok, gone a litte OT.... =)

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
EggBoy said:
True, maps can be designed so you dont need double jumps, but its still useful for many situations you may get into, and also riding on top of vehicles. What I mean about boost dodging being useful in ONS is that you can move around much faster than normal using boost than just running. It has saved me so many times by getting me behind cover quickly when I see a tank turret turning in my direction!! Dueling a manta (or any other vehicle) on foot would be much harder without boost. I have even avoided shock combo chains from Hellbenders.

For normal maps, if you have seen and demos of pros playing 1-on-1 DM, the game is made much more interesting because they can get around the map much faster and more unpredictably. For CTF you can run with flag faster, and you can get past campers and spammers more easily. And the list goes on and on... I doesnt matter what map or gametype you play it is ALWAYS useful. I dont know if its just that you havent even given boosting a chance and figured out all the obvious benefits of it yourselft, or what?... I mean, I thought everyone knows how useful boost is, its just that people dont like the floaty-ness and sometimes it just looks retarded and makes the game less in-your-face.

Anyway, what about if they have a 'stamina' bar which gets used up when you boost and jump, and then recharges slowly, to tone it down a little?

I think what you mean is dodge jumping, not boost dodging. Or do you have so many walls in the wide open ONS maps when you want to take cover behind a vehicle???

Besides. Boost dodging was taken out of UT2004....

This is the description for UT2003:
http://www.planetunreal.com/tricks2003/dogde/boostdodge.html

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
Eh? Sorry my fault, I didnt realise this, I was talking about dodge jumping all along. I thought the 'boost' bit refered to the fact that you can dodge normally with double tap, or you can 'boost' the dodge further by pressing jump straight after.

But I dont think boost dodging was completely removed from UT2004. I think they just decreased it slightly, cos I remember testing it out and I could still get a some extra height and distance from boosting off walls.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
EggBoy said:
But I dont think boost dodging was completely removed from UT2004. I think they just decreased it slightly, cos I remember testing it out and I could still get a some extra height and distance from boosting off walls.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I wrote that it was nerfed.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Walldodging was mader easier though, which balanced it out...

EggBoy said:

Slightly? I got nerfed to the point of being next to useless alongside the wall-dodge.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Seriously, though? How often did it get used or was it even useful to use? I don't remember every boost dodging off of everything in sight, in fact there were only a very few specific instances where people bothered to try it (and failed miserably half the time).

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Lots of people in Europe wanted it left in the game.

Sir_Brizz said:
Seriously, though? How often did it get used or was it even useful to use? I don't remember every boost dodging off of everything in sight, in fact there were only a very few specific instances where people bothered to try it (and failed miserably half the time).

It was pretty damn usful if you're a CTF flag carrier. Combine it with the shieldgun and you could fly. It made movement a lot faster and less predictable.