UT2007: More things Epic needs to do right.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fracture

Jan 30, 2006
How about after the painter hits the target and the bomb is dropped for a small amount of time the area is "infected" or "radioactive", if you walk into the area you slowly lose health. It could be a great way to deter a flag carrier or close off a passageway for a small amount of time.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Bullet10k said:
You're jokin right? I and many people use shock as primary...
That's the whole problem. With such a high ROF and a relatively high damage-per-shot ratio, the Shock can, if your hitscan is good, literally keep players away and never allow them to close in, which is the Antithesis of what 2k7 is intended to be, and is why there's a lot of grumbling from the Pro-UT (original) crowd who decided not to move on to 2kx. This is also why I suggested a slightly harder to hit Shock Combo, because there's certain maps where a few good combo whores can completely shut down an opposing team (AS-RobotFactory's 3 Shield Components being a prime example - you're forced to go around to the side of the middle one to hit it due to a grate, and a good Combo Whore will thwart you here every time.)

It needs to have some power, for sure, but it definitely needs to be toned down, and the only two ways I really see it happening is an increased ROF, for less shots per given second, or lowered damage, which would probably make the gun less effective and barely useful.

Remember, there's a lot of people who can kill with the lightning gun quite efficiently, and that fires a shot about every 2 seconds in 2k4 IIRC. But of course, the damage there is 70 per hit, 140 if a Headshot/amped normal and 280 if Amped Headshot. (Which, by the way, is virtually a guaranteed kill.)
Turns2Ashes said:
I suspect the only reason DP suggested making the link primary weaker is because I killed him with it 25 times on AS-Convoy yesterday. :p The stupid primary (moved it to secondary on my setup) is so f**king useless except on stationary targets or overcrowed maps.
Uhh, did you read what I said on it? I said a higher ROF and lower damage as one of my recommendation. Please read before disseminating my comments, next time. :rolleyes:

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
I'd prefer a slightly faster ROF with heavily nerfed dmg for Shock. 20 dmg per hit, for ultra-hit juggling capability :D

tbh I think the ROF is already fast enough, but nerfing the damage would require balance through ROF I think... Unless, I dunno. Imo the main feature of the Shock should be the combo, maybe it wouldn't be bad to make primary fire a reserve function along with the cores? If not, I guess faster or more erratic inertia to getting beamed would make juggling tougher and thus nullify the high ROF... but now I'm just going round in circles :p

I'll stick by my combo-as-main-function idea, nerf primary AND secondary fire unless combined. Oh yeah, secondary... Umm. Faster and smaller cores that don't do any damage. They are only ever spammed, never used skillfully for direct damage. They should do a token 1 dmg on a direct hit or something. And flak should penetrate them, as it's supposed to be burning hot shards and hell knows SOMETHING needs to.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Had booster not been so powerful, berserk would be more commonly used.

I wonder if this is something the designers had in mind when designing the weapons.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
stas said:
For sniper they should to it more heavy(equivalent of an awp) like 120 dmg BUT if u move it misses like in cs.And keep lighting as it is for moving and shooting maybe it would be fun that with new engine capacity if u shoot something conductive it could hit sumone whos near it.

English please?

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
stas said:
Hmm using shock rifle is an art :) and it is the best weapon of ut series brand from epic they should keep it powerfull as it is.

For sniper they should to it more heavy(equivalent of an awp) like 120 dmg BUT if u move it misses like in cs.

If you want a random hit sniper gun go play CS. The sniper rifles in UT shall never be a random hit "you moved bitch muahaha" gun. Worst idea ever. And for the damage oh god if you want instant death gun there's a mutator for it, no way a single gun should be one shot one kill.
The game will end up with snipers only camping and no one wil ever get a chance to spawn. How fun is that, really? All because of a nerfed sniper rifle.

I want precision and if they want realism make another game. There's a reason the game is called Unreal Tournament.

Last edited:

Rk.

Sleezy bastard.
Nov 18, 2005
Candyland.
stas said:
Hmm using shock rifle is an art :) and it is the best weapon of ut series brand from epic they should keep it powerfull as it is.

For sniper they should to it more heavy(equivalent of an awp) like 120 dmg BUT if u move it misses like in cs.And keep lighting as it is for moving and shooting maybe it would be fun that with new engine capacity if u shoot something conductive it could hit sumone whos near it.

No grenades in rocket launcher lol that the weirdest one i heard and as u saw in ut2007 vids there is no nades...
Unreal Tournament 1 had a fancy grenade alt-fire for the rocket launcher and that worked perfectly.

Random Elite

Put your feet up and frag.
Jul 9, 2005
Earth
:stupid:

The original RL was the best, 6 chambers and the grenades made it a very poweful gun. Coupled with the Flak and a hitscan, you've got a nice arsenal already.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
The whole problem with the 2kx shock rifle is that the ROF is too high. Unless you nerf the momentum as well, at which point it becomes less and less recognizable as a shock rifle, the first hit tends to guarantee the second, so decreasing the damage of a single hit is almost meaningless. Eventually, it would be even more annoying than a minigun. Old skool lower ROF/Higher damage is the way to go.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I don't think Epic should get rid of any of the weapons. I think you should be able to start with an assault rifle, but be able to pick up a enforcer as a pickup weapon. Two weapons that can have akimbo capability are better than one.

They should keep the lightning gun (loved it) and should make the sniper more like Unreal Tournament. When the Sniper is fired, it should't sound like a 'ummph' but like a loud BANG that echoes.
The stinger is cool but now there isn't any instant hit autimatic rifle, which is why I say they should't take away anything but add more.

The canister gun sounds like an excuse to only have to create one weapon model, which doen't sound like Epic at all. I would prefer though a grenade launcher more Like Unreal ,or even better Pariah, than the sticky UT2004 type.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Dark Pulse said:
Sniper RifleHeadshots need to be more effective. :p This "Hit the Neckbone when the model is halfway through whatever animation is playing" crap sucks; because you get a lot of shots that SHOULD be headshots not hitting. Make the whole head the target.

>Yes:tup:

• Make the gun somewhat less accurate if it's not in a prone/crouched position?

No:tdown: Don't turn this into CS DP

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
They should keep the lightning gun (loved it) and should make the sniper more like Unreal Tournament. When the Sniper is fired, it should't sound like a 'ummph' but like a loud BANG that echoes.

Agreed on sniper,

I also reckon the lightning gun flash should completely bleach out the sniper's screen after firing it for a fraction of a second, followed by a loud thunderous crash that can be heard from across map, to balance it,

also lightning bolt should bright and visible, like real lightning, instead of the faint whispy thing in ut2kx that disguises how powerful the weapon really is

the uc2 sniper trail, dont do it, it looks terrible,

Wouldn't object to rocket propelled bolt/nail for sniper that can nail corpses to walls, once weapon feels powerful,

headshots also need to happen when you hit the characters head, not neckbone, or anything else, it's confusing

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I can agree on keeping the Ltg....smartest weapon they ever made.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Ltg > SR

Sir_Brizz said:
I can agree on keeping the Ltg....smartest weapon they ever made.

Agreed. It did the job of the old SR - but better - and had more character than most of the weapons in the game. I hate having to play against the ltg, but I can definitely say that it's a nice weapon.

I'm pretty apalled that Epic have seen fit to (so far at least), remove it. I think >95% of UT200x fans want it over the SR, and I'm pretty sure that a lot of UT99 fans wouldn't mind it.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well, I for one might be ready and willing to mod the sucker back in if an enterprising model creator were to assist me.

Purr!!

Cat
Feb 4, 2006
The Cat Says:

Yes To Grenades

Yes To Effective Headshots

Yes To Harder Combos

No To 6 Rockets

No To Redeemers

No To Ion Painters

No To CS

The Cat is uncertain about WTF to do with the link Gun.

Last edited:

Rk.

Sleezy bastard.
Nov 18, 2005
Candyland.
Random Elite said:
:stupid:

The original RL was the best, 6 chambers and the grenades made it a very poweful gun. Coupled with the Flak and a hitscan, you've got a nice arsenal already.
Hey! Point that sign somewhere else:'<