PC gaming dieing?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
F

[FiS]Prophetus|PUF

I think consoles will reach the quality...but I'm not the one who will kill the pc. It is the developers who see the money. Rooster, I don't know if you remember the Amiga, but it was the "Best Quality" computer you could buy for "games" and normal pc stuff back then. It could run both IBM and Comodore programs. Yet, it died (well it's still around in Europe). Even Star Trek TNG use the Amiga 4000 Toaster for the creation of some of the show's graphics. And it was running all the virtual reality programs when VR came out. IBM couldn't even touch VR then. But, the IBM compatibles were greater in number. Mainly due to companies using IBM pc's and those who worked at these companies had to buy IBM's for home purposes and compatibility. Again, developers really don't give a rats @ss about what sytem is better quality...they only care which system will sell the most games. And if the consoles win...the PC loses. Don't want to see it, but it may happen...and soon.

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
Which is why we should rally!!! We must kill console gamers with their own D-pads!! Oh yeah Consoles are great If you like fighting and racing games but who cares. I droped thousands of dollars in the PC market as well as my career. Thell have to pry my mouse and keyboard out of my cold dead hands

bullet2.gif

---Prof. Of Comic-Therory/Comedic-History
Ronnie Mervus will pay for his crimes!!!!
George Lucas, Give us Star Wars DVD! Or I swear I'll kill every ewok there is!!!

ZenMasterV

Feb 2, 2000
Visit site
Consoles always seem to find their own niche, independent of PC gaming.. right now I think its more popular due to easier set up, easier to get into, etc.. but i think PC gaming will always be present just because its so ingrained w/i so many companies.. they wont give it up suddenly, if there is a switch, it will be slow, gradual and painless.. Also its up to the consumers to decide ultimately how they want to go and that will be reflected in future marketing trends /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Miang

Feb 23, 2000
Visit site
The PS2 has a nice shiny 1.2 GPix per second fillrate, I think it could handle the T-Buffer. And that's not even mentioning a polygon fire-breathing power that crushes the GeForce beneath a Godzilla'esk scaly foot.

And it plays DVD movies, PS1 games, and all that for a mere $300, which will probably drop to $250 for the Christmas rush.

Yup, I'm getting one.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
A "mere" $300? Damn, I'm not gonna pay that much for a console!

I've seen so many of these "visions" come and go over the last few years. Yeah, VR was gonna be the "next big thing", PlayStation will never take off even with Sony's money behind it, Amiga was gonna make a big comeback (I wish!) etc.

In the end, I just let it all roll. There are a lot of good games coming out this year, the hardware market is bustling (even with the current 3D card madness) and PC gaming doesn't look like fading out anytime soon.

As for consoles. Well, I've got a Dreamcast, play it all the time, and soon I'm gonna do some serious game purchasing for it. PS2 will kick some serious ayass, but it's gonna get a lot of help from Mr. Hype. We all know that Sony can seriously push a product. Even the crappiest aspects of the PS2 (remember, no console is perfect) will get the flowery treatment from the big S.

bullet2.gif

"I put a spell on you, 'cos you're mine." - Nina Simone.

Wingznut PEZ

Nov 30, 1999
Portland, OR, USA
Visit site
Some of you are missing the point. NOBODY is claiming/predicting that the PC or PC gaming is going to go away completely. Those quotes basically said how the consoles can take over the majority of the gamers.

[FiS]Prophetus|PUF nailed it perfectly. Most people (developers included) are getting sick of the inconsistancies to play the latest game. (NOTE: I said MOST people. Hardcore games, such as us, are not the majority.)

For those of you who scoff at $300 for a PS2, just think how much money you spend upgrading your PC each year, just to play the latest game in all it's brilliance.

bullet2.gif

Wingznut [PEZ]
ICQ #29598363

I love playing "The Devil's advocate."

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
The only reason I bought a computer in the first place is because it was time to upgrade my Nintendo yet again. I figure the gaming consoles are going to be blended in to computers eventually. Computers/TV/Stereos are all about to become a single entertainment unit, they almost are already.

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
screw the common man! Gaming should be reserved for the intelectual an econicaly elite!!! Pretty soon there gonna take all our perks, what are we communists?

bullet2.gif

---Prof. Of Comic-Therory/Comedic-History
Ronnie Mervus will pay for his crimes!!!!
George Lucas, Give us Star Wars DVD! Or I swear I'll kill every ewok there is!!!

Zeitgeist

Dec 24, 1999
Visit site
Sure it's great to have compatability and ease of use.. but some of us actually like to know a bit about the workings of our PC's. From the results of the "what do you do for a living" thread, I'd say that was the case for a lot of people here. Let's face it, it's cool to know about the technical aspects of PC's. It's fairly unlikely you would be able to get a career in anything to do with consoles (apart from selling them at K-Mart) whereas nearly all of us here seem to work with our beloved PC's. Standardisation is the way to go, but there will always be some chipmonkey out there strapping a liquid cooling system onto his Celeron so he can run it at 10x the speed. I think the upgradability and technical aspect will help keep the PC alive.

bullet2.gif

PuF: The other white meat.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Spending $300 on a box to play games on (DVD? Mmm yeah OK) and $300 on a number of PC upgrades are two entirely different things. Besides, I don't upgrade my PC just to play the latest game, but when I think it needs upgrading (which actually will be soon).

The thing I've always resented about the gaming comunity at large, console and PC, is how it always thinks in big, overall ways. You'll still find people going down to Argos to buy a PlayStation for their kids. Do they give a toss that's it's not bleeding edge technology? No I don't think so. They're just buying something that's fun for their kids to play on.

All the talk about next-gen consoles and that is fine, but don't forget those people who are actually out there in force, buying these consoles, are the average consumer. They don't care about GeForce or PS2, and why should they?

bullet2.gif

"I put a spell on you, 'cos you're mine." - Nina Simone.