New 40mms

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Not really a release thread, but more of a development one. If you wanna use it offline, that's okay, but I don't think it's time for a server yet.
I've given various versions to a few people and some of them can't seem to get it working, so I need a sort of beta test.

What is the mutator?
Adds two new grenade types (hk69 usable only at the moment) in the loadout menu.

1) M433 HEDP
A high explosive dual purpose round, used against light vehicles and emplacement/bunkers. In inf terms this means it penetrates forward through some walls, spewing a shotgun-blast of shrapnel through the other side.

2) M397 Airburst
Also known as the 'popup' grenade, it hits a surface and kicks off of it with a small explosive charge, and the full detonation occurs a split second later. It's often difficult to place, but you can get head-level explosions from it most of the time. It kicks back quite a distance off a wall if fired into it directly, so watch you don't hurt teammates.

The 40mm flight path has been changed so it flies the proper 400m, and the H&K69a1 has been extended with a version that is calibrated properly to the shooting range (you can hit the 400m target square with the thing!) and can fire the new styles of nades.
The nature of the 40mm explosion has been changed so they don't become too easy with this flatter flight path.
Graphically, the shrapnel has been changed into an invisible projectile that does not bounce, and there's an early smoke effect shooting out from the explosion. Shrapnel is shot out only hemispherically (50% of the shrapnel will no longer be shot into the surface it impacts, freeing up the CPU power that would be used to create these useless projectiles) for both of the impact grenades.

Before people start suggesting additional grenades, the inf_weapon class seems to have a limit of four ammo types, and I'm not sure how easily this can be changed.

The graphics and damage/shrapnel numbers need to be redone (storm also wants his greyish smoke :p) So I wouldn't consider this mutator final.

If anyone's interested, I'm also slowly working on a first-person capable m2 that can be assembled on-the-map through 3 or 4 carryable parts. Has potential. Maybe.

Standard deal to install. .u and .int in UT\system directory. Both of the new 40mm types should appear under the HK69 in the loadout menu, the new HK69 should replace the old one automatically.

Enjoy. (old version removed, see page 2)
2nd edit: Release 1

Last edited:

5eleven

I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain
Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Yurch,

all looks very promising. I downloaded, and will install and hopefull test this weekend. I noticed in the zip file that there is no readme file, and I have one minor question (although bear in mind I haven't tried it yet)

Both types will be available in the loadout, but can both be carried and type selected for whichever type you wish?

In other words, if you can carry different rounds and change round types, what command will be necessary to bind, or will you only be able to select all of one or the other?

yurch

May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
5eleven said:
Both types will be available in the loadout, but can both be carried and type selected for whichever type you wish?

In other words, if you can carry different rounds and change round types, what command will be necessary to bind, or will you only be able to select all of one or the other?
You can carry and use all four types. The types of ammo are cycled through just like before, with the activate attachment key. The new HK69 should simply provide two new options (yellow hud text) to cycle through. No keys to bind.
(of course, if it doesn't work like this, it means the mutator screwed up somewhere ;) )

Bushwack

Avenged Sevenfold...
Jul 21, 2003
Ohio, NE
Visit site
LOL, the mutator is screwed up somewhere, i loaded up 12 of each for a fun try at the range, and NADA, i got the bulk limitations, but no rounds registered or were selectable in my loadout, FIX IT YURCHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

erm unless i have to make a separate YURCH HK69 loadout, is it JUST a round addition or is it like the classes in RAV2 each weapon having to be selected?

on a lighter note, please make us an E-tool so we can dig a trench and hide :D {this is meant as a joke for all the OMG CORRECT THEM ALL peoples}

<edit> i redid the loadout, and then resaved the HK69 loadout, the ammo types show up in the loadout menu, BUT ingame they are not there, but you DO have the bulk added to your loadout for the EXTRA rounds i added to the '69 loadout, just for doubleredundancy and idiotproofness :p

Last edited:

yurch

May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Argh, here we find the problem. :hmm:
I'm not sure if it's related to the loadout config or something differing from machine to machine (perhaps I have an extraneous package reference).
Gimme any info you can about the loadout you carry, I think the problem is in there somewhere. A simple M9 with hk69 plus all four types of nades works for me, it's possible whatever config you are using screws it up?

Bushwack said:
erm unless i have to make a separate YURCH HK69 loadout, is it JUST a round addition or is it like the classes in RAV2 each weapon having to be selected?
Not exactly sure what you are asking here, but make sure the "yurch -new40mms...ect" mutator is running when you try to use them.

I forgot to say that the .int files will make the loadout stuff appear, but none of it will take place unless the mutator is actually running. Sorry.

yurch

May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
And, if worse comes to worse and the rest of that crap doesn't work, you can always manually summon:

summon new40mm.newHK69
summon new40mm.M397Shell
summon new40mm.HEDPShell

Bushwack

Avenged Sevenfold...
Jul 21, 2003
Ohio, NE
Visit site
i meant that if the HK69 in reg INF is one version of the weapon and your mutey changes it, you MAY have to make a separate loadout in the loadouts screen, i tried it both ways, neither worked, does that explain it a bit better? BTW i DID have the mutey running yurch, im not THAT dense :D
Ill try the summon command and let ya know what i think, ask Beppo if he knows whats up with the thing not working right, hes the codemastah, right? :p

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
worked great for me in an offline game... but nerved it with the "training mode"... it's like the mutie does not work correcly in that case.

I also had a problem... a few times (one out of 10 perhaps) when using the HEDP I had a strange problem. First i guess that the balst and the shrapnels shoud go down (throug the surface). Well sometimes it goes UP to the sky and there is so much stuff that my computer completly chokes for 2 seconds.

Nice smoke effect! very nice.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
This sounds very good. Are you going to make the same additions to the M203? Do the grenades have a different colour than smoke or HE grenades when being loaded into the launcher?

Bushwack

Avenged Sevenfold...
Jul 21, 2003
Ohio, NE
Visit site
i tried the summon thing, they summoned fine, but i couldnt pick up the grenades at all dude, thats gotta be a bug, or are they there just to tease nade fans such as me? :D

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
wow, a great mutator!
Especially the new explosions are nice. :)
I did not have any problems, I tried it (only on the training map) with a M9 loadout and then with a Sig (Sig/3Mags, HK69/2nades of each typ, Helmet, LII armor).

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
works well for me, just make sure you've selected the mutator ;)

The smoke effect is a bit slow IMHO, it stays on too long. Also, did you increase the arming distance like you did in RA?

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
Cool stuff Yurch !!

only a few little comments and then a tip for additional ammo types:
- smoke effect is too slow as others mentioned already
- the M433 HEDP works great but leaves no mark/s on the backside of the wall it penetrated yet. Would be a nice addition.
- the M397 Airburst ... nice one... playing billard around corners with it already :)

If you want to get more than 4 ammo types working with your HK69/M203 versions then you have to replace the weapon classes with your own ones like you already do and then use your own array of ammotypes (and all the other arrays that use [4]). Then replace all codes that use the standard arrays with your versions. Doable, but needs a bit of extra codes of course. Then you can use as many ammotypes you want to setup. ... but I guess that was clear for you already ;)

Beppo

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
i like it but i think its realy the OVERKILL weapon, especialy the one that bounces around corners. thats realy evil

it would be great but with restrictions like 2 HK 69 / team

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Awesome Yurch. Please add these to the m203 soon.

CC:
1) The smoke seems awfully dark and opaque and dissipates quite slowly.
2) The HEDP round doesn't seem to penetrate very well. Also, I never saw it put decals on the opposite side of walls. So it is hard to tell if it penetrates or not.
3) Occasionally the HEDP round causes a large amount of explosions at once which causes my FPS to go to 0 for about 10sec.
4) Why did you make the shrapnel not richocet?, that doesn't sound realistic.
5) The Pop up 40mm is very cool. I can see some very fun possibilities with it.

Can you edit the M67 nades as well so that all the grenades look and act the same?

@ Freon:
Why would he increase the arming distance? The 2.9 distance has already been increased from 2.86 to be roughly equal to rav2.

@BW
Edit: Actually you can use mutators in training. So yours is just fuxord.

Last edited:

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
You know what I just thought? Don is right... these nade are really going to change the way we play INF. Shooting through bunkers, around corners, I think it is not such a bad idea the Bouncing HE and the HEDP where available for the HK69. I know it doesn't make sense, but it will balance gameplay a little more then if ppl where running around with M203. Furthermore, in most teams I have seen, there are a lot of ppl doing sniping, and on runnin around with sniper fifles or heavy support. Rarely have I seen support guys with HK69. This would re-raise the hk69 status and usfullness in game.