CliffyB On Next-Gen Game Pricing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
(slightly off-topic?) I could have sworn someone typed "plant-sex" over the past few posts, but I can't seem to find any evidence. Shame!

Is there a proper word for plant-sex, anyway? I bet there is in China, what with all the bamboo.

Bania

Jun 12, 2004
"These are deep, rich, complex games"

Right EA!! That's why all of your friggin' sports games removed most of the features! NBA Live didn't have the All Star Game, Dunk Comp, 3 Point Comp, Freestyle Superstars or even a Franchise.
Madden didn't even have Madden in it apparantly!
Meh, they say it's because they didn't have time to add features but that's bull.
More like if they added them all, they'd have nowhere to go next year. EA, especially EA Sports, are the biggest jokes in the gaming industry. I just hope people who bought their games in the past wake up soon. There is no-one on this planet, fan or not, who should buy their next gen sports games. They are hopeless.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
Bania said:
Madden didn't even have Madden in it apparantly!

Good. His exclusion actually adds to the value of the game.
Madden is an annoying has-been.
I can't stand his voice, and his stupid over analytical approach to the game.

Hopefully he's become just a name on the cover (from now on).

Now, this doesn't mean that EA's Madden franchise is worth a toot yet, especially after buying out the NFL license... eliminating the competition.
Stupid NFL, I blame them too.
Madden's never been as good as the 2k series.

We don't need no stinkin' quality!!!
________
Web Shows

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
"Challenge Everything"

Somehow after buying BF2 for $35 (Circut City had a discount) I have decided that I won't be buying any EA games for a while.
I used to have a 4800GForce TI. On the box, BF2 said it required at least a 5700. Knowing that the 4800 series was better than the 5700 series I thought BF2 would work. WRONG
After BF2 not starting correctly, i went online to see if there were any patches. Instead, i found thousands of gamers just like me who had discovered that EA had made a deal with NVidia to why my better 4700 card wouldn't. EA could easily fix this with a patch, but didn't.
So i went to EB games to see how much i could return it for. The cheap B******s offered my $7(and were selling it for $40 0_o)
I eventually upgraded to a 6800 and got BF2 to run. I was a bit dissapointed more.

My upgraded card could run UT2k4 on hightest settings and could run HL2 to near fullest settings, but could only run BF2 on medium settings with the additional "watch that valley render before your eyes as you approach". Why? Lazy coding.

I was dissapointed to find only 8 maps and no single player.(two of whoch only worked online, which is probably that they were lazy to do the bot pathing).

Next is the server browser. Man, the whole stupid menu was coded horrably and it takes 30 seconds to load each page.

Then I found that BF2 Moder combat will be coming out as a console counterpart, but will have a single player, 3 more teams to play as, and more maps. THen the Expansion to BF2 came out for $35 whitch has everything Moder Combat has that Bf2 when you could get both combined for a console counterpart.

So now I'm angry, and won;t be getting another game for EA since half of their games are cr*p and of the lowest quality possible.

If you had a choice between BF2 and Battlefront 2, Get Battlefront.

//Edit: Grammer

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Evil Clown
Oct 4, 2004
I used to love consoles but the more i get into FPS the more i see a mouse and keyboard as critical. i dont use my PS2 for sh!t anymore and i never got into the xbox save for the occasional drunken/high rounds of halo with buddies years ago. Therefore paying $60 for a game wont be happening here unless it is the be all endall of games that if you dont buy the world will end.

As far as EA goes. They are the worst of the video game industry in terms of over saturation and crappy games.

IronMan(Erie)

May 31, 2005
Erie, Pa
I've been put off by the high priced games for awhile now. I wait for a sale or just sit tight until the prices drop which I have found only takes 2-3 months. I will not pay over $30 for any game. There is no game that "I must have right now" that justifies a high price tag. Why must anyone have a game that costs $50+ anyway? I don't see it as justified since most games are just hype and have no lasting replay value. Worse yet is the expensive expansion packs that cost practically as much as the original game not to mention that these xpacks seem to be coming out shortly after instead of a year or so. You barely play the original game for a couple months then EA releases an xpack with the rest of the game we should have gotten originally. A good example of lasting quality gaming for cheap is my $10 UT:GOTY editon. A six year old game that still can be a new experience every round. I'll stop now...

Bang_Doll

Freebasing Anime Chicks Since '96
Aug 10, 2005
hha3.netfirms.com
SirYawnalot said:
(slightly off-topic?)

I love how he says "slightly off-topic".

Oh, SirYawnalot. You win the internet.[/cliche - but deserved]

IronMan(Erie) said:

About that price drop - you may have noticed, but that doesn't occur with console games. I've seen console games 1+ years old with almost the exact same price as when they first came out. That's part of the reason I've completely stopped looking at console games in recent years. (And I grew up on them bastards.) The other part of the reason is that they mostly suck. Nowadays.

Last edited:

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
KeithZG said:
They cost 4 times as much so they can have at least 4x the profit margin! ;) Simple, really. They've managed to get people to pay this much for the games, so they do. It's pretty much elementary capitalism (especially the way it is practised in our modern, corporate way) to charge the consumer as much as is possible. They've gotten quite good at convincing people that it's justified; but kudos to CliffyB for going out and saying that this latest little shove by the industry just doesn't pass! I have to say, I really respect him for saying stuff like that. Three cheers for Epic actually having outspoken employees instead of merely a cynically-lying marketing department (*cough*EA*cough*).

You got it right. Just dont buy the games when they first come out. Then they will lower there prices, because they will lower there prices if people arnt buying them durring the first 3 months.

plant-sex

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Bang_Doll said:
About that price drop - you may have noticed, but that doesn't occur with console games. I've seen console games 1+ years old with almost the exact same price as when they first came out. That's part of the reason I've completely stopped looking at console games in recent years. (And I grew up on them bastards.) The other part of the reason is that they mostly suck. Nowadays.
It does occur ... but only on titles they re-release as Platinum-series for the PS2 (MS & Nintendo have their own variants).
Also unlike pc-games you can safely buy used versions ...

Pain Nightmare: The GF4 supports only PixelShader 1.3, BF2 requires PS1.4. An Ati Radeon 8500 does work with the game. The GF4 is faster but not more capable than the GF5x00 and saying "my GF4 is better than the GF5 so the game should run" is like reading "Windows 98 or better" and saying "Linux is better than Windows 98 so the game will run".

Plus a GF6800 should be able to play the game at full details except for the texture setting, which has to be medium (at least on my 128MB card) to avoid stuttering from texture loading.

The ranked servers do pretty well to reduce TKs. Of course there are the occassional annoyances if you're playing for points but that's no longer an issue if you're only playing for the match.

[Pain]Davis 51

Dec 1, 2005
Hi. I am [Pain]Nightmare’s Older Brother. This is my first post. I would like to clarify what our experience was with EA and Battlefield 2.

Both me and my brother purchased BF2 at Circuit City for $35. When I looked at the top, it said the game required a Geforce 5700 or higher. I thought: “That’s OK, because the Geforce 4800’s that we both have are faster.” How wrong I was. We soon learned that we were not alone. I was absolutely furious when I heard EA’s PR rep claiming that the GF4 line was obsolete.

EA's whole rationale is that "Battlefield 2 requires high end technology, and therefore some users may require an upgrade" is 100% Bullsh!t. Some people on EA’s forums were speaking on the lines of “Qu1t wh1gn1ng 1ts 0nly a f1fty-dolla upgrade cheap-@$$ LOLZ.” However, in order to run Battlefield at graphically superior settings, I would have to replace my entire motherboard with one containing a PCI Express slot, potentially costing upward $1000. Even upgrading to a 6800 would cost at least $200. (Don’t forget we are running two separate machines, thus increasing the cost to $400)

If I payed for a GF 5x00 card, then I would subsequently suffer poorer performance in my other games. I hardly call that an upgrade. The Geforce4 couldn't run UT2K4/Half Life 2/Doom3 etc. at their highest settings, but still ran them pretty damn well. On top of that, playing the above listed games with my Geforce4, they still looked a helluva lot better than Battlefield 2 with a 6800. For a game that boasts superior graphics, it sure as hell doesn’t show it.

Now before anyone goes on bitching about how graphics don’t substitute gameplay, I would like to say that I realize this. However, when a game will not run on your system because you are using an “obsolete” card, that game damn well better be able to brag about it’s graphics. Especially when the card is only 2-3 years old and can run graphically superior games without a hitch.

It’s worth it to note that my brother and I are still experience severe lag in Single Player AND Multiplayer on medium/high settings. We are both using Verizon FiOS High Speed Internet, which has been known to download at over 300kbps (I have seen it go to 600 once.) so it’s not our connection. (You know the game has a problem when you experience lag in the f*cking server browser)

The fact that they didn’t code the textures to work with the GF4 line is an indicator of either lazy programming, constrained budget, or rushed deadlines. All of these are unacceptable for such a hyped-up game. I am willing to spend money on an upgrade, but not just for one game that fails to deliver on all accounts.

On the plus side, the Discs make nice coasters to hold my Hot Cocoa whilst enjoying a round of Onslaught.

KDR, I haven't used Linux, so I can't really say it's better than Windows. I am not sure if EA has released a Battlefield 2 For Linux, but you let me know when they release Battlefield 2 for Pixel Shader 1.3. After all, Battlefield: Modern Combat was released for the X-Box, which uses a dumbed down Geforce 3, running Pixel Shader 1.3. Kind of hypocritical of EA.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Perhaps the listed system requirements for Battlefield 2 weren't explicit enough, but it does say:
Video card must have 128 MB or more memory and one of the following chipsets:
  • NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or greater
  • ATI Radeon 8500 or greater

In no way would I interpret that to say that a GeForce 4 4800 would be acceptable. While arguably a faster card, it certainly is not "greater" or "newer" in terms of technology. The word "chipset" should be a red flag because newer chipsets offer newer technology that cannot be duplicated on an older card. It's possible that EA could have written a software fix into the game to support the older 4800, but they seem to have chosen not to.

I think they just need to re-word that System Requrement box a bit.

[Pain]Davis 51

Dec 1, 2005
hal said:
I think they just need to re-word that System Requrement box a bit.

Agreed. They should have at least specified that it is not compatible with the GeForce 4 Series or Lower, then the 35 bucks spent would have lessened the financial impact of me buying the 6800.

Newer, not greater, since I considered the 4800 to be greater in every practical way.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
Sorry. But the BF2 specs suck.
I was with 300 people. The day before the game came out. It would not play with the 850xt card I bought the day before at Fry's. They let me return it and get a BFG 6800. It still would not play.
The first patch that they came out with. I tried it, and it worked.:D
Then came patch 2...It would not play at all. I have not even installed the newest patch...because I was told I have to uninstall, then reinstall the game, and to be honest, I'm getting sick of war games (the walking and flying take to long to do).

Why does every game I have (over 150) all work great, but BF2? = Bad testing.

[Pain]Davis 51

Dec 1, 2005
BFG is a sh!tty graphics card maker. They overclock their cards, and half the time they are not stable. When we upgraded, we bought BFG cards, and had to exchange tehm for eVGA Cards because they wouldn't work at all.