Pain2K4a3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
What's this about emptying the ammo? Secondary is a blow torch, not an ammo emptier. o_O

Check the first post.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
it used to anyway. Secondary unloaded all the ammo in a big fireball or something. Unless that changed from A3 to A4 and I just never tried the flamer again.

edit: Well whaddyer know. It musta have been changed. All I know is something in Pain2K4 made UT2004 take a giant crap when used with infinite ammo or UT2004RPG. And now I have no idea what.

edit: Can the damage on the flamethrower be bumped up a little? It's fire, it's uspposed to hurt more than it does right now. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Secondary used to be the same as primary. In RPG, it would fire everthing at once for some reason. Which hung the game for several seconds. I'm guessing adding infinite ammo to the mix made it actually crash with infinite recursion.

I changed the flamer to make it so the spray was more about refueling the being-on-fire-ness than doing damage itself (though it does still do some damage). I can increase the damage of the spray and/or of the being-on-fire-ness.

Here's a pic of an experiment for a new vision mode thingy for the shock rifle replacement. ;3

Attachments

• Shot00075.jpg
    Shot00075.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 37

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
I think "yarg" sums that screenshot up nicely although maybe it will be cooler in-game. Most things usually are.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Better? ;)

Attachments

• Shot00079.jpg
    Shot00079.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Shot00081.jpg
    Shot00081.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 27

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Much cooler. Now you just have to worry about CTF4. :p

Hey speaking on that, did you know your Railgun is already CTF4-compatible? Blue and red players highlight the right colours, and then Green highlights as green, and Gold highlights as something not gold but close enough. I thought that was pretty cool. And the Railgun works a lot better without UT2004RPG. I don't play that anymore, it mucks too much stuff up.

That old weapon model sucks pretty hardcore in the face of the new one though. Could that be changed? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Wha'? That shouldn't be the case. o_O The railgun colors friends cyan and enemies red-orange. The only "green" people should be friends with enemy flags. The gun I'm working on now works similarly; enemies are orange, friends are blue. Projectiles are orange, too. I could make everything team color-coded, rather than friend/foe-coded, but then I'd have to come up with new colors for flag carriers for the railgun, and for neutrals (green stuff now: pickup bases and dead things) and projectiles for this gun.

Re: the model, you mean the shock rifle model? I don't like the new shock rifle model for this gun. :O It looks makeshift and experimental to me, whereas the old one looks sleek an' stuff. What's wrong with the old one? :[

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
the old one reeks. Of ass.

Maybe CTF4 handles things differently. Not only are there team-coloured skins, but there's team coloured shock beams, link projectiles, and even corpse-spirit effects. Maybe its overriding your railgun. At any rate it makes it better I think. Kill anyone not the same colour as you. :p

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
I like the old one. <_< You're mean. ;-;

It can't override the railgun. Duh, fool. :O :b

Red and blue work (for the new gun, not the railgun yet). Green and gold textures are in, but not in use until I can figure out which team number to assign them to (gotta dl that CTF4 thingy, I guess, and finally patch the game again). The new neutral color is a dark purple, and the new projectile color is a solid red/yellow flashing deal (not flickering, blinking, strobing or anything annoying like that; it's a smooth oscillation between the two colors). The only problem is that in Invasion your friends AND the monsters are red. So I think I'll just color monsters green. That could be a problem if monsters are present in a CTF4 match for some weird reason, but I don't think that's terribly likely, and I don't wanna go looking for another color I haven't already used. XP

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Well the blue team and the red team do highlight as blue and red. Green and Gold end up yellow. That's close enough for the gold team I guess but I was wrong about the Green Team. I coulda swore they were green through the Railgun but they aren't.

I'd go ahead and do the team colour thing, and not worry about monsters being in CTF4. Even if they were (Invasion Everywhere) you could tell whether it was human or monster by the shape of the colour blob, really. If it's a huge circle with two arms in the air, I don't think I'm going to mistake it for a player ;)

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
You want some what?

Made some more things wireframed in the vision mode thingy. Dom points, destroyable objectives, few onslaught thingies, and flag and bomb stuff, I think. I was getting some lag with it on some maps (really bad in some cases). I changed the way it works and now all the lag seems to be gone. The only sacrifice I had to make was weapon pickup bases are no longer wireframed. But now pickups themselves are drawn in the neutral color while waiting to respawn. Those weird, ugly gun turret thingies in onslaught aren't drawn, though. I d'know why. :\
The weapon itself I think is pretty much done. It shoots people the way I want, though I may still screw with the balance type stuff.
I'm not sure what I want secondary to do. I've considered making it turn the wireframe stuff off, but that seems sorta pointless. I'm also sorta considering making it activate some other crazy feature of the vision enhancement junk, but I d'know what, and I had previously planned to make any cool vision enhancement stuff work automatically. It already chooses which type of projectile to shoot by itself. Which reminds me, the explosive ones'll still blow up team mates. Gotta fix that. Oh yeah, and I'm gonna make it an option again to use the new or old model (rather than forcing the old one on you as it does now). I think that's all for now.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Smoke39 said:
I d'know. When do you want to play with it?
Well, the sooner the better would be nice, but everything should be working properly too. Buggy weapons are a pain in the ass.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
As long as the Izu and the sniper shotgun are in, that should do me for a month or so. You've had smaller updates before I think and they were still fun.

While I'm suggesting things, can I ask that you increase the damage on the Flamethrower by more than twice? It's incredibly weak, and even using ChaosUT's 2x damage relic it's not very powerful. So damage needs to be bumped up by more than twice what it does now.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
The izu and sniper shotgun ARE in. Did you not check the first post when I told you to?

Mutator should be pretty soon, now that I pretty much have a full arsenal replacement.

I'll increase both the direct and burning damage of the flamer.