UE3 - UT3 How do i make animate characters in an in game cinematic sequence using matinee?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MualamaAlien

Giggity Giggity
Mar 1, 2009
Earth
Does anyone know how to make characters perform different animations at different times in matinee? I can't even figure out how to make the characters animate in a matinee sequence. I would like to be able to make a character runs to selected spots, fire at things, so on and so forth. I've searched but i can't find any tutorials on this, or even anyone mentioning it. PLEASE HELP!!!!! :(

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Yeah, me too :(. However, I've been told that most of the campaign maps have cutscenes in them. Maybe we could look to see how those were done? I think they have characters walking, talking, and performing various other animations.

MualamaAlien

Giggity Giggity
Mar 1, 2009
Earth
Ah yes

The in game cinematics were pre recorded in a diff program i beleive. But i have seen videos of them showing off the matinee and it had people running, explosions, vehicles moving around, and the tutorials that came with the collectors edition mentioned that you could create cinematics with people, explosions, vehicles, etc. using matinee. So i know there is a way, i have seen it done, but i can't find anybody that will tell me how :(

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Dang yeah, you're right... they make it sound like UE3 is awesome for doing cinematics, but where are the blasted tutorials or examples :confused:?!?!?!?!?

If you ever find any, be sure to post the links here :(.

D-Chap

Moon Master
Mar 8, 2009
Yeah this was a goal of mine as well, though atm I severely lack the unreal knowledge to do it. So... it's a long term goal =P

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, but if you're trying to make a cinematic like say, in GoW or UT3 I imagine you do a fair amount of the animations outside of Unreal in max or maya, then chain them together in a sequence with camera angles in matinee. Or you may just be wanting to have the character play animations that are part of his basic animation set and run from point to point. The latter I think is much easier.

In any case, there has to be commands in matinee or kismet that you can call to play certain animations, or make characters run to certain points. I imagine it just requires a bunch of digging and trial and error. The camera stuff is covered pretty well in the videos tutorials.

D-Chap

Moon Master
Mar 8, 2009
I think _N_ has the right idea- try going into one of their files for a campaign map and ripping into the kismet data they have. All the stuff should be in there for character animations, dialogue, whatever.

MualamaAlien

Giggity Giggity
Mar 1, 2009
Earth
Thanks

Alright guys, thanks for your help, i'll do some digging and i'll be sure to post my results back here, and if they are favorable i'll post them a number of places so other people don't have to dig :)

Last edited:

MualamaAlien

Giggity Giggity
Mar 1, 2009
Earth
Figured it out!

Hey guys, i've done some noodling around and i've figured out how to have characters animate in a matinee cinematic sequence. I made a test level that works very well in which a character runs down a hallway with music and of course full camera action, and i've also added explosions and the like! If you would like to find out how to make a matinee cinematic sequence PM me and i'll tell ya :) If i get enough people asking, i'll post a little thread tutorial for it :D

D-Chap

Moon Master
Mar 8, 2009
Yeah that sounds totally awesome! I want to be able to do fun stuff like this eventually =)