Official UT3 Loving Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Anything and everything you like or love about Unreal Tournament III, post it right here. The community needs to hear this.

Join in the UT3 lovemaking. If you still feel like whining, go for the other thread.

I'll start with one of my favorites. First off, it runs on a five years old computer. Amazing things can be done with Windows XP.

DM-Fearless
That invincibility power up is so cool even thou it's almost meaningless. Immortality is overrated in this game. People won't pick a fight with the carrier, but then again everyone goes for it anyway. I have even knocked it off several people holding it with the impact hammer. I love the dynamics it brings to a free for all eight players deathmatch. The soundtrack as well as the textures and meshes are pure beauty.

Custom maps
Releases every day now. A lot of things to try and there are quite a few good maps out there already.

DM-Morbias
The first deathmatch map I ever loved in this game's universe. Rocket scientist makes my day. I really like the remake too. The new rocket launcher have so many ways it can fire and the variations in all possible situations are numerous. Even a single weapon makes the game worth playing for hours and hours.

Why be down, when you might as well be up? I choose happy over sad or angry any day. I have nothing to complain about, really.

Let's post some positive thoughts here, shall we?

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
My most positive thoughts. Well, I love the DM, but right now, we have mostly medium to small size maps and servers with limits set too high for the optimal experience. HOWEVER, now that I've had some time to really dig in with some of my UT brethern that I've been playing with for as much as 8 years...boot up a Dual server and play some serious 1 on 1, the experience is one of the best there is and really harkens back the best UT99 1 on 1 gameplay.

The one thing I noticed after playing some good 1 on 1s is that Sound Cues are really back as a major factor in the game. I can't say it PLAYS like UT99 because it's a different game, but even though I like UT2Kx, the 1 on 1 experience never matched UT99. UT3 is close.

Fun game. Maybe the community stays relatively small...too bad. Lot of competition out there for the gaming dollar, so be it. But UT3 is a fun fun game.

Sir_Squiggles

Knight of the Wound Table.
Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Well this is novel.

Gah, feels too warm and fuzzy in here, I think I need to go back to the whining thread. I've been institutionalised.

PS I like all the tentacles in UT3. If I had to say one way they could have improved UT2K4, I would have said more tentacles.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Official UT3 whining thread - 26 replies
Official UT3 loving thread - 3 replies

Score is almost tie :)

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com

Score is almost tie :)

That's because the people liking the game are spending a lot more time playing it. All the haters do is troll...for the most part.

I still don't quite get it either. I don't like a game...I stop playing it...and I sure as hell don't spend the next 3 months frequenting forums and fansites of a game I dislike.

What gives. How miserable is your life that you keep fansites of **** you hate up at your PC constantly?

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland

Score is almost tie

Our posts count more because we're prettier

And I posted on the whining thing but it was more to point and laugh.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Plushy awesomeness.

UT3 is so fun that despite the incessent whining made by myself and a million others, I still go back to it nearly every day. That's how good UT3 is.

The weapons all feel like mobile artillery, like they should be, rather than light-weight nerf guns. Blowing up vehicles and objectives are very satisfying with such destructive forces brought to us in UT3.

Warfare is fun and unique. Especially on FragBU, where everyone is good enough to make a difference in the round. Killing vehicles on foot is still possible after learning some differences between UT2k4 and UT3, vehicles still can pwn if used right, and the hoverboard rocks.

The player scale works, all of the maps look wonderful, most of the maps play great. Deathmatch is addictive, Vehicle CTF is great, CTF has excellent maps, WAR is already mentioned as teh fun, and Duel is welcome.

There's a reason there are still people around bitching about the bad stuff in UT3, and that's because UT3 has lots and lots of really damn good stuff.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I still don't quite get it either. I don't like a game...I stop playing it...and I sure as hell don't spend the next 3 months frequenting forums and fansites of a game I dislike.
That's really easy to say when you either a) like a given game or b) aren't a part of the community for the game or series. You get to play devil's advocate because it's easy for you. It's like the opposite of trolling but essentially the same idea.

Many people have been long-time fans of Unreal, and to see UT3 in the state it's in is extremely disappointing. Yeah, Average Joe got UT3, found out it sucks, and left it at that, but everyone else who enjoyed past Unreal games, played them heavily, and dislike this new one probably feels a little betrayed and pissed off.

It has to do with the care factor. If TF2 or COD4 had bombed I wouldn't have given a crap because I didn't care about them prior to their release. But UT3 taking a plunge into failure affects me more than those other games because I actually cared about UT3 and wanted it to own like it rightfully should have.

Additionally, UT3 is the only new game of its type, so by failing it's left people with no new similar shooters to fall back on. The only games to go back to are past UTs and Quake 3.

GGA_Nate

I train people, not dogs.
Jan 20, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
www.myspace.com
I love that I can jump into a deathmatch game for a quick 10 minute battle or, if I so desire, spend a whole hour playing warfare. I dig the old fashioned UT experience as well as the new-fangled vehicular gametypes.

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
Many people have been long-time fans of Unreal, and to see UT3 in the state it's in is extremely disappointing. Yeah, Average Joe got UT3, found out it sucks, and left it at that, but everyone else who enjoyed past Unreal games, played them heavily, and dislike this new one probably feels a little betrayed and pissed off. .

I've been part of the community since 99 on almost every level. I've played competitively in UT and 2k4, ran a moderately succesful fansite for a couple of years. Mapped for a while...I think UT3 is a fresh return to what made the original fun.

I also see the average Joe gamer that's picking up this as their first Unreal game generally has a positive reaction. Almost across the board the only astounding negativity is from
1. The 2k4 community that didn't play UT99 much or at all
2. Long term community members (or those that pretend to be) that really have made their internet careers out of being haters.

That's the killer. Even if you cared that much about the series...what about all these UT99 players that allegedly jumped off the bandwagon when 2k3 was released? STILL trolling the community fan sites and forums? Nope. Hating the game is seemingly the hip thing to do.

What I see is a lot of the high power UT99 players and clans that legit didn't care for 2k3/4 finally moved on to their Wolfensteins and BF1942+ games...and just left those that stayed with the series alone because they had better games to play. See a lot of those names from the UT99 days cropping up that were absent (from the game AND trolling) and playing and liking UT3. If the game was a bust, I don't think people would still be pounding these OR the official forums.

Still, those of us that like the game may argue specific points about the games weaknesses or strengths, but ultimately, if the game really blew and I refused to play it I would move on even after investing 8 years in this effing series rather than trying to convince others that they shouldn't play it.

As it stands though, I guess the no-brain teenage mentality is to spend hours digging up forum pix and new ways to combine profanities and flames to insult those of us enjoying the game.

I'm just rolling with it now. Match start to match end, the game is blast and I love it. Beyond that, ya, there are a lot of legit complaints with the package wrapped around the game itself. Ultimately, I boot the game and start playing rather than dwelling on it.

I certainly welcome legitemate and HEALTHY discussion about the game's weaknesses and strengths, but why spend time using a brain when you can dig up a really funny picture of a boat sinking?

Last edited:

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
but everyone else who enjoyed past Unreal games, played them heavily, and dislike this new one probably feels a little betrayed and pissed off.

I feel really sorry for Epic right now. They make an update to a series, refine it and make it prettier and then... Everyone hates it. And almost all of the vehement responses complain about the menu. The bloody menu. I don't think I've ever seen so many people being snobby about a menu.

Other negatives are less content... But the user content makes up for it and OTHER GAMES DON'T HAVE AS MUCH CONTENT EITHER. Halo launched with like 10 maps. Team Fortress with 6. UT3 has 40 or something.

Was everyone actually expecting a reinvention of the series? I wasn't. And I totally don't get the still here after 3 months thing. Do you not play any other games?

Last edited:

GGA_Nate

I train people, not dogs.
Jan 20, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
www.myspace.com
That's really easy to say when you either a) like a given game or b) aren't a part of the community for the game or series. You get to play devil's advocate because it's easy for you. It's like the opposite of trolling but essentially the same idea.

Many people have been long-time fans of Unreal, and to see UT3 in the state it's in is extremely disappointing. Yeah, Average Joe got UT3, found out it sucks, and left it at that, but everyone else who enjoyed past Unreal games, played them heavily, and dislike this new one probably feels a little betrayed and pissed off.

It has to do with the care factor. If TF2 or COD4 had bombed I wouldn't have given a crap because I didn't care about them prior to their release. But UT3 taking a plunge into failure affects me more than those other games because I actually cared about UT3 and wanted it to own like it rightfully should have.

Additionally, UT3 is the only new game of its type, so by failing it's left people with no new similar shooters to fall back on. The only games to go back to are past UTs and Quake 3.

Are most of the "whiners" long time UT fans? Regardless, I'm not sure how the endless repetition of "why UT3 is failing" threads really accomplishes anything . Of course, posting on an internet forum is like the opposite of production. I'm just saying that it's hard to be sympathetic towards these people from my prospective as a long time Unreal series fan because, honestly, despite a shoddy UI, a crappy server browser, and the whole gamespy login deal, I'm enjoying the game immensely.

The whining isn't going to accomplish anything and neither will blind praise. If UT continues to tank in the sales department, well, that'll do something.

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
Are most of the "whiners" long time UT fans? Regardless, I'm not sure how the endless repetition of "why UT3 is failing" threads really accomplishes anything .

The whining isn't going to accomplish anything and neither will blind praise. If UT continues to tank in the sales department, well, that'll do something.

My thoughts as well. Nate, Muncie? BSU?

I'm a 93 grad from Testicle Tech...or as my circle still sometimes calls it, The Balls of State.