Should Epic repeat the 2k3 -> 2k4 history again to save UT3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 11, 2006
Almost no muts or mods become mainstream in the UT games. They never did and never will. Only small groups and clans really use this type of stuff.
Unless Epic puts it into a future bonus pack, additional content just won't make it onto most of the servers. Which is why all of the "let's fix the UI ourselves" etc. is pointless and a waste of time.
And myself, I avoid servers running most custom maps and fifty muts simply because I don't want all of that garbage choking up my system, most community hackers unfortunately don't know what they are doing, and too much of the hacked-in content is messing up people's UT3 installs.

I don't know about that. Maybe at some point when UT was bigger, that was the case. For what remains of the UT communities, playing with things like UTComp/TAM/Freon and such is very common.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
It's probably highly likely that nobody ever thought to or cared to port that mutator. That's what happens when you make a new game. You decide what to bring along, what to create new, and what to ditch.

Regenerating health. Puh-LEASE. You really think no one cares about it? How about Vampire? That was probably the best one to use in a deathmatch game, sustaining the player who's 1st place until the other players wise up and gang up on the 1st place player.

I haven't had any problems. Granted I've never really played at detail 1 or 2, but at 3 and above I have no problem seeing other players. What gametype are you even talking about? In team games, there are "brightskins" already.

Brizz, I have a GeForce Verto/PNY 7900gs (Zalman AlCu-700 fan replacement). I can run Detail/World @ 5/5 and get anywhere from 50 to 15 frames per second. The variable performance in Unreal Tournament 3 has led me to reduce my graphics details to 4/1, or if I'm lucky, 4/2.

It might also have to do with the fact that I don't own a SATA drive... I still run on an old IDE100 drive.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't know what the issue is. All I'm saying is that the models are visible, you probably just need to tweak your settings. In Vista I get pretty crap performance, I think I'm running at 3/3 and I don't have any problems with visibility between that and 5/5 on XP.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
It's just hard to see jack crap. Try running the game on 1/1, and then play DM-Arsenal. Then tell me again that you don't have any problems.

EDIT: Sorry if my post sounds a bit hostile... I've just been very disappointed with UT3.

Cobra

Dec 15, 2005
Montreal, Canada
Please epic, make a BRIGHT SKINS mut, or something. I try to love that game.

But the way it is I simply can't, to many thing's to be fix. But at least make a mut: for bright skins

I have to play the game, texture 5 world detail 1, cause if I put it higher then that. First it is killing my eyes, and it is damn hard to see the blue bots, at least for me

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Brizz, I have a GeForce Verto/PNY 7900gs (Zalman AlCu-700 fan replacement). I can run Detail/World @ 5/5 and get anywhere from 50 to 15 frames per second. The variable performance in Unreal Tournament 3 has led me to reduce my graphics details to 4/1, or if I'm lucky, 4/2.

It might also have to do with the fact that I don't own a SATA drive... I still run on an old IDE100 drive.
An IDE drive would have nothing to do with it. I switched from an IDE drive to a SATA one about a month ago and I noticed no real change in performance.

It's mostly your card. A 7900 GS is pretty low end among the 7900s. It's still a good card for UT3, but if you're looking for max details you're probably going to want something better. Generally only the 7900 GTX can get away with max details at about 60 FPS. UT3 seems to REALLY love 8800 series cards though; any of those is more than suitable for max details. For the record, I have an old-style 8800 GTS 640, and online my framerate is nearly always hitting the framecap of 90 FPS. Only on select maps (such as DM-Shangrila in the courtyard) does it dip to perhaps 70. Very rarely does it ever go lower, usually only in an extreme firefight.

You can also try turning down the rez and seeing if that'll help your framerates.

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com
Almost no muts or mods become mainstream in the UT games. They never did and never will. Only small groups and clans really use this type of stuff...

actually, there are some mods/muts that become mainstream, one right off the top of my head would have to be TAM. it has become quite popular in 2k4, and is still played quite often by alot of folks. infact some of the most popular servers out there are tam servers...so some mods/muts do become mainstream.

but, i whole heartily believe that UT3 must re-release a new "UT4" or something of the sort, maybe right around this time next year (spring/summer) release, where it will have very little competition, peeps will be getting old of their "x-mas" fix games, and be looking for something new. and if epic puts out a highly polished, very solid, quality game, with more maps, skins, and game types than are currently available (along with fixing all the BS that gets complained about in every other post) the game could easily be a smash hit, and it could easily be played for 5+ years with a strong fan base.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Almost no muts or mods become mainstream in the UT games. They never did and never will. Only small groups and clans really use this type of stuff.
Unless Epic puts it into a future bonus pack, additional content just won't make it onto most of the servers. Which is why all of the "let's fix the UI ourselves" etc. is pointless and a waste of time.
And myself, I avoid servers running most custom maps and fifty muts simply because I don't want all of that garbage choking up my system, most community hackers unfortunately don't know what they are doing, and too much of the hacked-in content is messing up people's UT3 installs.

Well I agree muts might not become mainstream and theres very few I'll actually play online much, maybe RPG invasion is the only one I spent much time in.

I do enjoy a nice list of compatible mutators though even if its just for offline play, with Epic providing them there would be less incompatibilities and less of a chance for peoples UT3 installs to get messed up.

I try to keep my UT3 install as clean as I can and stick to content providers I trust to do a good job, if I install something and it stuffs something up I can usually reverse it (guess installers should be the go) and I usually wont download from that person again unless its stated somewhere that the problem I had was addressed.

It was the same for 2k4 though, I was having problems with compiling UC2004 TC and a fresh install fixed it. The cache was just getting choked up as you put it, so I certainly see where youre coming from. The biggest problem for me hasnt been maps or muts with UT3 but custom models, for some reason if I try to run unpublished it crashes.

I kinda agree with RFlagg though, maybe what UT needs is more of a community deal happenin. Like get Epic in there sponsoring mods much like valve did with CS and TF2, ofcoarse not every mod will be an instant success but with Epic's name backing it up it shows there is a level of quality there, support and updates into the future. It doesnt need to be TC's only, when we look at 2k4 we see how different companies worked on different gametypes so maybe theres something in that as well :cool:

Certainly bonus pack is the way to go, I dont think it would be unfair if Epic chose some content from the modders to put in with theirs regardless of the MSUC.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Indeed. If he truly believes UT2004 was ever as unpopular and failboatacular as UT3 then he's retarded. D:

I don't really think "retarded" is the best way to put things as we all have our opinions now, but indeed 2k4 could have never been as unpopular as UT3. I don't believe it could have because people liked (and still like) 2k4 because it's full of great stuff, while UT3 is not. So I'm sure it couldn't be more unpopular then UT3 under any form, yes.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Me and Brizz go "way" back. He'll say something stupid, I'll call him out, there will be an argument, I'll give up because I don't care enough. Repeat ad infinitum.

He's retarded. :)

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Cobra said:
Please epic, make a BRIGHT SKINS mut, or something. I try to love that game.

But the way it is I simply can't, to many thing's to be fix. But at least make a mut: for bright skins

I have to play the game, texture 5 world detail 1, cause if I put it higher then that. First it is killing my eyes, and it is damn hard to see the blue bots, at least for me

See? It's not just me. I can't see crap if I set World Detail anything higher above 1. If I set World Detail to just 1, then it's easy(er) to see bots, but I sacrifice a lot of good looks because of it.

Trade off: Include a bright skins mutator. Then I can see bots bright at ANY distance.

An IDE drive would have nothing to do with it. I switched from an IDE drive to a SATA one about a month ago and I noticed no real change in performance.

It's mostly your card. A 7900 GS is pretty low end among the 7900s. It's still a good card for UT3, but if you're looking for max details you're probably going to want something better. Generally only the 7900 GTX can get away with max details at about 60 FPS. UT3 seems to REALLY love 8800 series cards though; any of those is more than suitable for max details. For the record, I have an old-style 8800 GTS 640, and online my framerate is nearly always hitting the framecap of 90 FPS. Only on select maps (such as DM-Shangrila in the courtyard) does it dip to perhaps 70. Very rarely does it ever go lower, usually only in an extreme firefight.

You can also try turning down the rez and seeing if that'll help your framerates.

1. My 7900gs is overclocked. I can play BioShock at full details and get a steady 45 FPS @ 800 x 600. I can run Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 at full details and get a steady 60 FPS @ 960 x 600 (widescreen / windowed mode). I can run Crysis at high details (texture detail = medium though) and get a steady 31 FPS @ 800 x 600.
2. The variable performance I was talking about doesn't have to do with my video card, it's the fact that the minute I get into a firefight, I can't see sh*t (my FOV is set to 100), and it's made worse when there's massive hitching.
3. As mentioned earlier, I do run at very crap resolutions as it is.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Me and Brizz go "way" back. He'll say something stupid, I'll call him out, there will be an argument, I'll give up because I don't care enough. Repeat ad infinitum.

He's retarded. :)
You'll make a point. It will be wrong. I'll call you on it. You'll call it Brizz Logic and run away. But nice try.

I'd like anyone to try and prove that UT2004 was any more popular than UT3 is. You're going to have a hard time traveling that road, though. You can follow up by trying to prove that UT2003 was more popular than UT3.

And if you're gong to try to tell me that bots or demo players count, or that 100 players makes a difference, go get a life, please :) Oh, and I suppose we ought not count mods that came out over 8 months after the game came out, if we're being fair :p

Molgan

T-minus whenever
Feb 13, 2008
Sweden
www.apskaft.com
I'd like anyone to try and prove that UT2004 was any more popular than UT3 is. You're going to have a hard time traveling that road, though. You can follow up by trying to prove that UT2003 was more popular than UT3.

And if you're gong to try to tell me that bots or demo players count, or that 100 players makes a difference, go get a life, please :)

At times ut2004 still has 3 times as many players (yes, live players, not bots) compared to UT3, and ut2004 now is allmost dead compared to UT2004 back then. You need to come up with proof that everyone remember things wrong instead of repeating this "2k4 count bots" thing like a parrot. And correct me if I'm wrong, but servers that was unlinked from the masterserver or had stats tracking off back then didn't count in the game stats. There were a lot of servers like that.

UT2004 never had player counts anyway near any of the bigger online fps titles, but pretending that UT3 is above the knees of 2k4 is foolishness. And if you're going to try to tell me that PS3 players count, go get a life, please. :)