Good luck Ms. Palin.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Zd_Phoenix_

Queen of BuFdom
May 1, 2001
Over the street. With binoculars.
Visit site
Wow that was fascinating (to me :p ) ... first of all though:

WORST MODERATOR EVER. Seriously dreadful job there, couldn't believe it how she butchered the flow of the debate and didn't adapt to different themes as they came up.

So, Palin didn't set the podium on fire. Damn. She smiled, she recited the material she's learned, she even countered a couple of more complicated points pretty well. The wink made me think of Tina Fey, I was almost expecting the pew pew pew with the pistol gestures.

What she actually said was ropey on quite a few occasions but I don't think that the substance mattered with her, the only thing she needed to do was not mess up. She did give a classic nonsensical introduction to the nuclear issue and their affects, and she did seem to panic when Biden pointed out she'd wandered into the wrong party when it came to her answer on gay rights and deflected to marriage ... but I don't think anyone will really care.

Joe Biden ... STOP TALKING ABOUT YOURSELF IN THE THIRD PERSON. I thought he did very well, but that made me cringe every time. He didn't really do well countering the some of the more blatantly constructed attacks from Palin (or rather her handlers) - things like the charges of not being straight talking were only ponderously countered - but I was surprised at how well he impacted on countering the old 'folksy is better than smart' kind of lines. At first he was boring me to tears, but he was more dynamic later on.

I'm a bit worried though that just in terms of expectations that Palin won that ... which is a depressing standard. :(

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
All Palin did was recite good lines that were clearly spoon-fed to her.
She was quite concentrated on remembering the points she had been given to fill the time she needed to speak. She avoided answering the moderators questions directly and when she would deny a claim made by Biden she would only follow it up with talking points and switch focus, ignoring the need for any attempt at backing her side with evidence.

Biden spoke on issues with a rounded wealth of information, answered questions directly, responded to (and dished out) claims with real numbers and evidence as to voting records and policies as a whole.

Palin was left scrambling for the "tactic" of tugging at Joe Six Pack's pant legs with those little campy comments about the family gathering around the table on mainstreet. She didn't say a whole lot.

Biden could have pounced on her much more but instead showed remarkable restraint, allowing for her to ramble on down her discombobulated path of talking points + folky attitude + flat lie about her oppositions intentions.

_Zd_Phoenix_

Queen of BuFdom
May 1, 2001
Over the street. With binoculars.
Visit site
Biden could have pounced on her much more but instead showed remarkable restraint, allowing for her to ramble on down her discombobulated path of talking points + folky attitude + flat lie about her oppositions intentions.

I think this was a massive mistake. I know there was the worry of him seeming to 'beat up a woman' on tv or something, but I think that softly softly approach will have helped the Republicans. The doubt was already there in people's minds about her competency, but I think it needed to be solidified by really pointing out just how much she was feeding the camera soundbites with a smile.

Because this wasn't done, I reckon there are going to be a hell of a lot of people out, those who can't digest the substance, that're just going to see the style. They'll see that she can give an answer that sounds right and with almost proper sentences, and that she was holding a baby at the end. I'll be pretty surprised if this doesn't begin to reverse some of the huge swings to Obama in the polls over the last few days in states like North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio, Florida ...

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
What exactly were you all expecting?

This time last year, Biden was running for President and talking about presidential issues. He did the same in 1988. He's been a Senator since 1973 and Senators are famous for talking and talking.

He did better at talking about specifics and being a smooth politician. She did better at connecting and acting like a normal human being that got drafted into a role ten orders higher than the one she held just six weeks ago.

All that matters is that you either like or dislike what you believe they are going to do when they get into office. All I heard was talking points and blowing political smoke. I could almost tell you what the next retort or comment was going to be. Once again... :zzz:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Wow, I guess people were getting a lot more out of this debate than I did. The only thing I heard that even remotely caught my attention was when Biden was saying that a troop surge in Afghanistan would fail and then suggested that bringing more troops to Afghanistan was necessary. Bleh.

No clear winner here, sadly. I thought Palin did fine given the context. I thought Biden did fine, though he seemed pretty nonchalant about his voting history.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
This time last year, Biden was running for President and talking about presidential issues. He did the same in 1988. He's been a Senator since 1973 and Senators are famous for talking and talking.

yea no ****... really all considered, it could be argued that she won :D

[PSI]Snow White

Jan 30, 2008
All Palin did was recite good lines that were clearly spoon-fed to her.
She was quite concentrated on remembering the points she had been given to fill the time she needed to speak. She avoided answering the moderators questions directly and when she would deny a claim made by Biden she would only follow it up with talking points and switch focus, ignoring the need for any attempt at backing her side with evidence.

Biden spoke on issues with a rounded wealth of information, answered questions directly, responded to (and dished out) claims with real numbers and evidence as to voting records and policies as a whole.

Palin was left scrambling for the "tactic" of tugging at Joe Six Pack's pant legs with those little campy comments about the family gathering around the table on mainstreet. She didn't say a whole lot.

Five weeks vs. 35 years? The main street media can spin all they want, but most of those who watched IMO will say Sarah won.

Apr 11, 2006
Didn't bother watching it. General reaction I've heard so far has been Palin won. Funny how that disagrees with the MSM coverage.

Most interesting? Joe Biden, Constitutional Lawyer, making repeated mistakes about Constitutional issues. Coverage nil.

unbecoming

The Money U Could Be Saving W/out Barry
Jan 21, 2008
St.Louis,MO
She pwned him

Biden won it. Hands down. She did a good deal better than I expected but most of her answers seemed like memorized responses, while Biden's seemed more genuine. Of course we all know politicians are full of poop....

Funny how I and everyone I've talked to so far thought the exact opposite.Hands down even.She owned him and shes a noob at Washington style politics.

Actually it was Biden that was spewing lines(many about Bush)and Palin that seemed to be speaking directly to the American people which is easy to do if you're being honest.Biden just talked to Gwen who's writing yet another book on Obama.No bias there.Palin connects with average America.McCain has a shot now.

Funny how Biden did the same thing as Obama when he got called out on some of his previous comments and voting record-Just smile,shake your head,and brush it off.You could just feel the tension building on him as the debate went on.

The talking puppet politician is a big turn off for many people I know.She seems more down to earth and I trust her moreso than the other ticket to do the right thing if elected.Biden lies,distorts,and exaggerates often.

We need both parties to work together as much as possible to get stuff done.Obama and Biden will not cross the line for anything as far as I can tell.

I wish there was another debate,but I'd say Biden doesn't.There were a couple of times where she wiped his big fake smile right off his face.Priceless expressions.

I was hoping Biden would show his true colors.Unbutton the top few buttons,show the chain,hairy chest and fly off the handle when things are going his way,but he held his composure.30 years of practice I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.