Mark Rein "Excited for Unreal Tournament Comeback"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
The news brought hal back so at least something good happened already :)

As for UT, if it's not 2k4 remade on UE4 I'll do a Rhod Gilbert bah! :mad:

Last edited:

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
3o77om2g2ns7snm4g.jpg

I have this old wallpaper I did long time ago, the full hd size original I lost when My hdd crash. This version is more tiny not full hd....

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
I speculate they will make the source code available to the community, thus whatever people want can easily be made.
Whatever they release I presume will be a good base to start at least (for modding)

I'm already running UE4 from the source code I downloaded and compiled myself, as well as the shooter example.

I found this.. is this an easter egg? :)
CzzrEXZ.jpg

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I doubt they'll release the source code, and the gameplay source is already available for UT3 anyway, so it's not like you need it anyway.

It's possible that's a ported particle system used as a test.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I speculate they will make the source code available to the community, thus whatever people want can easily be made.
Whatever they release I presume will be a good base to start at least (for modding)
I haven't posted my actual thoughts on what this announcement will be, but this is getting fairly close to what I think.

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
I'd rather a brand new UT title than a straight UE4 remake of the original UT, as I don't believe a modern audience will be able to handle pure UT gameplay. I hate to suggest catering to the lowest common denominator, but EPIC would need to approach this delicately, with careful consideration about how FPS gameplay has evolved (or devolved) over the last 7 years. Maybe they could find a happy medium to ease the masses back into arena shooters, closer to UT2004 gameplay. I reckon it would be in the best interests of the series to exclude vehicles though.

Personally I think the first thing they should realize is that they cant compete with call of duty. They need to focus on the multiplayer and the moddability. No need to make it a triple A title with a huge campaign. That will just be a money drain. Make it a 20 buck multiplayer focused game on release. No need for a huge budget if they do this right.

~SS~

May 5, 2014
Personally I think the first thing they should realize is that they cant compete with call of duty. They need to focus on the multiplayer and the moddability. No need to make it a triple A title with a huge campaign. That will just be a money drain. Make it a 20 buck multiplayer focused game on release. No need for a huge budget if they do this right.

As long as it has bots with quality AI and LAN functionality. I don't want a game that's forever at the mercy of on-line services and community. I don't see any reason not to have an old fashioned SP ladder, but I'm in absolute agreement with you that an SP campaign, with all the mocap etc. it entails, is poor allocation of resources in an Unreal Tournament title.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I agree with this, but this game is going to be made by content discoverability. They HAVE TO integrate Steam Workshop or something very similar (why reinvent the wheel here?) this time. Custom content is the coup de grace of the Unreal Engine and Unreal Tournament. It had better be the focus of this game.

On the other hand, letting it be too "open" could have its own drawbacks.

~SS~

May 5, 2014
I agree with this, but this game is going to be made by content discoverability. They HAVE TO integrate Steam Workshop or something very similar (why reinvent the wheel here?) this time. Custom content is the coup de grace of the Unreal Engine and Unreal Tournament. It had better be the focus of this game.

On the other hand, letting it be too "open" could have its own drawbacks.

Having it tied into something like steam would be terrible and completely unnecessary. Custom content worked just fine in UT2004. Oblivion is another example, the custom content community thrived without any "help".

And EPIC needs to stick to their zero DRM principles for UT. The UT games always ended up being DRM free and then UT3 was that way right from the beginning which was even better.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Having it tied into something like steam would be terrible and completely unnecessary. Custom content worked just fine in UT2004. Oblivion is another example, the custom content community thrived without any "help".
No it didn't. Custom content discoverability has always been a huge problem in UT, getting the right version of X mod so you don't have to download it just to have to download it.. and do I even need to go on? Even if it is a platform they build themselves, they need something like Steam Workshop if this is actually going to succeed, and that is only one small part of what they are going to need.

Oblivion is a really bad example. Skyrim has Steam Workshop and it is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier to find and install mods, keep them up to date, find reviews, and a ton of other things with Steam Workshop. I'd be willing to wager that most PC Oblivion players never even used a single mod, while I'd be surprised if most Skyrim players haven't tried at least one. In particular if this is going to rely heavily on the community, not having that stuff in 2014 will kill the game dead before it even starts.
And EPIC needs to stick to their zero DRM principles for UT. The UT games always ended up being DRM free and then UT3 was that way right from the beginning which was even better.
The original UT was the only UT without DRM. UT3 required a Gamespy account to even play the game. How is that "even better"?

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Steam workshop is really nice for installing mods. It may mean a little more work for the developers, but for the average user it is very simple. Various games on steam with small custom content is easily installed.

I can imagine for UT it would be just as easy; press the subscribe button and next time you load the game your new mutator or map has appeared.

Also while UT2004 was simple to install most stuff (folder names and file extensions were pretty straightforward), UT3 was a confusing mess. Some things had to go into the UT3 install folder, some had to go into the UT folder in "my documents", and from there it got worse. Getting custom skins to work usually required messing with the character code.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
The original UT was the only UT without DRM. UT3 required a Gamespy account to even play the game. How is that "even better"?

No it didn't. There's a cancel button. Plus GameSpy integration doesn't require you to run a third party program in the background, nor to accept that third party program's terms of service.

If they integrated Steam Workshop *without* Steam, that would mean it's DRM-free. But I don't see that happening. And I refuse to buy games that use DRM, Steam's most of all, so if UT4 had a hard requirement for DRM then I wouldn't buy it, period.

On the other hand, if you're right about them releasing the source, then anyone can mod away the Steam integration and that's that.

~SS~

May 5, 2014
Sorry for the OT, but can anyone tell me why I am unable to post anywhere on BUF except for (apparently) this one thread ("you don't have permission...") and I can't change my avatar or anything like that?

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Steam Workshop is probably one of the best things that could possibly ever happen to the Unreal modding community. I've had a chance to work with it on a few other games and it is absolutely amazing how nice it is for modders. The fact that I can literally release an alpha version of my map and have it automatically update to every single person who has it downloaded instead of releasing a new version of my map under a new name and having most ppl playing completely different versions of my map every time I update is awesome. It strongly encourages modders to update their work and if done properly it ensures that you don't run into issues with mismatched versions of your map. I REALLY hope the do have steam workshop implemented if the game is being released on steam.