You want a better ut3? ok then.......

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
The following is a post i made on the epic forums, i immediately got flamed and the thread was locked before i could make any replies. I've lurked here for long enough to see that there is a lot of serious discussion and i think my opinions will be given a fairer go. So here you go! Ignore the face stuff, epic has delivered on that note.
So why the hell is this game called "unreal tournament 3"?

The story has nothing to do with a tournament! While the story itself is above average (Although implemented in a shoddy way of course) i don't see how it relates to the tournament at all. And what the hell happened at the end anyway? Is that supposed to be a cliffhanger? I really hope not, cause that indicates epic is going to continue the story.

Okokokok. The gameplay and maps are smooth. I was at first sceptical that anything could be better then hyperblast, but deimos is really 1337, thumbs up to whoever made that map. The remake of hydro is very fun, it is a bit small, but still a success. Omnicron dawn has great atmosphere and great gameplay. I was never much of a fan of coret, but the new look is great. The torlan remix is average, i can't really see any improvements but nothing about it is bad. The warfare maps over all are quite fun, and in some cases unique. The added side objectives make it a definate improvement over onslaught, the orb was a good idea and it works well too. But i still can't see warfare replacing assault. Oh yeah, deck with no number after its name was funny, it is also a great remix.

The characters epic included were nice, but i need more. Also, wikipedia says there is a race called "Blood hunters" that comes with the collectors edition only. True? False?

The music is roxxorific, but i think it should change to a fast paced tempo the moment someone hits you or someone comes into your line of site. What is the point of pumping me up with techno if i've already killed my target?

Now, the thing which I will never forgive epic for: No ctf-face.
Every Ut so far has had face in one form or another, WTF were epic thinking leaving that out? I've seen other threads around here that complain about this, and there are all those online players that say "And its a good thing they did leave it out". I know the comebacks people, so don't reply with the same crap all over again.

I read that epic is planning to do face in a bonus pack, if so, they have my forgiveness (Cause my feelings count the most ;) ).

On the note of bonus pack, i have suggestions.
1. Make it so that the maps have nothing to do with taryd or omnicron plz. The success of previous unreal titles was in its diverse and grand level locations, having them all located on 2 planets kills the whole "grand galaxy wide tournament" thing.
2. Redo all the existing maps map descriptions. I know it is a small thing, but most of the descriptions are to do with the campaign, and they just don't fit with the whole tournament thing. Make it so that the campaign retains ITS version of the map descriptions, but whenever you go to instant action the map descriptions are different. Some map descriptions are fine as they are, eg deimos, its description references taryd and all, but not specifically the campaign. But some levels are utter bull, talking about how "If you win this fight, izanagi will have access to more armour" and all that crap. In instant action, you are playing in a tournament - not participating in a war, that is for the campaign mode. So essentially just change the map descriptions for instant action where appropriate.
3. Add a real tournament mode. UC2 had its tournament mode. That was good, although i disagred with the fact that it still retained a background story and didn't like how it was set up. That tournament mode was needed to give the game the rights to the title it was using. UT3 has no tournament mode at all and thus is not a UT game. A tournament mode could be simple: just wack up a ladder involving EVERY map in the game. What happens is that upon selecting "new tournament", you are taken to the customize character screen. Whoever you choose defines your team al a UT1 and instant action. The map descriptions in this mode would be the new ones as described in point 2. Thundercrash, corrupt, and necris teams should not be allowed to be chosen. (Bring back thundercrash in bonus pack, Xan as well)
I know that it would be just as shoddy a single player experience as previous UT's, but i still think that SOMETHING needs to be done along these lines otherwise this game is not UT3.
4. Add the ability to make custom node configs again, and introduce more warfare maps that have MORE nodes and more complex link setups.
5. Bring back more classic characters and invent some new ones.
6. Bring back face in SOME form, be it a faceclassic, a face ][ remake or a totally new face 4

There are various other nitpicky problems which have been identified on these forums, like the way you have to fire rockets and the scorpians wierd projectile. These should be changed too but they should be in a patch.

Ok, over all epic has made a great game. As a sequal it delivers on gameplay but doesn't hold up plotwise at all. I am a singleplayer gamer, so plot is a big thing for me alongside gameplay. So epic, plz read ponts 2 and 3, they are what i consider to be the most important things and doing what i recommend should remedy the whole "Why is this called Unreal tournament 3?" issue. Point 1 is also a requirement. Following with the whole "galaxy wide torunament" idea requires a galaxy wide tournament, so 2 planets will not suffice. However, i could live with this if you chose not to do it.

Anyway, GG everybody!

So, what do you think? I'm a real story nut, so i get overworked about inconsistant map descriptions.

Last edited:

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
1. Make it so that the maps have nothing to do with taryd or omnicron plz. The success of previous unreal titles was in its diverse and grand level locations, having them all located on 2 planets kills the whole "grand galaxy wide tournament" thing.

+1

2. Redo all the existing maps map descriptions.

Doesn't matter at this stage.

You can be sure Malcolm is coming at least.

dura1198

Feb 18, 2008
I agree the single player and it's story are weak but I've never played this game for the single player so this was not a deal breaker for me. Deimos? Not a big fan. Never played Assault either so whether or not Warfare fills that hole in my life, again not a concern (for me). I can't comment on the Blood Hunter thing...don't think they made it into the game but the wiki page I looked at did not refer to them either. I turn music off immediately on most games but the short time I did have it enabled I thought it was great. I too like the old tournament style but online play is my ultimate measuring stick. Personally i'm gonna hang in there and hope they continue to patch the game and add content.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
You want a serious discussion, here you go...

The story has nothing to do with a tournament! While the story itself is above average (Although implemented in a shoddy way of course) i don't see how it relates to the tournament at all. And what the hell happened at the end anyway? Is that supposed to be a cliffhanger? I really hope not, cause that indicates epic is going to continue the story.

Originally the story was suppose to take plac during a tournament, only to be interrupted by the Necris invasion. Of course there was suppose to be an RTS-type Conquest gametype and other races from the Unreal series. They rushed and cut out things to make the holiday deadline and it showed.

The warfare maps over all are quite fun, and in some cases unique. The added side objectives make it a definate improvement over onslaught, the orb was a good idea and it works well too. But i still can't see warfare replacing assault.

Since certain Warfare maps can be played as a two sided Assault game, why have reduncancy?

The characters epic included were nice, but i need more. Also, wikipedia says there is a race called "Blood hunters" that comes with the collectors edition only. True? False?

Only certain characters from Iron Guard are "exclusive" but can easily be unlocked by hacking files anyway...

And never assume anything on Wiki is 100% accurate...

The music is roxxorific, but i think it should change to a fast paced tempo the moment someone hits you or someone comes into your line of site. What is the point of pumping me up with techno if i've already killed my target?

Can't say much about using dynamic music based on mood except it worked better in Unreal to differentiate between the calm moments and when you come across a monster as oppose to just any type of action on a UT3 map. The straight out music from UT1 to UT2004 was just fine.

Now, the thing which I will never forgive epic for: No ctf-face.

I read that epic is planning to do face in a bonus pack, if so, they have my forgiveness (Cause my feelings count the most ).

To err is human, to forgive is divine.

On the note of bonus pack, i have suggestions.
2. Redo all the existing maps map descriptions. I know it is a small thing, but most of the descriptions are to do with the campaign, and they just don't fit with the whole tournament thing. Make it so that the campaign retains ITS version of the map descriptions, but whenever you go to instant action the map descriptions are different. Some map descriptions are fine as they are, eg deimos, its description references taryd and all, but not specifically the campaign. But some levels are utter bull, talking about how "If you win this fight, izanagi will have access to more armour" and all that crap. In instant action, you are playing in a tournament - not participating in a war, that is for the campaign mode. So essentially just change the map descriptions for instant action where appropriate.
3. Add a real tournament mode. UC2 had its tournament mode. That was good, although i disagred with the fact that it still retained a background story and didn't like how it was set up. That tournament mode was needed to give the game the rights to the title it was using. UT3 has no tournament mode at all and thus is not a UT game. A tournament mode could be simple: just wack up a ladder involving EVERY map in the game. What happens is that upon selecting "new tournament", you are taken to the customize character screen. Whoever you choose defines your team al a UT1 and instant action. The map descriptions in this mode would be the new ones as described in point 2. Thundercrash, corrupt, and necris teams should not be allowed to be chosen. (Bring back thundercrash in bonus pack, Xan as well)
I know that it would be just as shoddy a single player experience as previous UT's, but i still think that SOMETHING needs to be done along these lines otherwise this game is not UT3.
4. Add the ability to make custom node configs again, and introduce more warfare maps that have MORE nodes and more complex link setups.
6. Bring back face in SOME form, be it a faceclassic, a face ][ remake or a totally new face 4

All of which can easily be solved by people doing the remakes themselves. Just don't hold your breath because it takes way much longer to do a UT3 map than one from an older game.

Ok, over all epic has made a great game. As a sequal it delivers on gameplay but doesn't hold up plotwise at all. I am a singleplayer gamer, so plot is a big thing for me alongside gameplay.

Want single player? Get BioShock or even GoW. UT3 is a multiplayer game as TF2 is. The "single player" part is bolted on crap that's not even needed.

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
:)
BeatDeadHorse.gif

R.Flagg

Feb 15, 2000
Visit site
Pretty sure that's what was said.

But no, you can google it for yourself, I don't really care enough too, just to be honest. But to help you out, I believe it was in that article(s) where they were listing all the "****ed" things.

And .. based on what we've seen so far, I'd say that sounds just about right. It's been nearly half a year already, and there's a long way to go.

awaw

I didn't survive the '08 BUF crash
Jan 19, 2008
Originally the story was suppose to take plac during a tournament, only to be interrupted by the Necris invasion. Of course there was suppose to be an RTS-type Conquest gametype and other races from the Unreal series. They rushed and cut out things to make the holiday deadline and it showed.

While they planned to do that, I'd guess it's been removed because playing a tournament is just boring (for most people), as compared to playing after a real story, and putting a story inside a tournament doesn't really work.
This would mean, that many users would have to play the boring part of the single player before they could enter the interesting part.
Guaranteed even the story-driven part was far from something like COD4, but (IMHO) still 100 times better than a tournament.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I can't remember ever reading that they said they released it two years early and I read most of the Unreal related articles I bump into.
I Googled my ass off to try and find a similar statement and didn't find anything.

I think you mean this article?

Only thing being mentioned about a two year period is:
"...they[Midway] announced over two years before we shipped."

They obviously released too early, but I doubt it was planned for 2009 at any rate and by the above statement it looks like they planned to release around the time they actually did - though most people can guess that they released a touch ;) early for the afore mentioned holiday period.
(If it was Midway that did make them rush the game out (and my money would be on that) there's no way in hell they would ever say that was the case. Not whilst they are still Epic's publisher anyway. Maybe they would admit it after they get a better other publisher.)

Last edited: