Downloads and 56k slodem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

epidemic[UoA]

Aug 14, 2000
NC
Visit site
I Played quakeII for 2 years and downloaded a lot of maps
with my 56k slodem but. with UT if the download is interupted the data is lost.

Quake would just continue where it left off
does any one know if this can be fixed.

Ps when using shock rifle i cant hit the orb befor it gets
about 30 to 40 feet away. with a ping of 140. even on my own server. This is with almost simultanious press of the alt and fire. can any one help me speed this up.

LagMonster

-> MeStinkBAD
Jan 12, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
Bah! Fileplanet sux...

Fileplanet has a lot of files for a lot of games, but I HATE how it lists the download sites and then instantly autostarts downloading the file before you have a chance to select the download site. This is VERY user unfriendly! A download should start only when clicking a link. And that link should not first load another page and THEN start downloading. The link should also point directly to the file itself, not to some CGI script that redirects the browser to the file's real location.

Dustin

Game0rz

May 13, 2000
ahh all sites do that
you click the link to d/l it
it d/l's off ther server, if that is crappy you can cancel and try one of the mirror servers

Stosh

A legend in his own mind
Feb 9, 2000
Southern MD, US
clanci.xgshosting.com
I NEVER DOWNLOAD INGAME!!!!

I think on a lot of servers the files are not compressed..that can be a real pain, they always seem to take forever..

Most of the files at:
http://www.planetunreal.com/nalicity or
http://www.fileleech.com are 1mb or less. There are some that are 1 to 2mb but come on... those are very short downloads..I can always exit UT, DL and install the map, then get back into the game faster than the ingame dL. I make sure I save the server to my favorites so it's easy to find after I install the map.

epidemic[UoA]

Aug 14, 2000
NC
Visit site
how do you find the maps

Like with the tskmskins download I tried for weeks to find it in forums and web searches.

there is no reference to TSKMSKINS anywhere. some one was kind enough to tell me where to find it after i posted.
Do the Sites mentioned list maps by names or by map packs
and likewise with required skins like tskmskins.

PS TSKMSKINS and alike are in the epic bonus pack if any one is wondering

Stosh

A legend in his own mind
Feb 9, 2000
Southern MD, US
clanci.xgshosting.com
NaliCity is pretty good that way..I think it only has maps though... It breaks them down by game type...CTF, DOM, etc... then lists all of them alphabetically.

It pretty easy to find what your looking for... If you click on the rating it will give you a review of the map..

Regarding the skins thing..I don't really know the answer to that. I installed the Bonus and Inoxx maps as soon as they came out. You are right, I did a search a fileleech and found no references to tskmskins... Then again, that is what PuF is for... All of your UT questions answered...well, most of the time anyways..hehe :)

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
I have never downloaded from a server playing a map that I didn't have. I got most of my maps from Nali city and File planet. Never had a problem with interrupted downloads or anything like that, but if you are downloading a bunch of maps it helps if you have a friend with UT and if you both have CD writers. STALLONE and I will each download different maps and then copy the zips to a CD to share with each other. That's a lot faster than downloading on a 56 K.

admiral95

Jun 22, 2000
Little Elm, TX, USA
I rarely download from the UT server itself, and I'm on a cable modem. The only thing I'll download usually from a server is in the case of a skin, as in the case with your TSKMSKINS file. These are usually setup on the server and are a must if you want to get in. My suggestion, if it's a map, find it on the web, if it's anything else, just go ahead and let it tick away to download, otherwise just pick a different server.

|YFL|We@sel

Aug 7, 2000
Quebec, Canada
Visit site
the one and only way!

The best way to correct ur problem is to buy urself cable or DSL :) (though even with my cable the maps downloads on servers can be pretty slow, but sometimes they are suprisingly fast!)

epidemic[UoA]

Aug 14, 2000
NC
Visit site
GET DSL?????

Now thats funny.
I live in Moyock NC

Bwahahahahahahaha

man you talking about the sticks man

I have spoken to sprint and they replied with do we have
local service in moyock. I mean I go out side and shoot out my front door with my high powered sniper rifle and
dont have to worry if someone might get hurt.

I do have a concentrator on my property about 500 feet from the house but it dont offer dsl. my ISDN Connection is ok
but limited.

Cable modem is also not available through the MOM & POP
company that is there. hey today I took a mile walk to the front of my driveway and I saw a car. so we had a party to
celebrate the event.

But seriously I live off the beat and path about 5 miles from the C/O and when i was 56 k I got 53 k performance with the concentrator in my back yard. that is where i go digital. I dont know what that means reguarding the 4 mile
DSL Limit. I hope that it will eliminate the problem with being too far from the C/0

LagMonster

-> MeStinkBAD
Jan 12, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
A country boy, eh?

Practically everyone in this forum knows that DSL/Cable is faster than analog, so you don't have to point it out! If I COULD get a broadband connection, beleive me I would. And I'm sure most other people would too.

Epidemic, you *might* be able to get IDSL, which I don't know much about, but I beleive it can extend farther distances than standard DSL. Though, it's half as fast and costs a little (or a lot) more. It actually requires two copper pairs, rather than a single one. You still may not be able to get it, of course. Distance isn't the only factor. IMO, you should be glad that you can connect at 53K at all. I had to MOVE just to be able to connect at 49,333Kpbs rather than 26,400. You are luckier than you realize.

Dustin