Recommend a Bike?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
Today I discovered that I'm being kicked out of my student house 2 months earlier than I was meant to, which is no big deal seeing as I'll just live at home over the summer until the next term when I move somewhere new. This means however that I have 2 months worth of student loan rent money that will be going spare.

I've been planning on buying a bike for a while and been looking at hybrids around the £200 margin, but with this extra money I can probably increase this margin to about £500 and get something better.

I don't know a whole lot about bikes, so would anyone care to throw some recommendations my way? - It's mainly for road use but a hybrid would be handy as it make it a bit more versatile.

- and something that is widely sold would be handy too, seeing as I haven't really got any means of transportation to go too out of my way.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Probably not the best place to ask people about bike recommendations eh? :lol:

Even though I'm a Bike "half-amateur", owned quite a few like most of the people, I'm liking my aluminum frame Hybrid from Giant. There's always better, the question is in the quality and your needs, the switch from Mountain Bikes to Hybrid is rather harsh at first glance especially if you drive around harsh asphalt in your town, like I. It's always something to take big care of, along with the motorists.. I just try to cover as much service lane as I can before taking the sidewalk again.

If you have enough clean asphalt to drive on, definitively go for bigger and narrower wheeled bikes, they have a much better response.

Last edited:

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
Yeah, something with slim tires would probably be a good idea, seeing as the roads around here are fairly good, but I want something that is capable of going on rougher terrain if need be - I'm talking talking about really rough terrain though.

Before I found out that I'd have a bit more money to spend I was looking at something like this: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_762351_langId_-1_categoryId_165499#dtab

It sounded fairly suitable for my needs, but if I can get something better then why not.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I have a pretty nice custom made schwinn. Not sure about the quality of modern Schwinn mass production.

I used to like Canondale but that half a front yoke thing they have been doing lately looks like it is lacking in structural stability.

Gary Fisher makes some kickass bikes but good luck finding one at that price.

If you aren't serious about it (trying your hand at competitive riding) but you still want a good bike. My advice would be to buy one second hand at a pawn shop sort of place. Spend allot less verses the quality of the machine and maybe have money left over for something else cool.

togmkn

tog-em-kay-en
Jun 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I got a road bike for my last birthday, and it's been just awesome. It's this one, but if you're looking for something that can go on rough terrain it definitely wouldn't work for you. But if you have an older bike that you can use for riding trails, I'd recommend buying a nice road bike for commuting. They aren't as comfortable to sit on because you're a little hunched over, and you definitely have to dodge those potholes, but they're so much lighter and smoother than a mountain bike, its much more pleasant to ride overall. That's been my experience, anyway.
In America.
If you want a bike.
You just steel one ;)
Why steel when you can aluminum alloy?

BITE_ME said:
PS: Why would you ride some thing that smashes your balls, and hurts your ass?
Sounds like someone needs a softer girlfriend. Ba-dum tish.

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
Whatever you buy, just make sure it has gears.

Fixies are for fucking twats.

Last edited: