Unofficial technical weapon question forum.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Destructo6

Jan 11, 2002
Visit site
This is also the reason you should not fire you (military) rifle with the flash hider, since it also makes sure the front end of your barrel does not "split" open.

I don't understand this at all. Can you clarify?

What Gryphon said. Boiled down somewhat for quick consumption:

There are 2 types of firearms, Title 1 and Title 2.

Title 1 firearms can be owned, with no special licensing, by anyone that can legally own a firearm in their area. They are rifles with a barrel length no less than 16" and overall length of 26". Shotguns must have a barrel length of 18" and have the same overall length requirement as rifles. Pistols and so on.

Title 2 firearms are basically anything that doesn't fall into title1. Machineguns, short barreled shotguns (sawed-off), Short barreled rifles (SBR), etc.

It's a long, convoluted, and nasty group of laws and rulings that dictate what's available. It seems like a minefield sometimes, particularly when building something from parts.

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
The concept of a shotgun mounted under an AR-15 style rifle has been done and redone by several manufacturers. The Knight's Armament Masterkey will cost you around $1000 for the mount, shotgun not included. I still fail to see the point in it other than to look cool. If you need to breach doors, you shouldn't be doing it with a machine gun above the bore. If you need heavy firepower, hold the trigger down. An M203 would be far more practical in any case I think.

There's never been a factory suppressed PSG1 to my knowledge, and I seriously doubt someone would willingly start screwing around with the barrel on their $10,000 sniper rifle just to make it a tad more quiet. I know I sure wouldn't. Having said that, it's definitely doable and suppressors have been fitted to multitudes of HK rifles in the past (some factory, but very few). Sound suppression hasn't usually been a part of HK's expertise aside from a few specialized weapons such as the MP5SD.

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
SBR? No man, it's a pistol. Where'd you get the idea that it would be classified as an SBR??? Regardless, you'll never get one. FN is EXTREMELY sticky about who they sell those to along with the ammo. Even their master distributors can hardly lay a hand on one. I've managed to score a full box of 50 rounds of 5.7x28mm training ammo which I'm going to try and ship up here, but that's about the most I ever expect to get.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Well considering that 5.7mm ammo is evil cop killing teflon coated child eating mass murdering terrorism supporting long range CQB ammo, I wouldn't expect that the BATF would be too happy with FN selling it to anyone outside of the military. (In all seriousness for those that don't know (this is the "I don't know crap about guns" thread afterall), the 5.7mm round will defeat any kevlar that isn't accompanied by ceramics or something similar)

What I was expecting FN to do that they haven't done yet is rechamber the P90 for 9x19, slap a post-ban sized mag on it and start selling it to civillians. I'd think that they'd make quite a great deal of money from all the idiots who don't understand that it may look 1337, but it's really just an upside down MP5 without a roller locking mechanism.

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
I seriously doubt someone would willingly start screwing around with the barrel on their $10,000 sniper rifle just to make it a tad more quiet.
Considering how accurate the PSG-1 is off the shelf, a silencer would be a moot point if your target dies before s/he hears the report. ;)

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
Why are shotguns required to have a minimum barrel length?
Is there actually a legitimate safety concern or just to keep it from being easily concealed?

Scythe

I'd rather die than give you control.
Jan 13, 2001
about 30ft behind you.
Visit site
The 5.7 is a rifle round though isn't it, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the Five-seveN has a non-smooth barrel correct?

Um , no. In case you didn't know most pistol barrels are rifled.
even pellet guns are rifled. And being that there isn't a rifle (That I know of) which fires the 5.7mm round I dont think so.

That whole flash supressor causing a split in the barrel doesnt make any senceto me either.

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
If I may wager an uneducated guess I think Puncher's getting at that a flash suppressor would constrict the end of the barrel and cause adverse effects with the barrel expansion...

owlofdoom

Mar 18, 2000
hmm.......

time to answer what i know (very little. i am a n idiot)

okay, the blood groove are for more than just show, and are not to make the blade lighter. blood grooves have been around a long time, essentially to make it easier to bring out the blade after gutting someone with it. they still have em on olympic style sabers in fencing. hell, they go back even farther than the rapiers came about. anyways.....

okay, do shotgun-style shells exist for 40mm gren launchers?

and i know this is ambigous, but whats the deal with the 10mm ammuntion.

Destructo6

Jan 11, 2002
Visit site
Better than buckshot, fleshette rounds are available.

40-can-hvcc.jpg

Here are some more:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/40.htm

The barrel length thing is the same as all the other NFA rules: create criminals so the Treasury Dept had something to do after Prohibition. The NFA was passed in 1934, not long after Prohibition was repealed.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
Something nice too :
12-76.jpg

Also available for rifle:
fipbullet.jpg

I know winchester did something similar, but those are maybe better.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
As far as I know, you can't supress an AK-47, AKM or even an AK101 for that matter.

There are some AK varients that are specifically made to fire a special type of ammunition that is literally silent. I think it's called the OC-19, but I'm not quite sure.