Stubburn people, UT3 won't run.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal4Eva

BioHazard!
May 19, 2009
Just as the title says. I have a Dell Inspirion 530 Desktop and someone is skeptical saying any game will run on it as long as you install a graphics card :rolleyes:

Anyway here is the specs of this computer:
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 32-bit

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 450 @ 2.20GHz

Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

Total RAM: 2.0 GB.

Now, can someone tell me what's wrong and why the game isn't working? Also, please put the Official System Specs for UT3 in your comments. Thanks

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Graphics card is the problem, you haven't got one. Official minimum is a Geforce 6 (6600 or 6800), but realistically you want an 8 series minimum (8600 or 8800). Be aware that Gamespy no longer exists so it's no longer possible to log into UT3.

Edit: also, any game won't run. That machine is very underpowered, and desperately needs more memory if you're running Win 7. UT3 may run you out of memory when you get it to run...

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I'm guessing you live under a rock :p

They went bankrupt.

Back on topic though, the machine you have there is barely adequate to run the version of Windows you're using, I initially assumed it was a cheap netbook when I read the specs. I would get rid of it.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
The Gamespy master server is still running.
Without it the UT99 servers would not be visible as the Epic server is not working properly.

Celerons are the budget versions of the intel CPUs.
But your biggest problem is the intel GFX, especially if you try to use OpenGL.
I wouldn't even bother to run Ut2004 on an ex-office PC.
http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/inspiron-530/pd
It took a while to find anywhere that listed the actual spec of the GFX in that model.
128MB maximum, is not useful for anything these days.

Adding another Gig or 2 of RAM, and getting a reasonable nVivia or ATI GFX card will help loads.

Commenting that Windows 7 not suitable is dumb, as it would have been installed with Vista, so is obviously much better !

I would personally just install Linux and not use it for games at all.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
More than one machine specification has carried the moniker 'Inspiron 530'. Many have had dedicated graphics sets, some have not, and many have had different processors. This particular processor cost around $50 at retail when it first released. The memory controller and graphics set will be either an 82945 or 82946, there's not much difference between them, and this will have cost around $30 when the processor released.

The machine was almost a paperweight back when it was first manufactured in 2008 / 2009. You could add something like an 8600 / 8800, but even that will could possibly be bottle-necked by the processor. I wouldn't upgrade it, I'd chuck it out.

Commenting that Windows 7 not suitable is dumb, as it would have been installed with Vista, so is obviously much better !

Vista 32-bit memory requirements are lower than 7 32-bit (448MB versus 1GB), so no, it's not dumb. When you have 2GB of memory total, that's a difference of losing 22% to the operating system versus 50% to the operating system.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I had words with a few people yesterday, and yes, UT3's master server is recently back online and being fixed. UT's master server Gamespy integration is apparently supposed to follow suit soonish.