Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I'd like to see him take on a hunter or smoker in the first part, seems like he just tried until he didn't meet any.

images

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Having spent an hour and a half with several of us tonight trying to make it through Dead Air on expert, I am both amazed and dismayed by this discovery:

Dead Air Expert Solo Speed Run (15:41 seconds). No glitching used really, but some very clever maneuvers around/through stand offs. :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMClhqEe6G0 Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAGRtDkkBnk Part 2 (finale)

Nice find Hal

Here's one of No Mercy where the guy also plays it rather than the, 'hide between the wall & vent' one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwFM-oVZkus&feature=related

Maybe worth mentioning you can't take those shortcuts if the bots are alive.
Type 'kick Francis' etc into the console.

I have yet to complete any expert finale :(

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
I'd like to see him take on a hunter or smoker in the first part, seems like he just tried until he didn't meet any.

He says in the comments that he's moving fast enough that they mostly spawn behind him.

I'm in awe personally, given the fickle nature of the Director & the unforgiving nature of Expert generally.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
I watched that Expert speed run and cant help but think a few of those tricks he used might be fixed by Valve in a patch, if they know about it. For example the van pushing you through the fence without hurting you.

Also, I'm surprised at the general lack of zombies he encountered. I guess they all spawned behind him or something. There were no zombie rush moments, apart from the scripted ones I mean. Still, thats pretty cool.

I suggest running through on easy to find all the ledges and odd places to jump to in order to circumvent areas and get ahead quicker then run it on expert.

Edit: I just tried what that guy did on expert. I have determined that what he had was simply pure luck. I guess he redid it enough times to have the zombies situated in such a way that he was able to run through. For example the last half of chp 3 in dead air, right before the safe room, the airport was practically empty.

The furthest I made it was the crane in chp 2 of Dead Air. First of all I'd like to know how he was able to run so fast without being interrupted.

Frequently I would try to run through an area only to get 'stunned' by zombie hits and get swarmed. The zombies on expert come at you from a good distance away so even in areas with minimal zombies they still come running. They've been able to outrun me at times which is why I wonder how he was able to run so fast. Also, there were a few occasions where I could swear that the zombies purposefully ran in front of me, headed me off at the pass, so that I would get slowed down so the rest of the hoard could catch up.

In areas where there were too many zombies I didn't have a pipe bomb because I can only carry 1 and used it previously. I stopped to try and kill a few so I could run through, but that gave the director AI plenty of time to spawn the zombie rush event and throw in a few infected. I'm usually able to deal with these rushes, but again this ties in with how he was able to run ahead so fast. He said that he went so fast the director AI spawned all the special infected behind him. Well, I wasn't able to accomplish that and they were frequently spawned in front of me, even when I was able to get a good speed going where there were no zombies.

This leads me to my last point which is part of the director spawning; special infected. A few times the director AI spawned special infected like tanks and witches right in a hallway with no way around. Dead.

So I have to wonder how many times he tried before he encountered the perfect setup to do this.

Lastly, I'd like to get in on some of the BU L4D action, and also get an invite to the BU group. I've tried to find my steamid. Anyone know where its listed? For now my steam nickname is Borgelite. I'm the guy with the Opus avatar.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I'm borderline getting this game. I see how you guys have fun and all the good concerns about the game that I feel like grabbing it. I need a new online game, and COD4 is starting to grow old on me, to the point of not even being fun but more frustrating overall. I just want fun.

I'll be downloading it via Steam later tonight.
I guess there won't be a price drop anytime soon?

Last edited:

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
Lastly, I'd like to get in on some of the BU L4D action, and also get an invite to the BU group. I've tried to find my steamid. Anyone know where its listed? For now my steam nickname is Borgelite. I'm the guy with the Opus avatar.
open up a steam window, go to community, and view your profile. There should be the url of your account in the address bar. Mine for instance is http://steamcommunity.com/id/agentfive. I would expect yours to be something similar.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
... *snip* ...I have to wonder how many times he tried before he encountered the perfect setup to do this...

Yup I agree with you & have had much the same experience.

I really thought it was all over for the No Mercy guy when he got boomered waiting for the chopper to land.

edit// just watched Dead Air pt 2 again his stats at the end say it took him just over 2 hours with 29 restarts & 2416 zombies killed in total.

I can't make out the special infected numbers but they're all in double figures.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
This game is actually fun indeed. It really requires "this" good moment in versus mode to break the whole team apart. When the tank showed I got my luck on Zoey. No nom nom, princess meal.

[SCREENSHOT]http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7946/princessmealvg0.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

One thing I'm wondering though, can you go on the horde when you died as a survivor? That's what I've been wondering, because a survivor got served big time at the beginning of a round. I lmao'ed about it but then thought about he might just wanted a team switch. Then Zoey "cried" about his death.

I like how this game is actually making you care about everything except the main zombies. I got my whole team killed because I accidentally hit a car which triggered the alarm. But then a teammate went dumb and left the whole team to get pined by a Hunter.

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Thats what I thought. I've seen people post their ID as a string of numbers so thats what I thought I had to find.

By default your Steam ID is a string of numbers, but you can "customize" your profile and give yourself a different ID.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
One thing I'm wondering though, can you go on the horde when you died as a survivor?

I like how this game is actually making you care about everything except the main zombies.

You cannot go to the infected side when you die and remain on the survivor team. If there's an open spot, however, you may be able to switch at that point.

Standard infected aren't so much of a concern at normal difficulty because of the low damage that they deal. If you aren't careful though, you can be caught in the open and they can bring you to a halt making you easy pickings for special infected.

In expert mode, however, standard infected shouldn't be treated lightly at all as they deal 20 damage per hit.

Zimmy

TGMZ

I'm fairly certain that your ID is the email address that you sign into Steam with minus the @whatever.blah bit.

You can run through the game just leaving your buddies behind, I've done it a few times on normal and it's how I got the Do Not Disturb achievement. Just leave your team mates to deal with the infected and you'll frequently be running through empty areas. It's really fun to speed run through the sewers and be sat in the hospital saferoom watching the tiny halos of your team mates still in the middle of the lift bit. The only real problem is tanks which have a set spawn point but theyre usually pretty easy to dodge.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Standard infected aren't so much of a concern at normal difficulty because of the low damage that they deal. If you aren't careful though, you can be caught in the open and they can bring you to a halt making you easy pickings for special infected.

Yeah they sure serve something. I've been having some issues moving out of a hole once from the airport assault because of them after I helped a teammate down there as well. By the way, that place is a low FPS nightmare, especially when the plane crash. Most of the time I have a steady 60 FPS or so, then someone will use a Molotov in a big room, everything will go crazy on the framerates. I'll try to down the particle effects a bit see if that helps.

In expert mode, however, standard infected shouldn't be treated lightly at all as they deal 20 damage per hit.

:eek:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
:eek: indeed. Going from versus to expert always shocks me, because I'm not careful enough and a bunch of normal zombies take me out no sweat. The hunter just needs to put in like 3 punches, and you're down for the count.

edit: :shock: != :eek:

Last edited: