Proof of Alien Life?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Mar 6, 2004
In a sense we could be approaching this from opposite but equally valid points of view. I see planet after planet that isn't Earth and doesn't have life, so the hypothesis 'every planet that isn't Earth doesn't have life' is what I'm working with for now. And for your part, you seem to be operating on 'one out of a few planets we've examined closely has life; at this rate there is almost surely another life-containing planet given an unfathomable number of planets'. My instincts tell me that this is Earth-biased thinking, but I can't pin down a solid argument against it. I award you one point for making me reconsider.

Just promise me you will never say this again so long as you may live:

You're under the assumption that every life has to be like ours. I'm not that familiar with evolution but didn't we evolve because of the right conditions? same thing on other planets. Wont be human like, but other conditions they can evolve on. The universe is far too big to only be us. I'm sure there are many many breathable earth with evolution conditions growing on those also.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
As of right now, we know of over 400 extrasolar planets, and I'm certain that there are far more than that per star. It is most likely that the first alien life that we discover will be microorganisms, but we have also found that H2O is far more common in the universe than initially believed when our astronomy programs were at best fledgling in nature. It is all too possible that there are countless planets with microorganisms, but not complex life. It is also likely that the first multicellular organisms we will discover will be plant-like or fungus-like.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Grafik, of course my thinking is "Earth-biased." I'm an Earthling.
but that's beside the point. you're being obtuse.
I guess because you find it amusing and it helps propel the discussion. so instead of continuing to tug at your bait, I'm just going to go ahead with the following little spiel.

this is the Hubble Ultra Deep Field
click for a very high-res picture

it's a picture of the sky that I'm sure many people are familiar with.
but this picture only represents
one thirteen-millionth of the total area of the sky. despite capturing such an insignificant sliver of space, this single picture contains approximately 10,000 different galaxies each of which contains billions of stars supporting billions of planets providing an innumerable amount of different habitats and environmental climates.

if life on Earth has taught us one thing, it's that life fights and strives to exist and continue wherever remotely possible; and it doesn't have to look anything like human life. as soon as those first autonomous molecules begin to move around and seek sustenance under their own power, then more advanced life will surely follow given time and stability. it's simply a matter of observable science in our world combined with mathematical probability based on that science. if you stop and truly consider the numbers and the evidence, then I don't know how any reasonable person can arrive at any other conclusion.

let's take it a step further.
I see planet after planet that isn't Earth and doesn't have life, so the hypothesis 'every planet that isn't Earth doesn't have life' is what I'm working with for now.
here's the problem: you actually don't see every planet that isn't Earth.

you've seen the other planets in our solar system and you've seen a handful that have been discovered outside of it. but even of those, all you have "seen" are crude satellite images taken of certain areas by a space probe which itself is nowhere near the planet it is photographing (in terms of physical distance).

how do you know what you've seen?
you haven't seen anything.
humans have been studying the sky since the dawn of humanity and all we know for certain is that;

• 8 planets do not contain life
  • 1 does
  • xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx are still unaccounted for
given the relatively limitless combinations for life that exist in the universe, it's just dumb to believe that it ONLY happened here on Earth.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
No I am not.

By quoting you here I pointed out an unfounded assumption without making things up. Try this method next time.

I was make an assumption, one that makes sense. Earth life should be more then enough to believe in life on other planets. Unless you believe "god" did it, which i don't think you do.

I see planet after planet that isn't Earth and doesn't have life, so the hypothesis 'every planet that isn't Earth doesn't have life' is what I'm working with for now.

There is the assumption i was talking about. Everything has to be "earth based" according to the hypothesis because Earth is all we have working for us.

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
I was make an assumption, one that makes sense. Earth life should be more then enough to believe in life on other planets.

Have you been reading this thread? At all?

Everything has to be "earth based" according to the hypothesis because Earth is all we have working for us.

What? Make some sense out of your statements or I will ignore you.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
8 planets do not contain life
We don't even know that for certain. We just assume that the probability of life on those planets is low because we can make educated guesses about the chemical compositions of the atmosphere and surface of the planets.

Venus, as a prime example, likely has prime surface conditions for life but the chemical composition of the atmosphere is such that a carbon-based lifeform like a human would not be able to survive (although some scientists say there are probably trees and bushes there and doesn't flora kind of constitute life?). Doesn't really preclude any other kinds of life.

Mar 6, 2004
Have you been reading this thread? At all?

What? Make some sense out of your statements or I will ignore you.

Then ignore me because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Your whole arguement is about your assumption and i already quoted you on it.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Who gives a crap, honestly? Finding some random bacteria on a space rock is about as important as finding a new species of dung beetle. It's not like we can travel to another planet to explore to find more evidence. The physics are impossible to do so. Stop giving these nerds billions in funding.

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
Jacks, I really am that impossible. It's not a decision, it's who I am, and if I knew a way around it I would take it in a heartbeat. Imagine having to live inside my head.

if life on Earth has taught us one thing, it's that life fights and strives to exist and continue wherever remotely possible

That is true, though if I were to pick one thing that living on Earth has taught me it would be that the natural world's primary characteristic is a tendency toward tremendous wastefulness and destruction and chaos and indifference to life. I suppose I just see the glass as half empty.

As for our ignorance about other planets within our own solar system and the potential for life they might hold, point well made.

given the relatively limitless combinations for life that exist in the universe, it's just dumb to believe that it ONLY happened here on Earth.

Call me dumb then. I don't disbelieve that there is life elsewhere, I'm simply not compelled by the usual reasoning to think that there is. Perhaps we'll see one day.

Then ignore me

Okay.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
We don't even know that for certain. We just assume that the probability of life on those planets is low because we can make educated guesses about the chemical compositions of the atmosphere and surface of the planets.

Venus, as a prime example, likely has prime surface conditions for life but the chemical composition of the atmosphere is such that a carbon-based lifeform like a human would not be able to survive (although some scientists say there are probably trees and bushes there and doesn't flora kind of constitute life?). Doesn't really preclude any other kinds of life.

There is a chance that in the Sun's earlier years when it was not so hot that Venus sustained life while Earth was too cold. In due time, Earth will get too hot as the Sun grows older, and as it gets older and hotter itself, it may melt the ice caps in Mars and Mars may turn into the next habitable planed as Earth bakes itself.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Who gives a crap, honestly? Finding some random bacteria on a space rock is about as important as finding a new species of dung beetle. It's not like we can travel to another planet to explore to find more evidence. The physics are impossible to do so. Stop giving these nerds billions in funding.

u mad?

Without those nerds and the billions of monies that’s thrown at them we wouldn’t have the wonderful wonderful Teflon on our pots and pans

LOL!

Staward

Lauda tuus animus
Jan 31, 2008
-23° 58' 3.15" -46° 20' 32.07"
I think there would be life similar to the ones on earth. The theory says we came as microorganisms from outer space and started evolving here. The same way, some of that could have landed on another planet far away from here, millions of years before or after, and considering the basic requirements for life to grow, they could have potentially evolved to something very similar to the first animals we had here.

If they landed there before us, it's probable they are smarter than us now.
But hey, maybe that's just crap talking, we never know.