Photoshop Substitute

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Slayer1

Jun 17, 2000
Manchester, England
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I've been mapping for years. I started off with Doom and never looked back! I released three Deathmatch levels for UT99 three or so years ago (if you're interested DM-Vault, DM-Machine and DM-Oppressor). I've so far made one UT2004 map which will be released very shortly. (Once my Broadband is restored!).

Anyway thats enough shameless self promotion.

I've finally decided I want to be able to create my own textures.

What I want to know here is the best software substitute to Photoshop if you can't afford £500 (or $s, Yen, or whatever other currency you work in). I'm looking at Paintshop Pro. Would I be able to do everything required with this? And is there a better option? Thanks in advance guys.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Slayer1 said:
Hi Guys,

I've been mapping for years. I started off with Doom and never looked back! I released three Deathmatch levels for UT99 three or so years ago (if you're interested DM-Vault, DM-Machine and DM-Oppressor). I've so far made one UT2004 map which will be released very shortly. (Once my Broadband is restored!).

Anyway thats enough shameless self promotion.

I've finally decided I want to be able to create my own textures.

What I want to know here is the best software substitute to Photoshop if you can't afford £500 (or $s, Yen, or whatever other currency you work in). I'm looking at Paintshop Pro. Would I be able to do everything required with this? And is there a better option? Thanks in advance guys.

There are tons a progs out there man,and a zillion ways to make textures,
photoshop is highly over rated anyway,look for corel6 there are alot of plugins in it.The photoshop boys were paying 100 dallars per plug in that came with Corel Photopaint6.
But,there are alot of texture generators,and then use Jasco(corel bought them too) PSP Paint Shop Pro ,to edit the generated texture.
There are also progs that will allighn difficult areas in ut or ut04 freeware things,also progs to convert d3d filetypes, Get corelsuite 12.
Photoshop was writtin for a Mac first and i never liked it when I tried it
it's for mac heads.

Oh and in corel7 they took out alot of the stuff (3rd party plugins),and in corel 6 after you make the texture you may need to convert them to .DDS wich there is a prog for that too freeware.
Also you might try that bit torrent thing.

Last edited:

Slayer1

Jun 17, 2000
Manchester, England
Visit site
ReD_Fist said:
There are tons a progs out there man,and a zillion ways to make textures,
photoshop is highly over rated anyway,look for corel6 there are alot of plugins in it.The photoshop boys were paying 100 dallars per plug in that came with Corel Photopaint6.
But,there are alot of texture generators,and then use Jasco(corel bought them too) PSP Paint Shop Pro ,to edit the generated texture.
There are also progs that will allighn difficult areas in ut or ut04 freeware things,also progs to convert d3d filetypes, Get corelsuite 12.
Photoshop was writtin for a Mac first and i never liked it when I tried it
it's for mac heads.

Oh and in corel7 they took out alot of the stuff (3rd party plugins),and in corel 6 after you make the texture you may need to convert them to .DDS wich there is a prog for that too freeware.
Also you might try that bit torrent thing.

Thanks Red Fist. Corel is an option I hadn't considered but I'll consider it now.