Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
You are dumber than i even thought you were.

You cannot dream within a dream. This is why the sentry's were set up that way. You also cannot fall asleep in your dream. Again, this is why the whole adventure was set up that is why they needed a new architect to design it. Leo had obviously fell asleep and has a dream, so at the end of the movie we know it is real.

And you obviously can't read.

"or maybe I am over analyzing it"

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You are dumber than i even thought you were.

You cannot dream within a dream. This is why the sentry's were set up that way. You also cannot fall asleep in your dream. Again, this is why the whole adventure was set up that is why they needed a new architect to design it. Leo had obviously fell asleep and has a dream, so at the end of the movie we know it is real.
How about this for a mind twister then :p
What if the entire movie is a dream about using the dreaming machines but it's not actually possible to enter person's dream he is just dreaming that? :p

What I think is most likely is that he has never stopped dreaming since he and Mal went to Limbo. She was right, they never woke up.

The movie has no rules. Presumably you could go even lower than Limbo... that part of the dream world is nebulous. If Limbo is a common area where people hang out when some specific circumstances happens to them, then why isn't it constantly populated with other people?

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Resident Evil 4 3D - 6.5/10
Some pretty good action scenes, especially the one with the guy with the huge "axe". First movie I've seen in 3D, I kinda like it!

Overall, entertaining but I felt like there wasn't enough things happening in the movie and the plot wasn't too good.

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
Into the Wild....7 out of 10 was pretty good movie for something my girlfriend just picked up because she read one of the books that the author of the book that the movie was based off of had written before...I liked it kind of messed up ending but it was a still a good movie.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Into the Wild....7 out of 10 was pretty good movie for something my girlfriend just picked up because she read one of the books that the author of the book that the movie was based off of had written before...I liked it kind of messed up ending but it was a still a good movie.

My favorite part of that movie was that the idiot kid died.

~Jason

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
The Social Network - 6.5/10

I guess I was expecting more since this had a 95% on rottentomatoes. I had zero interest in this film (a movie about facebook, really?), but when I saw the reviews I just had to.

Good dialogue, I'll give it that, but I see no reason to ever watch this again. It's a movie about Facebook for Christs sake! Good for what it was though.

Let Me In - 8/10

A Renfield parable, only told with pre-teens.

I'll be up front with saying that I have not watched the Swedish original, nor have I read the book both films are based on, although it's fairer to say that both films were made by people more interested in the relationship between the two main characters than much else of what was in the original story. Given what I have learned of the novel and the Swedish film following my viewing of Let Me In, I think this is perhaps a good thing.

I say this because I've been down that route before, as a reader and viewer. The stunted immortal yarn concerning vampire children has been explored, often with pedophilic subtext. The book, I'm told, contains these elements, and I've also been educated by a friend (a fan of the original, who appreciated this remake as a rare success, or as he worded it, "probably the purist, best version") even the Swedish film has one pivotal scene that is omitted from Let Me In and was absent in the film I watched...as was the incriminating context it raises. I know that I am thankful that it was, for while it would not have changed the very real affection these two character share for each other on screen (the acting is superb for this genre) it would have irreparably colored how I perceived the film, if only because it would put in my mind distracting questions that the story does better not to propose in the first place.

I refer to the scene with the "scar," which alludes to a kind of androgyny that is probably better as an unused element from the book, and if the Swedish film is as close to what Reeves has remade here then it sounds like enough of those elements were absent anyway, so why include it?

This is certainly a vampire movie, let me make that clear for the uninitiated. It is brutal when it needs to be. But it's also something else. There's always a bond between Vampire and Familiar that gets glossed over in film. The Renfields of cinema are more often one-note crazies than anything else. The core of the film focuses on this aspect and shows it in a way most other Vampire stories have little time for. There's some powerful stuff in the friendship that develops, in both the performances and what they implicate. I speak not only about the boy and his vampire girlfriend, but the man posing as her "Father." I noticed a detail in Abby's handwritten notes that show the kind of sophisticated penmanship that one can only get with age. By comparison, an early scene reveals a note left by "the father" that I saw only in the circumstance revealed to me at the time. But later, when this scene is revisited and the extent of the character's ability is shown (despite a particularly injury), the sloppy misspelling of a simple apology alludes to a very important character trait, and speaks to the kind of sacrifice a Renfield must give for his vampire.

There are subtle touches like these that leave a lot of room for thought. Is Abby's affection genuine, or is it a defense mechanism? A well-learned, well-disciplined defense mechanism? The film is smart in that it purposely fails to self-analyze. I recently saw a heist film during the summer months called Inception, you might have heard of it. I enjoyed it for what it was at the time, although not nearly as much as most people. But what that film lacked, this one has in spades. And that is subtle storytelling. Some might say this one is too subtle for their own good, but I liked it very much. The last vampire movie I saw prior to this one was Daybreakers, and it's good to know that despite the Blade-wannabees, the True Bloods (which I also enjoy, but for different reasons, least of all how it expands Vampire lore), and how vampires have been shown lately in a post-Twihard world, that meaningful storytelling on the subject can still be made.

It's not a scary movie, but I never really got the impression watching it that it was very interested in being one. The musical score certainly does not belong to a horror movie, and by the time the credits rolled I could not recall seeing a single slasher cliche.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Let Me In - 8/10
I say this because I've been down that route before, as a reader and viewer. The stunted immortal yarn concerning vampire children has been explored, often with pedophilic subtext. The book, I'm told, contains these elements, and I've also been educated by a friend (a fan of the original, who appreciated this remake as a rare success, or as he worded it, "probably the purist, best version") even the Swedish film has one pivotal scene that is omitted from Let Me In and was absent in the film I watched...as was the incriminating context it raises. I know that I am thankful that it was, for while it would not have changed the very real affection these two character share for each other on screen (the acting is superb for this genre) it would have irreparably colored how I perceived the film, if only because it would put in my mind distracting questions that the story does better not to propose in the first place.

I refer to the scene with the "scar," which alludes to a kind of androgyny that is probably better as an unused element from the book, and if the Swedish film is as close to what Reeves has remade here then it sounds like enough of those elements were absent anyway, so why include it?

So first of all, when have you been down that path, and second, how the hell do they explain the old guys loyalty then? Kind of a plot hole there. :con:

Also, that scar scene really didn't distract me from the rest of the movie, it was just a short 'I'm not sure what to think of that' moment.

Overall, lol @ this stuff being too much for American audiences. :rolleyes:

There are subtle touches like these that leave a lot of room for thought. Is Abby's affection genuine, or is it a defense mechanism?

Hmm, I didn't really notice any subtle story telling and I thought it was pretty clear that the affection was genuine. What kind of defense mechanism would that be anyways? She gets nothing material out of the relationship. What sparked it was probably just her loneliness and she saw some relation to him. Hence later on when she says something along the lines of them being similar. Meh.

Edit:
Also they went off together at the end, that would only be a burden to her. Kind of ironic how she's a pedo too. :lol:

Last edited:
So first of all, when have you been down that path...

This isn't the first story, or movie for that matter, about vampire/immortal children. I've seen/read them before, I meant.

and second, how the hell do they explain the old guys loyalty then? Kind of a plot hole there. :con:

You've seen the movie?

In the American film, when Abby let's Owen into her apartment he finds the old puzzles and a strip of aged film with her sitting beside another little boy who bears an uncanny resemblance to "the father."

So no, not a plot hole.

Also, that scar scene really didn't distract me from the rest of the movie, it was just a short 'I'm not sure what to think of that' moment.

I was not even aware of the "scar" scene from the Swedish movie or even the stronger details left out of the book until after I saw this version. I say it would have been distracting because, as I understand it, the scene in question goes unresolved and was actually the remains of a backstory that was left out of the final Swedish cut. I don't mean that it would be distracting as in, "oh gross man, wtf?" No, I mean that it would have put an element in my mind as I was watching that would have put the relationship in an added complexity.

I guess I just felt the human/vampire bond was strong and interesting enough without adding a transgendered immortal subtext that the film had no intention of exploring, but only tease with. I also understand that the girl chosen for the part of Eli in the Swedish version was made to be more androgynous from the outset, whereas this was not the case with Let Me In. Not having seen the Swedish version I cannot comment on how this plays out. I'm speaking only of the version I saw, and how out of place a brief half second moment like that would have been.

Overall, lol @ this stuff being too much for American audiences. :rolleyes:

I've heard this as well and feel the same way. There are Anne Rice books that cover similar territory as appears in the Let The Right One In novel, and goes just as far with it (perhaps farther). The point is that both films omit the really "wha...?" stuff, don't they? I think most of the concern about an American remake is that, as is often the case, remakes are of poor quality and America has a habit of importing bad horror from other countries (see all those silly J-Horror movies. They are just as dumb in their original forms as they are with Sarah Michelle Gellar). Usually American remakes of their own movies are so bad, why wouldn't this be? So I can understand the sentiment. But as for, erm, American audiences "not being able to handle this," I can only :lol:

Hmm, I didn't really notice any subtle story telling and I thought it was pretty clear that the affection was genuine. What kind of defense mechanism would that be anyways? She gets nothing material out of the relationship. What sparked it was probably just her loneliness and she saw some relation to him. Hence later on when she says something along the lines of them being similar. Meh.

Again, you've seen the same version? Also, it kind of makes sense that a vampire's "life" wouldn't all be glamor and raves, especially if you are trapped in the body of a child and need blood to survive. You can't stay on your own and you need a caretaker for the day (hence the Renfield yarn). You need someone who can walk in the day and who you can trust with your life when you're at your most vulnerable. And you have to be prepared to accept that this relationship will be temporary, and that you will one day have to find a replacement. Also, it plays in how Abby lays in wait for a kind jogger who crosses her path one night (again, this version). She plays the part of the child, always, except when she's killing. What I find curious is whether or not the affection is genuine (it sure seems like it is) or if it is merely a well studied art of manipulation. I'm not saying it's as easy as an on/off behavior trait, as some scenes obviously say differently. The film deals with this Renfield relationship seriously, so I consider it seriously. Perhaps the manipulation goes two-ways? Maybe she loves her Renfields in increments? This is just speculation of course.

The movie is quite clear about how "the father" is at the end of his rope, and how the affection he once had with Abby has been worn by decades. He is essentially being replaced, and knows it. Hence why he is so sloppy and almost willing to get caught.

Edit:
Also they went off together at the end, that would only be a burden to her. Kind of ironic how she's a pedo too. :lol:

Of course they went off together. That was the point. And yes, you could talk about the "she's older than him!" aspect. There is no telling within the film how old she even is, or how much age has eroded any sense of herself as a little girl. "I'm not a girl," she says, and that's the way I took it.

Last edited:

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
who framed roger rabbit : 9/10
awesome movie. it didn't age at all. :)

spaceballs : 10/10
what else ?

the number 23 : 8/10
surprising to see Jim carrey in a non-humoristic role, but it shows how much of a great actor he is. the story is silly at times, but the atmosphere manages to stay constant. I missed the crescendo at the end, and I'm left unfulfilled, but it was a very enjoyable thriller. :)

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
This isn't the first story, or movie for that matter, about vampire/immortal children. I've seen/read them before, I meant.

Yeah I know, I was simply asking which specific works are similar? I've never encountered anything like that.

I was not even aware of the "scar" scene from the Swedish movie or even the stronger details left out of the book until after I saw this version. I say it would have been distracting because, as I understand it, the scene in question goes unresolved and was actually the remains of a backstory that was left out of the final Swedish cut. I don't mean that it would be distracting as in, "oh gross man, wtf?" No, I mean that it would have put an element in my mind as I was watching that would have put the relationship in an added complexity.

I guess I just felt the human/vampire bond was strong and interesting enough without adding a transgendered immortal subtext that the film had no intention of exploring, but only tease with. I also understand that the girl chosen for the part of Eli in the Swedish version was made to be more androgynous from the outset, whereas this was not the case with Let Me In. Not having seen the Swedish version I cannot comment on how this plays out. I'm speaking only of the version I saw, and how out of place a brief half second moment like that would have been.

Yeah, it was sort of out of place and random, but not that out of place. The boy liked her and just wanted a peek, but wasn't expecting that. So it could be seen as an answer to what she asked him earlier, 'Would you still like me if I wasn't a girl?' The answer obviously being yes since he continued to like her. Meh though, like I said it didn't make me think too much, so no point in analyzing the scene any further.

I've heard this as well and feel the same way. There are Anne Rice books that cover similar territory as appears in the Let The Right One In novel, and goes just as far with it (perhaps farther). The point is that both films omit the really "wha...?" stuff, don't they? I think most of the concern about an American remake is that, as is often the case, remakes are of poor quality and America has a habit of importing bad horror from other countries (see all those silly J-Horror movies. They are just as dumb in their original forms as they are with Sarah Michelle Gellar). Usually American remakes of their own movies are so bad, why wouldn't this be? So I can understand the sentiment. But as for, erm, American audiences "not being able to handle this," I can only :lol:

At the end of your comment, well sure, people can handle it, but I have the feeling the decision maker whether to include scenes like that in the American version was that it might bother some people or have some controversy.

I wasn't referring to or even thinking of the fact that a bunch of Hollywood remakes end up being crappy, which I'll agree with you on.

As for more of the stuff that both films omit from the book, I have no idea what that may be. :eek:

You've seen the movie?

In the American film, when Abby let's Owen into her apartment he finds the old puzzles and a strip of aged film with her sitting beside another little boy who bears an uncanny resemblance to "the father."

So no, not a plot hole.

Again, you've seen the same version? Also, it kind of makes sense that a vampire's "life" wouldn't all be glamor and raves, especially if you are trapped in the body of a child and need blood to survive. You can't stay on your own and you need a caretaker for the day (hence the Renfield yarn). You need someone who can walk in the day and who you can trust with your life when you're at your most vulnerable. And you have to be prepared to accept that this relationship will be temporary, and that you will one day have to find a replacement. Also, it plays in how Abby lays in wait for a kind jogger who crosses her path one night (again, this version). She plays the part of the child, always, except when she's killing. What I find curious is whether or not the affection is genuine (it sure seems like it is) or if it is merely a well studied art of manipulation. I'm not saying it's as easy as an on/off behavior trait, as some scenes obviously say differently. The film deals with this Renfield relationship seriously, so I consider it seriously. Perhaps the manipulation goes two-ways? Maybe she loves her Renfields in increments? This is just speculation of course.

The movie is quite clear about how "the father" is at the end of his rope, and how the affection he once had with Abby has been worn by decades. He is essentially being replaced, and knows it. Hence why he is so sloppy and almost willing to get caught.

Of course they went off together. That was the point. And yes, you could talk about the "she's older than him!" aspect. There is no telling within the film how old she even is, or how much age has eroded any sense of herself as a little girl. "I'm not a girl," she says, and that's the way I took it.

Oooohh okay, now I see why you're questioning her affection for him, it all has to do with that old film strip scene. No I haven't seen the American version, only Swedish. That film strip scene puts it in your mind that they were once good friends like her and the new boy, therefore you think that she either stopped caring about him as much or just used him the whole time, or is at least planning to use the new boy the whole time.

In the Swedish film there is no question that the affection is genuine because the old guy that is doing stuff for her is just that, an old guy that is being used by her. Probably easily replaceable with another old guy, so no need for an elaborate scheme to get the affection of a young boy that might one day help her out with getting blood, ect.

That was the point

Not sure exactly what you mean by that, but it wasn't the point in the Swedish film, it was just spontaneous because after all those boys were killed they had to gtfo, or maybe just she had to and he decided to go too.
It didn't have any feeling that that could have possibly been her plan to eventually get another helper or something

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
That's the one with Samuel L Jackson, right?

If so, I can't really agree with your rating. Kinda hated the movie, it felt kinda meaningless tbh.

Jonah Hex - 1/10

Horrible plot, horrible dialogue, bad specialeffects (most of the skies feels completely wrong and unrealistic), extremely bad soundtrack!

Josh Brolin and John Malkovich try their bestest to make the movie better but it's just impossible to get past the lousy dialogue, sad to see such good actors in a movie this bad.

Tbh, I can only think of 1 thing in this movie that isn't bad and thus the reason for the 1 point in my rating, the movie is only 80 minutes long. Thank god!

Last edited:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Iron Man 2, 7/10

Perfectly fine as a popcorn superhero movie you'd watch on a lazy evening. I think I'd be far more critical of it if I had made a weekend thing of it to go see it in the cinemars or something.

Yeah, it was sort of out of place and random, but not that out of place. The boy liked her and just wanted a peek, but wasn't expecting that. So it could be seen as an answer to what she asked him earlier, 'Would you still like me if I wasn't a girl?' The answer obviously being yes since he continued to like her. Meh though, like I said it didn't make me think too much, so no point in analyzing the scene any further.

It probably isn't a big deal in the Sweede version, but I've only seen the American one and I only mean that in the context of that movie, the scar seen would have been out of place.

As for more of the stuff that both films omit from the book, I have no idea what that may be. :eek:

As I understand it there's plenty of stuff they removed.

In the book Eli is a castrated boy, and the stuff about the old man is fleshed out. Plus there are a lot of other side characters that have bigger roles. Lot of backstory too.

Oooohh okay, now I see why you're questioning her affection for him, it all has to do with that old film strip scene. No I haven't seen the American version, only Swedish. That film strip scene puts it in your mind that they were once good friends like her and the new boy, therefore you think that she either stopped caring about him as much or just used him the whole time, or is at least planning to use the new boy the whole time.

In the Swedish film there is no question that the affection is genuine because the old guy that is doing stuff for her is just that, an old guy that is being used by her. Probably easily replaceable with another old guy, so no need for an elaborate scheme to get the affection of a young boy that might one day help her out with getting blood, ect.

------------

Not sure exactly what you mean by that, but it wasn't the point in the Swedish film, it was just spontaneous because after all those boys were killed they had to gtfo, or maybe just she had to and he decided to go too.
It didn't have any feeling that that could have possibly been her plan to eventually get another helper or something

I will watch the Swedish version when I get a chance, as I am curious about the differences. Bottom line though, I enjoyed the movie I saw. I probably would not have enjoyed it as much if I saw the other film first and I completely admit that. I also think it's clear that Let Me In is a good movie because the Swedish movie is good, and because the main aspects of the story are interesting. I was a little skeptical because Reeve's last film, Cloverfield, had the emotional human chemistry of a sack of bricks. But I was surprised with this one. It's definitely a big benefit to my experience that I didn't see the Swedish version first.

Last edited: