Unreal Tournament GOTY runs better with older video card?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

recycledsoul

Aug 11, 2011
Hello
Recently i upgraded from geforce 7300 128mb to geforce 9800 1GB ddr3.
unreal tournament 99 was running better with the older video card.
is there anything i can do to fix it?
thanks

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
UT runs extremely well even on latest graphics cards, just be sure to use right renderer and configure your settings properly.

recycledsoul

Aug 11, 2011
Hello my friends
here is what has happened so far.
bought computer
installed unreal anthology
installed new video card on it
ut2k4 and UT 3 work great, but unreal tournament doesnt work well.
@elmer fud - which INI's do i delete? are they in the system folder?
@skillz - which drivers would differ from gforce 7300 to geforce 9800gt? how should i uninstall them?
@raynor - should i use direct3D or the general rendering option?
thank you all for your help

Raynor.Z

Feb 1, 2006
recycledsoul, you definitely should use updated OpenGL instead of standard Direct3D renderer, follow link in my signature for Unreal Tournament Tweak Guide.

recycledsoul

Aug 11, 2011
Hello Raynor,
thanks
i downloaded the opengl v36
i didnt download s3tc files, because i am not sure i need it, it seems like its just for better character appearence? i changed the display / render options in ~preferences console.
i am getting some squarish looking textures / lighting. i am not sure why? did i do something wrong, do i have to download the s3tc files?
thanks

Raynor.Z

Feb 1, 2006
Looks rather like a driver issue. Make sure you run latest from nvidia if you have Geforce card. Then get the latest OpenGL (version 3.7) and re-configure all the settings. (or download pre-configured INI from the thread). Does it also happen with Direct3D9 renderer?

recycledsoul

Aug 11, 2011
should i use SLI from Nvidia?
I will try to get opengl 3.7 and download the INI
i will let you know thanks alot raynor

recycledsoul

Aug 11, 2011
hello i cant seem to find opengl 3.7
i tried direct3d and its the same problem
after the i download the ini config the textures arent squarwe anymore, but it gets really laggy and slow, especially around other characters

Raynor.Z

Feb 1, 2006
Direct3D and Direct3D9 are different things (first one ships with game, later one is made by other person). Go here: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/ and look for utglr37.zip (OpenGL v3.7) or utd3d9r13.zip (Direct3D9 v1.3)
Also make sure you disable any stuff from nvidia control panel (or whatever it is called) so game has control over texture detail, anti-aliasing etc. settings.

Last edited:

recycledsoul

Aug 11, 2011
hello an update. the square textures are gone with d3d9, but the lag is there, especially around the characters, my mouse moves really sluggish. i will try more of your suggestions
thanks

recycledsoul

Aug 11, 2011
ok i just look at nvidia control panel- i said 'let me decide' rather than 'let the program decide' - i hope thats right
thanks

Raynor.Z

Feb 1, 2006
Turn off anti-aliasing (UseAA=False in UnrealTournament.ini) and see if it makes any difference. Enable DirectImput and disable Mouse Smoothing under Preferences -> Imput to get rid of mouse lag. Make sure to restart game after the changes.

medor

Mar 15, 2009
just testing this UT http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7

It have opengl and d3d9 inside.
MaxAnisotropy, NumAASamples, UseAA, UseVSync, FrameRateLimit, MinDesiredFrameRate are set in. (no need to break your head)

Direct start with opengl....if you whant d3d9 select it in game preferences or
UnrealTournament.ini
[Engine.Engine]
change ___ GameRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
for _____ GameRenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice

recycledsoul

Aug 11, 2011
thanks raynor for everything
AA was already false
I will try to disable mouse smoothing and enable directinput
using windows Vista