Fresh meat anyone?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Crusha

Nov 14, 2000
Visit site
Hi, I just got this game with a new sound card. I am not new to FPS games. I have played Q2 for a couple of years. There is obviously a lot to get used to in this game. Primarily, the weapons and map/item locations. I have read about some patches and "bonus packs" around too. Can anyone give me the quick version of what I should do in what order to play online? I have only played in training mode a couple of times. Thanks!

HeltSkelt

Aug 24, 2000
Visit site
First off, get the epic Bonus Pack, and the latest patch for UT. most servers are running with those two. I am sure someoneelse can post a link to the for you. You can also download the innox map pack, as a few servers run some maps from there. That is basically all you really need to start playing online.

Stosh

A legend in his own mind
Feb 9, 2000
Southern MD, US
clanci.xgshosting.com
Go through the single player game... Start Unreal Tournament in the menu. That way you play all of the standard maps, and all of the game modes. It helps you know the maps, and you can decide which game mode you like best.

Join the PuFladder 1on1 DM at http://www.myleague.com/pufladder ...it will help your deathmatching skills. Learn to use all of the weapons, setup up keybinds to switch weapons quickly. The translocater is your friend. An extremely versatile tool,(and weapon). Shock Combo's are something else to learn, a difficult skill to master, but very deadly.

Learn to think, anticipate where the enemy is going. Learn what weapons work in what situation.

Also, don't get too frustrated if you get stomped on a lot, you will get better.

Crusha

Nov 14, 2000
Visit site
wow!

Thanks very much for all of that! As far as binding keys, I have done that. Remember, I said I had played Q2 for a while. I play the lithium mod, so there is an offhand hook that needs to be bound, and readily accessible. I find that I have more free fingers with UT than I do with Q2 lith.

Now further questions, can you create "aliases" to execute certain actions with a single key stroke as you can in Quake? I read about dodging somewhere on here, found it in the options last night and turned it on. I didn't notice any difference from when it was off??

The translocater is going to take some getting used to. Is it used in all UT games online or just FFA? Do most of you have a key bound to call it up to fire, or do you use it and then return to your weapons?

Butress

The Bearer of Humpage
Jan 13, 2000
Visit site
well, lessee....

dodging is accomplished by tapping your direction keys twice in quick succession. I'm fairly sure that you can't bind this to a one-keystroke alias....

as far as TL. most of the game types use it... Assault probably doesn't... but I haven't played that in many months. Most servers have the xloc enabled... a must have for a lot of CTF levels... if you look up on certian levels you'll find all sorts of goodies that only the xloc can reach. As far as binding... personally my bind just calls it up and i use my fire buttons for its actual use. then switch back when i'm done... but thats just me... I know that you can bind the xloc to fire on key press and xloc you on release but i don;t use it that way.... but i'm not good either so don't take my example there....

hope that helped... :)

hobart_paving

May 30, 2000
Visit site
word of advice, try to find some newbie servers to play on when you start out. there was another guy who was coming to ut from q2/q3a on a server i was on the other night. unfortunately, the server was swineonline and was chock full of l33t clanners(gf, syn, 318, dd, etc.). we had our own contingent of sobs on there, but i wouldn't put us in the same category. :D anyway, while we were playing an intense game of hydro, this guy was like, "hey, where did you guys get the rocket launchers?". hehe. poor guy was getting slaughtered. the thing is, he wasn't that bad with "traditional" fps weapons like the rocket launcher. just wasn't used to the x-loc or other weird ut weapons. dividedsky was speccing and was trying to tell the guy to shoot his shock ball with the shock primary. :)

everyone on the server was quite nice and tried to help him out, but i think he ended up with like a 25% efficiency. can't imagine that the experience was that great for him. hehe.

Crusha

Nov 14, 2000
Visit site
heh, people were nice to a newbie? That's a start in itself. As for the shock ball with the primary, at least I know what you mean and I can pull it off. I'm not worried about getting owned, that's what newbie status brings. Sounds like the guy fired up the game and then jumped on a server. That's why I'm here. I want to get as many newb questions answered as possible before I try and jump into the mix. As I said earler, the xloc will probably be the most difficult to adapt to because it's a completely different animal than I'm used to, but I'm sure I'll catch on. Remember, when you finally see me in server, don't shoot!! :)

Thanks again for all the help provided here. Sounds like a good community.